RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Upper Peninsula MI Areas to see?

Boolit Master

Upper Peninsula MI Areas to see?

Recently picked up a small travel trailer / teardrop camper. Looking at planning trips and hoping we have a few members from this area or have visited that can point me in some special places. We have not agenda and do not think we will be staying more than 3days in one area, although you could change my mind. Just taking two weeks off and trying to see some of this beautiful country.
    Thanks in advance
    DWD

Moderator Emeritus

I've driven through the UP a few times, so I only have a tourist's perspective. I really enjoyed Pictured Rocks national Lakeshore...and eastward to Grand Marias. I also enjoyed some time at Sault Ste Marie. There is also a fun State Park on the south side, Fayetteville historic state park.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Lots of different things to see here, relatively unpopulated. Area was settled for timber, mining - copper & iron ore. Tourism is a major draw to the area, almost 300 miles east to west, 40 to 100 miles south to north. Lots of 2 lane highway, occasional passing lanes. What you will want to see depends on your interests and the order depends on the direction you come from. Camping season peaks Memorial day to labor day, some campgrounds fill up fast so best to make reservations soon as possible. If you can provide more detail i can be more specific.

Boolit Buddy
    Mackinaw island is always a favorite. Eat some white fish fresh out of Lake Superior if you get the chance. Brown’s restaurant by Paradise has great fish. Check there open schedule .

My Dad was from the UP, Wakefield MI. I remember traveling there as a kid to visit family on several occasion thinking it a nice area. Today's economy has been hard on it perhaps as mining has deminished some.

Moderator Emeritus
    Pictured rocks is a pretty area.

Boolit Master

The soo locks are interesting. some huge ore boars pass through there. Lake of the clouds state park is great at the Minnesota end. We stayed in one of the cablns right on Lake Superior and saw the lake freeze up overnight. Houghton / Hancock is the gateway to the Keewanaw Which has Fort Wilkins at the north tip. Mines and beaches and agate hunting are there. Brockway mountain is beautiful in the fall, September is fall up there. Hartwick Pines , some big trees.... Take your bug spray and binoculars. It is my favorite place.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    There is aState Park at the mouth of the Tacuamanon River. I can't spell. River empties into White fish bay just south of Paradise. Large park with lots of camp sites. Went ther in mid july on year before Covid. less than 1/2 full. could camp backed up to the river.

Boolit Master

Area around Marquette is nice; a very clean mix of Midwest college town and considerable maritime history. Some great 'photo ops' for those with the interest.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Kitch-iti-kipi, Big springs north of Manistique 10,000 gal per minute spring that feeds Indian lake.

Depending on time of year there's a great vintage boat show at Hessel on the east end.

UP Beer Festival on the ore dock in Marquette.

The Locks all summer long. Antlers Bar not far from the Locks.

Do the boat trip through the Locks, it's cool.

Macinaw Island.

The bridge is worth the drive across.

You missed the National Trappers Association convention at the UP State Fair Grounds last summer, not sure when it's going to be back.

You can waste a week there pretty easily.

Boolit Master

Porcupine Mountains / Lake in the Clouds Wilderness State park is worth a few days stay. Fort Mackinaw is neat but it doesn’t get any more historic than Fort Michilimackinac.