Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Carpenter Bee

Trophy Carpenter Bee

I smoked my first carpenter bee yesterday afternoon with a load of grits and 1.5 grs of Bullseye. It hit the deck alive-sort of- and knowing their resiliency ans savage tenacity to life (LOL), I administered the heel stomp as a coup de grace. I'm afraid this is going to be addictive.
    Mama Murf said I looked deranged waving a 4" 44 magnum around on our back deck(she may be on to something now that I think about it).
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Should cut down on the number of salesmen or people handling out religious literature showing up unannounced.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I like hunting them with my flintlock pistol loaded with grits.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I smoked my first carpenter bee yesterday afternoon with a load of grits and 1.5 grs of Bullseye. It hit the deck alive-sort of- and knowing their resiliency ans savage tenacity to life (LOL), I administered the heel stomp as a coup de grace. I'm afraid this is going to be addictive.
    Mama Murf said I looked deranged waving a 4" 44 magnum around on our back deck(she may be on to something now that I think about it).
    How I envy you and others residing in great states/areas! In New York State, most places, one might last minutes even carrying out a revolver with cylinder open and by a pencil in barrel before you'd probably get arrested!!! For bugs of most all types, those cans of Black Flag Wasp Spray are about all we may safely employ.

Boolit Master
    Leave the dead carcasses lying around as a sign to other bees (and unwanted visitors).

Boolit Buddy

Just waiting for the 75-80 degree days for them to become active here. Have several hundred 357 mag shells loaded with walnut tumbling media to use up this year. Good shooting!!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I like hunting them with my flintlock pistol loaded with grits.
    Nobade do you think that Golden powder would be effective loaded in 45 LC cartridges/over powder wad/walnut tumbling media/over shot wad/finger nail polish glued ?

Boolit Buddy

One day in Spring when the big black and yellow wood boring bombers showed up my smart ass son in law showed up and asked what I was doing running around the farm house with a little Winchester gallery gun. I told him shooting bumble bees! He laughed and said I could never hit a flying bumble bee with a 22 !!!!! I proceeded to bang 3 bees. He told me I was just lucky. Shot another one. Now he pestered me to try it. Told him I was out of ammo and had to reload. Went back into the house and dumped out the Winchester No. 12 bird shot and loaded the old rifle up with standard long rifle. Went out and handed him the rifle. I told him to be careful of my soffet, facha and gutters. He shot 7 times but could not manage to bring one down. To this day he still thinks I am the champion bumble bee shooter! Guess I will have to try loading grits in my 44 S&W.
    Last edited by Rockindaddy; 04-03-2024 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    I keep a pair of tennis racquets outside to handle the carpenter bees. I call it "playing Boo-Whack!"

I've considered loading up some handgun loads to shoot them with though.

However,, I'll have to share a story,, from about 2-1/2 decades ago.
    My brother came to my range, with his new wife's daughter. The girl was an older teen, but was wanting to learn to shoot. I provided a lot of stuff, and we taught this young lady to shoot.
    Now, it was a warm day & the bees were buzzing around.
    I kept threatening to start shooting them because of how annoying they were being. Well, the girl said; "Go ahead, I want to see you shoot one!"
    Now,, I used to do a LOT of hollyweird hip shooting with a SA handgun. I had gotten pretty good on NORMAL targets. But even I knew it was pretty much impossible to hit a carpenter bee with a .38 spl W/C in a .357 Blackhawk.
    But,, after the challenge,, a bee got out in front of me, (perfect for the downrange safety thing,) and hovered. I hip shot at the bee, and with (3) witnesses,, the bee vaporized.
    I will admit that laughing too much,, made me incapable of hitting a bull in the butt at 10 paces for over 1/2 an hour.
    My wife still likes to relate that story!

Vendor Sponsor

I like to sit and box with them. When one flies by, stick your arm up and flick your wrist and watch it duck and evade then return curious, eventually getting mad and aggressive. If you garden, they are GREAT pollinators I will give them credit for that.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's Alabama...how can that look deranged?
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Nobade do you think that Golden powder would be effective loaded in 45 LC cartridges/over powder wad/walnut tumbling media/over shot wad/finger nail polish glued ?
    That sounds like a great use for golden powder. I bet it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Leave the dead carcasses lying around as a sign to other bees (and unwanted visitors).
    Around here, with our killer bees and their attitude problem:
    a bunch of their friends and family will come to the funeral.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The old crimped 22 shotshells with #12 shot are tailor made for those things. I'm thankful my father bought up nearly 1,000 rounds of those back before the price required financing. They make it relatively easy to bust those buzzing pests. I have a H&R model 949 nine shot 22 revolver, also belonged to my father, that is the perfect match to the shotshells and either bees or rats in the chicken house at night. It doesn't have quite the flair of a 44 Magnum but it gets the job done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A good friend of mine (now deceased) used to raise honey bees and the Africanized version caused him to quit keeping hives. At any rate, said he could grab one bee with a glove and kill it, then throw the glove several yards away - they would attack the glove and leave it full of stingers while he worked on the nest.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It's Alabama...how can that look deranged?
    You're just envious.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Yellow jackets are the same way. I know for a fact they can out run a 19 hp Cub Cadet!

Yellow jackets are the same way. I know for a fact they can out run a 19 hp Cub Cadet!
    I've learned killer bees are attracted to black, and those big yellow & black bumble bees are attracted to red--
    plus they have a real bad attitude problem.

A buddy was mowing one time and a bumble bee was buzzing around his red hat.
    So he took it off and swatted the little beast.

He hit it, it was thrown about 15 feet, then came back like a yo-yo and hit him--- 'stinger first' right in the face.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

murder season is almost here, get those cannons out. Cannister shot required.

How do you cook them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast