Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: BBQ in Texas

Boolit Buddy

BBQ in Texas

I have a friend whose son is stationed near Austin. I wanted to tell her about a BBQ place just northwest of Austin, but couldn't remember the name. Want to say Salt Lick? but not sure. Smoking pits are inside. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, C.R.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Franklin’s is the one I hear about all the time in Austin.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never been able to get around Franklin's ... insane crowds around the place ... we couldn't get in / near the place .
    But Salt Lick is one of our favorites ... big place with lots of dining area(s)...and parking !
    I like Salt Lick a lot ... I even bought a "Salt Lick" Tee Shirt to show off ... people in Baton Rouge , Louisiana stop me on the street to talk Salt Lick .
    We have been there many times and always enjoyed the food and atmosphere ... it's like a big old ranch on a hill top ... Cool Place and awesome food .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-05-2024 at 06:31 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

If he gets a bit more north tell him to stop by Half Dogs BBQ (Half Dogs house). He won’t beat the price and I try to help young service members.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    There are a lot of great BBQ places in Austin but if you are there you have to go to Franklins. There are always people waiting in line for hours before it even opens but at one time if you ordered $100 you could just call it in then walk past all those people to pick up your order. But this was years ago so see if they still do it.

Boolit Master

I have never been to a BBQ dinner in Texas that didn't have incredible food. And that is from Galveston to Corpus Christi.
    My wife was amazed. A huge warehouse like restaurant beside the highway with truckers access.
    Living in Texas would shorten my lifespan considerable
    A $8 plate of BBQ sausage, ribs, brisket, and vegetable trimmin's would feed one Texan or 5 or so Liberals
    And the best thing, no vegans in sight.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    I have never been to a BBQ dinner in Texas that didn't have incredible food. And that is from Galveston to Corpus Christi.
    My wife was amazed. A huge warehouse like restaurant beside the highway with truckers access.
    Living in Texas would shorten my lifespan considerable
    A $8 plate of BBQ sausage, ribs, brisket, and vegetable trimmin's would feed one Texan or 5 or so Liberals
    And the best thing, no vegans in sight.

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Best BBQ brisket in Austin is Franklin's. The only one that does it better is me, but it takes 12 hours & it's not for sale!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    BBQ in Texas is like pizza joints in Chicago - there are good ones everywhere. The competition is such that bad ones go out of business quickly - same as taco shops.

We like Harmon’s in Cibolo. It’s a little family place on the square. Their brisket is superlative. Cooper’s is good, too - and they have several locations; the one in Junction is one of the better ones.

Boolit Master
    Lot of times I grab something at the Salt Lick in the airport on my way out of Austin.

Stiles Switch BBQ is on Lamar on the NW side of Austin.

Donn's on 969 is where I usually go.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys, Wilco that's the one I'm thinking of. Thanks, C.R.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Head up HWY 71 from Austin. When you get to LLano, stop at Coopers. DON'T go on Sunday, as you'll never get in the joint! Go early if you want the goat, as it sells out quick! And... GO HUNGRY!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy

The only place I would go to when I lived in Austin was Iron Works BBQ. It used to be a hole-in-the-wall place, but more people go there now.