WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stories from the past

Boolit Master

Stories from the past

My Mother passed about three years ago and I still have a lot of her personal things in the building. Occasionally I will find something that brings back old stories. My maternal grandmother was born 1903-1905, can't say for sure. She was raised in Buncombe Co. NC, on Butler Mt., just a little southeast of Asheville, NC. It was a hard scrabble and harsh life. She had a older brother that would come to our house and visit for a week at the time every couple years. He would set around and tell stories. Their last name was Ruff and they pretty much lived up to it. This is one of the best.

When he was a young boy he was at the local trading post when a wagon came in. He described them as hard dirty rough men with long beards and hair dressed mostly in buckskins. He said they lived way back in the mountains and came in a couple times a year to trade. They had herbs, bear and deer hides and wanted salt, coffee, gunpowder and lead. He described their rifles as long black heavy bear guns that loaded from the front, almost long as they were tall. They carried the powder in old cow horns and a bag for the balls. The store owner knew them and would welcome them but the locals avoided them.

This was probably a 120 years ago, must have been some of the last true mountain men in the area. Still living like the 1820's.

Alvin York and his neighbors were using front loaders when the U.S. entered WW1. They thought the war was against the British at first.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I love reading about stuff like this, I find it very interesting.

Boolit Master
    Great story. Great memories. Makes me think of my grand parents.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Hey Beemer. Was you at Hickory yesterday?

Sorry about your Mom Beemer.
    Thanks for the story.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    jsizemore, no, do we know each other.

WILCO, I need to start writing this stuff down. Crazy kinfolks make for some interesting stories and a few war stories thrown for good measure.

I read an article several years back of someone working in the Appalachian Mts in 1900's, maybe Kephart. Anyway I can't find it again, it was about people living in the mountains far from any civilization. They were very independent, backwards and self reliant. Basically living in the early 1800's.

Boolit Master

Many people really need to record their old family stories. I think it is said that as long as the stories are told and the old peoples names are mentioned they still live.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Just wondered if you had been at the groundhog shoot Saturday morning and I might have passed you.

Boolit Master

One of my grandfathers younger friends told me how as a teen ager during the depression and into WWII they resorted to muzzle loaders to hunt with as black powder was still available He even showed me several civil war Muskets that they had reamed to 20 Gauge smooth bores .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    My Maternal Grandfather was born in 1898. He told me that when he was about 10 his father took an old ML rifle to a gunsmith and had the rifling cut out so he could use shot. He was not a gun person but did explain to me how the rifling messes with the shot.

Another family member said his grandfather used a hawg rifle well into the 30's. They tried to kill a big hog with a 22, six shots didn't do the job. Grandpa said I'll fix'em. He pulled out the old rifle and poured in one charge, looked at the hog and poured in another. When the smoke cleared the hog had dropped in it's tracks. The rifle was, he thought a 30 something cal. and the charger about the size of a thimble.

Boolit Master
    beemer,, we are also neighbors.

I know several folks with the last name Ruff.

I know where Butler Mtn is.

And I still know a few folks that are considered old timey mountain folks that come close to the description you gave. But instead of front stuffers,, they now use more modern cartridge guns. One of them died a few years ago. He was living in a cave locally.
    I was born in the original Bat Cave Valley Clinic,, built by the mountain folks in the early 1950's. (Dr. George Bond was the driving person behind it's building, and was it's first doctor.)

And speaking of front stuffers,, or the modern term, muzzleloaders,,, my son's FIL is world renown,, Jim Chambers of Chamber's Flintlocks. My DIL is the president of the company. From Candler up until just recently. My DIL has been on a couple of Tundra Swan hunts,, and her last swan was taken with a 10 ga. Flintlock. Never heard of that happening in any modern times.

Yep,, old timers, and especially mountain folks,, and the stories of their lives can be quite interesting.

Boolit Buddy
    Good stories, reminds me of a friend I met on a construction job in Virginia about 1974.
    He and his brother were taking vacation to go home and install indoor plumbing in their parents' house.
    He said they live back up in the hills outside Sunbright Tenn.
    I was 19 at the time he was in his early 30s and amazed at no indoor plumbing.
    He would tell some great stories about he and his brother hunting and fishing.
    He would school you really quick in a horseshoe or washer game.

Boolit Master
    Danmat, when we moved to this area of the county in the 60's there were a good many families that had no indoor plumbing. One didn't even have a outhouse. Dad built a simple block house but had two baths, people had a hard time believing that.

Contender1, I called Chambers while close to Asheville a couple years ago. Talked to a lady about a lock but they didn't have any in stock. Ended up buying a Chambers from DGW. Have a Rice barrel but haven't started it yet. My Mother was in contact with some older Ruff's from the area a good many wears ago but most have likely passed by now.

Anyone have a good one to tell, probably do another shortly myself.

Boolit Master
    beemer,, the lady you most likely spoke with is my DIL. She took over as president of the company a while back, and handles much of the day-to-day stuff. And especially phone orders.

Chambers Flintlocks has now officially moved to S.C. Long story,, but soon,, Jim will be there as well. He's in the process of selling his house in Candler,, and has already made a deal on a house in SC near the new shop.

Old timey stories,, let's see.

In my area,, there is a mountain called "Rumbling Bald." It got it's name from a long ago earthquake. The face of the mountain is a large granite rock. That's the "bald" portion.
    The "rumbling" part came from an earthquake that happened in the early 1800's. Apparently,, there used to be a preacher who lived up on the mountain. He was well known far & wide. Kinda tall & black headed. An imposing figure. Well, the quake happened,, and when he came down the mountain following it,, his hair had turned snow white. And all the old timers here would talk about how he could really preach after that event. I've got good friends,, who's relatives have shared that story for generations. They ALL swore it was a true story.

Moderator Emeritus

In 1976, 22 yrs old, I was duck hunting on the shores of the Snake River outside Blackfoot Idaho. We were on the State side the opposite was Reservation land. It was a cool November morning and I had on brown insulated coveralls, probably Walls as I could not afford Carharts, A friend and I watched as the fog rolled in, and when it left 2 native young men ran about 25 horses into the river to water them. We had ground decoys set up several hundred yards away but could see them clearly. One had a breech cloth and no shirt or shoes, the other had Levi's and boots but no shirt. They watered their pony's and left in about 2 minutes. Both were riding bareback with hackamores. I told Danny those boys were tougher than I was and he said "tougher than me, too".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    My Dad owned several Harley motor cycles before WW2, a 1927, 1928 and a '36 Knuck. He bought the Knuck almost new, traded the '28 and gave $350. They allowed $25 for the '28. Too give a perspective he was making $700 a year working in a cotton mill. He paid for the bike by selling corn liquor his BIL made. He was raised in Taylorsville, NC but living in Troutman, NC. Once a week he would ride the bike to Taylorsville get a load. Could pack a case of quart jars in the bags. There was a old road house on US 21 between Troutman and Statesville called Doodlums. Dad would peddle the shine out there on Saturday night.

He Met Mom while living there, returned after the war and got married. I was born there in '52. He moved back to Alexander in 1963.

Boolit Master
    There are a TON of moonshine stories in our mountains! Good one!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    In 1976, 22 yrs old, I was duck hunting on the shores of the Snake River outside Blackfoot Idaho. We were on the State side the opposite was Reservation land. It was a cool November morning and I had on brown insulated coveralls, probably Walls as I could not afford Carharts, A friend and I watched as the fog rolled in, and when it left 2 native young men ran about 25 horses into the river to water them. We had ground decoys set up several hundred yards away but could see them clearly. One had a breech cloth and no shirt or shoes, the other had Levi's and boots but no shirt. They watered their pony's and left in about 2 minutes. Both were riding bareback with hackamores. I told Danny those boys were tougher than I was and he said "tougher than me, too".
    I saw similar up in British Columbia, at Ft. Steele. Mixed rain and snow, all the non-natives had on every stitch they owned. The natives were in shorts, sandals, and t-shirts, apparently perfectly comfortable. Coming home, there were kids playing in the river, with ice flowing by. I have a native friend up by Eureka who is outside bare chested in freezing rain and snow, BBQing when I visit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    My dad spent the first half of his youth in southern Kentucky, with the second half in Mooresville Indiana, some time around the 1930s. Now this also happens to be John Dillinger's home town. My dad told me of a day when he was meandering down a long erosion valley when he heard a god awful noise that he really couldn't find words for, and when he investigated, he found a big pile of fresh fired brass! To his end of his life, he believed that he almost met Dillinger. As a side note, my paternal grandma was lifelong friends with Dillinger's mom, and said more than once that Dillinger's mom never believed that he committed the crimes that he was accused of!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast