Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFL question on a model 1863 falling block rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    The key words in to OP are "Reproduction" and "Breech Loader", ANY Agent yoy talk to is going to say YES it mst be shipped to an FFL.

Dave
    No, percussion sharps rifles originals or reproduction do not require an FFL transfer per federal requirements. States may have different requirement for within their own state and company are free to set an FFL requirement.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I want to say a BIG thank you to all for such good responses to my OP. I will do some checking locally to see what the FFL says where I usually shop. I do plan on purchasing a good reproduction. I personally am a patient person but given my age (78) I can't afford the time to wait for the Shiloh Sharps folks t make me one. There are a few on the big auction site that have some listed and that is probably the route I will go. I have a couple of C. Sharps ( a falling block in 45-120, & an 1874 reproduction in 45-70 ). Too bad Sharps is not making them any more. I will want a Shiloh if I can swing it. When ordered from them, they are the same price as an 1874 and that seems excessive to me. I am planning to devote some time looking for a good used one somewhere which should save me some bucks. At the moment it appears that my location (Missouri) will not require an FFL, but I will do some more checking first because I can't afford not to be legal. I'm looking forward to making the paper cartridges for some odd reason. I will probably try for a 45 caliber if I can.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Separate ignition system. Not a firearm under Federal law.

That's why retailers can ship them directly to your house unless you live in a state who's political systems are rigged by the Feudalist lords who own those states.

If you can't have a cap and ball shipped to your door, you can't have a paper cartridge Sharps delivered to your door.
    If the dealer you're buying from cannot ship to your door then either fork over the money to the FFL or move to a state who's election system isn't rigged or if you are free, find a dealer selling a muzzleloader also in a free state.

Boolit Buddy
    Just for grins, here is a firing replica Sharps carbine on gunbroker; if yo look, an ffl tranfer is not required (at the federal level). They are not inexpensive, but Petersoli is a good gun.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1043528787

Boolit Grand Master

In the state of Louisiana , cap and ball guns , revolvers and rifles are not considered "firearms". I recently ordered an 1863 Police Pocket Colt revolver reproduction from IMA - USA and it was delivered to me at my house , no FFL or background check required . They also had the percussion 1863 Sharps Carbine that I would love to have .
    I only had to sign a form that it was legal for me to own this firearm , and I am .

If there are any restrictions the seller should know of them ... But ask anyway !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    You need to be aware of the laws in your own state. Some states do treat them just like modern firearms, even if federal law does not.

This happened in New Jersey about 10 years ago.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ntlock-pistol/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    jn many states like mine even post 1898 non cartridge arms require state licensing, background checks, + transaction must go thru licensed dealers -
    In New Jersey, a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun is in the same class as an AK-47. Background check, waiting period, etc, because it has a "magazine capacity" like a machine gun. No stopping anti-gunners when they're in control. (But, hey, we've GOTTA stop all those mass shootings with BB guns, now, don't we??) Nuckin' futz!
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Quote Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
    In New Jersey, a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun is in the same class as an AK-47. Background check, waiting period, etc, because it has a "magazine capacity" like a machine gun. No stopping anti-gunners when they're in control. (But, hey, we've GOTTA stop all those mass shootings with BB guns, now, don't we??) Nuckin' futz!
    fwiw - in the past all bb + air guns were forbidden to possess at all in NJ- pea shooters, blowguns, + slingshots still are !
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

fwiw - in the past all bb + air guns were forbidden to possess at all in NJ- pea shooters, blowguns, + slingshots still are !
    https://airgunlaws.com/new-jersey-airgun-laws/

https://nj1015.com/bb-and-pellet-gun-laws-new-jersey/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

state law trumps Fed. you might check with your LGS, they do this every day = DO NOT ASSUME IT'S LEGAL because you read it on the net.

Nj 2c39-3 - paragraph e

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Nj 2c39-3 - paragraph e

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.
    Does this apply to Cornpop as well? He's one bad dude.....

not true in many states - here + in some other areas if it takes any cartridge still available it must go thru a licensed dealer - even civil war era .22 revolvers are classified as modern firearms as are all post 1898 non cartridge weapons - state + local laws can be stricter than federal law, but they cannot conflict with them -
    Where do you live that your state law prevents any individual from directly purchasing a firearm made prior to 1898 and classified by federal law as an antique?

Kai
    New Jersey is only one of several states that have this regulation -
    nj2c39 antique definition - state laws can always be stricter than any federal law as long as they do not conflict with them - even civil war era .22 revolvers require same licensing to posses as any modern handgun -

NJ 2c39 quote -

What is Considered an Antique Firearm in NJ?
    Under New Jersey law, an antique firearm is non-operational, does not fire ammunition available today, or was made before 1898. According to N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1, it is also a handgun, shotgun, or rifle that “does not fire fixed ammunition regardless of the date of manufacture” and is owned as historical memorabilia or as a “curiosity” or “ornament.”

as they say in latin

Boolit Bub
    Illinois, "The State of Corruption" is another state that requires all firearms to be transferred through a dealer as they do not recognize the antique designation. I believe Missouri recognizes antique firearms though, your local firearms dealer can tell you the correct info.

Unfortunately, many FFL's are clueless as well; I had one insist that tasers require a 4473. I also know of an old ATF agent, who does not believe that the category of antiques even exists, and has written up numerous local shops for not having them "on the books".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12