Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet sourcing

Banned

Bullet sourcing

Do not cast, merely shooting purchased lead and saving it in a 5 gallon bucket for when i have the time to get set up for casting.

What are the decent places for polymer bullets or cast bullets with good lubricant grooves?

The whole story of a simple "two patches through the barrel and its clean" from lots of polymer shooters has me interested.

Missouri Bullets, Bayou Bullets, Slippery Bullets, Hoosier Bullets, Acme and many others sell Hi-Tek coated projectiles, which aids in working as both a lubricant(in lieu of traditional lube and bare lead). Lots of options if you're looking for general purpose stuff, particularly for handgun loading.

Banned
    Do you feel that the beveled base of most of the coated bullets is a benefit or detriment in terms of fouling? ive seen the video of a hi tek coated bullet floating on a 750* lead puddle in a melting pot, but combustion in a gun is different.

Boolit Master
    As long as the bullets are sized to fit your barrel the base shape makes no difference. Any bullet too small for the barrel will gas cut and lay down deposits.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    Do you feel that the beveled base of most of the coated bullets is a benefit or detriment in terms of fouling? ive seen the video of a hi tek coated bullet floating on a 750* lead puddle in a melting pot, but combustion in a gun is different.
    I really really don’t like a beveled base design. I think they are made for easier casting. I assume you are encountering beveled bases everywhere while searching for commercially made boolets to purchase?

Boolit Master

yes, bevel base bullets are very common to casting machines. Flat bases don't fill out so good. Also they survive shipping and gorilla handling with out noticeable damage. Also partly why the high antimony content. I am curious about what you mean by "good lube grooves"?

Boolit Bub
    Most bevels on the base of bullets are to ease insertion into the case.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

yes that too. The old Winchester rifle molds all had a slight BB for that reason mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun88 View Post
    Missouri Bullets, Bayou Bullets, Slippery Bullets, Hoosier Bullets, Acme and many others sell Hi-Tek coated projectiles, which aids in working as both a lubricant(in lieu of traditional lube and bare lead). Lots of options if you're looking for general purpose stuff, particularly for handgun loading.
    All good companies to deal with. Allow me to add another one of my favorites, Blue Bullets;
    https://thebluebullets.com/#
    Deplorable infidel

Banned
    as to my qoute for a goode lube grood or good lubricant on them..

1 of the factory loads i tried with my 629 was a box of factory cowboy loads. Cast 220 grain BEVEL BASE RNFP.. They shot the same as other factory ammunition, but they leaded horribly. I think part of the problem was they were bevel base from the ones i dug out of my back stop, and the lube grove was about as deep as the cannelure on hornady 240 grain XTP bullets.

Banned

as to my qoute for a goode lube grood or good lubricant on them..

1 of the factory loads i tried with my 629 was a box of factory cowboy loads. Cast 220 grain BEVEL BASE RNFP.. They shot the same as other factory ammunition, but they leaded horribly. I think part of the problem was they were bevel base from the ones i dug out of my back stop, and the lube grove was about as deep as the cannelure on hornady 240 grain XTP bullets.
    It is also likely that they were too small of a diameter for your 629.

Boolit Master
    It's not the bevel base design that was the likely culprit in your barrel leading. It's more likely that the bullets being "one size fits all" and undersized, along with the propensity of factory produced cast bullets being too hard to obdurate properly. Once you start casting your own you'll be able to size your bullets to fit your firearm properly, as well as to adjust the hardness for a better gas seal. Since you will be casting for a 44 magnum I suggest that when you do choose a bullet mold it would be more versatile if you choose a gas check design. Plain based bullets have pressure limits, and though they can be shot at magnum velocities, there might be difficulties when shot at those higher velocities. Gas checked bullets can be shot at the full range of 44 mag velocities, from snail pace to full magnum, with much fewer limitations.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Thom_44;5708248]Do not cast, merely shooting purchased lead and saving it in a 5 gallon bucket for when i have the time to get set up for casting.

What are the decent places for polymer bullets or cast bullets with good lubricant grooves?

The whole story of a simple "two patches through the barrel and its clean" from lots of polymer shooters has me interested.[/Q

If you wait until you "Have The Time " to cast Boolits ...

You will never Cast Boolits ...

Don't wait ... pick up a Lee two cavity mould , Lee sizer , Lee Magnum Melter pot and a Lyman / RCBS ladle and start fooling around when you get a few extra seconds . Powder coating only requires a toaster oven ... you may already have one ... Starting to assemble the basic's , as the opportunities will allow , you get your feet wet without having to take a big economic , time consuming plunge .
    Also don't get overwhelmed by all the info ... I started out with a 5 lb pot , ladle and 1 cavity mould . I wish I had the 20 lb Lee Magnum Melter 50 years ago ...
    Go big when it comes to pots .
    I still cast my best boolits with a pot and Ladle ... don't discount that method .
    Just ramblings of an old caster , hope they help
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Ill keep casting questions to the casting forum.

I dont know what chamber pressure my loads are generating, but does a 6 grain load of Red Dot truly need a gas check? If the lead is to hard, wont that create issues even with the gas check?

Boolit Master
    IMO
    and Experience
    No and No

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    IMO
    and Experience
    No and No
    SO if i am understanding it, the cost of the gas check mold and gas check itself is worth it as it will make sure that any alloy used will NOT be turned into lead plating in my barrel?

Once read in an older NRA publication the gas check is supposed to be expanded slightly into the rifling as it goes down the barrel, so to provide the proper sealing.

Boolit Master
    SO if i am understanding it, the cost of the gas check mold and gas check itself is worth it as it will make sure that any alloy used will NOT be turned into lead plating in my barrel?

Once read in an older NRA publication the gas check is supposed to be expanded slightly into the rifling as it goes down the barrel, so to provide the proper sealing.
    Not what I was implying.. I use Gas Checks only in High intensity rounds...But, They do Not seem to Hinder performance even of say, Midrange loads...IDK about low level, Target loads.
    If the Boolit Fits Properly...I cannot see a Need for a Check...but also see no reason to believe it will Hurt!!
    Edit to add that I have no idea just how soft one would need to go for that load to be a Problem.. I generally stick to 1/2 Clip on wheel weight and 1/2 Soft ...basically pure Lead. which seems plenty "hard"

Boolit Master

Ill keep casting questions to the casting forum.

I dont know what chamber pressure my loads are generating, but does a 6 grain load of Red Dot truly need a gas check? If the lead is to hard, wont that create issues even with the gas check?
    I ran a 218 gn RF boolit, with 6.0 gn RD, through QL; using a 6" barrel. Predicts 14,834 psi chamber pressure. 911 fps velocity.

Looks like a boolit in the 10-11 BNH range would suit your needs. I will leave this discussion to those that are more knowledgeable.

Boolit Master
    Let's say the throat on your barrel is a bit too big for the bullet you are trying to chamber in your gun. Having the bullet soft or malleable enough to fill the throat may solve the problem if you apply pressure fast enough. A fast burning powder could solve the problem so gas cutting doesn't start at the beginning and "plate" the barrel as long as the bullet isn't too hard.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 03-31-2024 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    It is also likely that they were too small of a diameter for your 629.
    Or too hard for the vel/pressures used.
    With proper fit & alloy, a gc isnt needed for most handgun applications. Powder coat, eben less of a reason for nowdays, expensive gc.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast