Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: question about Win 540MS powder...is it same as 540?

Moderator Emeritus

question about Win 540MS powder...is it same as 540?

I am getting ready to load some 38 super. I used 540 for my last batch (3 or 4 years ago). since then, I acquired a couple more vintage steel cans of 540 at a gunshow, for a total of 3 cans. I noticed as I am gathering up all the stuff to load a batch, that the oldest looking can says 540MS. I never heard of that?
    So, can I use the 540MS, like I use the 540, or do I need to work up a separate load?
    The last batch of 38 super I loaded was a mid range load using HS-6 data in Lyman CBHB#4 I was considering going a little hotter with this batch, but now, I don't know?
    I've also considered mixing all three cans (non are sealed, but all close to full), they all look identical (double base), but the 540MS is a little darker, and has a semi-gloss look, whereas the 540 is flat grey just like HS-6.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

As some one who has a bunch of Win 540 in the old round steel cans... Win 540 & HS-6, are the same powder, different labels. As for the MS designation, never heard of it. So , sorry, can't help there. The old Win 571 was also HS-7. Both are great hand gun & shot shell powders. Sadly , 571, HS-7 has been dropped.
    Last edited by Dom; 04-10-2024 at 07:40 PM.

A couple of references here:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-540-MS-Powder

https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...s-540ms.10908/

https://forums.gunbroker.com/discuss...-540-ms-powder

Not sure about the comment about the nitro glycerin precipitating out and just shaking up the can to mix it back in.

Sounds like more than a little innerweb armchair hocum. But I've been wrong before.

I've got a 1976 Winchester freebie load manual on my bench a buddy just loaned me, I'll see if there is any listed loads.

Is it in the cool yellow cans? Used some 230P last month. Probably the same vintage, finding data for that was a challenge.

That said my 1976 Winchester freebie powder manual only listed 540, no reference to 540-MS.

Moderator Emeritus

I was told MS data is in 1969 manual.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    A couple of references here:

Not sure about the comment about the nitro glycerin precipitating out and just shaking up the can to mix it back in.

Sounds like more than a little innerweb armchair hocum. But I've been wrong before.
    That was in probably the 70's, no internet then. Might have been some gunwriter hocum tho, as I most likely I read it in some gun magazine. I do remember reading several different times about shotguns getting ruined from the nitroglycerin separating out. Shaking to mix was definitely not something Winchester would have suggested, but they did change the powder and name, which suggests there might have been a bit of truth in what I read.