MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Which MP mold for 40 S&W?

Which MP mold for 40 S&W?

I just bought a brass MP mold for 45 ACP, haven't used it yet but WOW, I am impressed how nice they are.

I am thinking about replacing the Lee 6 cavity I am now using, as the ogive of the boolit is bigger than I would like. It shoots/chambers OK on most of my guns but will hang up when chambering on another. It DOES NOT seat all the way in the Go/no go gauge as the boolit from the RCBS mold does.

I am thinking about the 402-165 TC. Then would have to choose between the 6 cavity which is aluminum or the 4 cavity brass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0018.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	325168 or the 4 cavity brass.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010202556?pid=333143
    This Lee 175gr has been a fantastic performer at about 1000fps in my 4" 40 S&W. Tried powder coated, or just with Lee tumble coated. Worked great either way.

Boolit Master
    I bought the 402-165 TC from Miha. I run it through my Glock 23 with no problems. I use WLL 2500+ The 6 cavity aluminum is my preference

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I bought the 402-165 TC from Miha. I run it through my Glock 23 with no problems. I use WLL 2500+ The 6 cavity aluminum is my preference
    I have several 40 S&W pistols and about 140#s of brass. So much brass that I don't care if I pick it up afterwards.

6 cavity molds turn out a crazy amount of bullets in short order and I haven't had a chance to try the brass mold yet. Golfing season is starting and I don't have much time during the Summer for casting.

I did make a 2nd heated luber/sizer in order to get the luber off the edge of the bench and heat the BAC lube I have switched to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	325192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	325193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	325194

Boolit Master
    When you get a chance to mold you'll be happy with a 6 cavity!

When you get a chance to mold you'll be happy with a 6 cavity!
    My question is 4 cavity brass vs 6 cavity aluminum?

I have the 4 cav 170/150 brass HP mold.

The old group buy came through last year and I'm just finally working with it now.

The HP cavity is huge, the pentas look fun, and the solids look mean. It's a nice looking profile.

I've got the lee 175tc as well and also like that bullet but that's only a two cavity..

Boolit Master
    I'd go the aluminum, much lighter.

I'd go the aluminum, much lighter.
    I hear people complain of the weight of molds all the time. My cheap lee 20# bottom pour has mold guide that is chinsy but works. I may just make a more robust one out of steel.

With a mold guide, I don't see the weight mattering at all, plus you can be more precise.

My favorite 40 bullet is the Lee 401-145-SWC! I bought a 6 cavity mold 20+ years ago, although they called them 150gr then. I pour approx 152gr with my alloy, and the mold works flawlessly. I haven't been shooting 40 much for the last few years, so the mold is staying at a friends place for a while, (it's his favorite 40 mold also!)

My favorite is the tumble lube Lee 6 cavity. I bought the other 6 cavity that had the biggest metplate but I still like the tumble lube one most.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master
    So you mentioned a casting time availability issue.

I’d go for more cavities: you’ll get 50% more bullets per pour with a slightly longer cycle time (more hot lead in the mold and sprue means the mold will potentially overheat faster, so extra empty mold time post dropping the slugs helps). Downsides of aluminum molds include, in my experience, being a bit harder to maintain optimal mold temperature and being softer than brass or iron and so easier to mar.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    So you mentioned a casting time availability issue.
    It's not that I don't have time, It is just once starts with 6 cavity molds, the 4 cavity and slow. 2 Cavity, forgetaboutit.

Boolit Master

I love MiHec's brass molds and have maybe 10. Artistry. But, as I've gotten older my wrists are sending me a message "Go Aluminum You Old Fart!" Additionally I usually get a couple more bullets per cast. Yes, my AL molds are mostly MiHec. There was a time I cast with 10 cavity H&G molds, but those are history. I suggest going with aluminum. Just be gentle. They'll outlast you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    I love MiHec's brass molds and have maybe 10. Artistry. But, as I've gotten older my wrists are sending me a message "Go Aluminum You Old Fart!" Additionally I usually get a couple more bullets per cast. Yes, my AL molds are mostly MiHec. There was a time I cast with 10 cavity H&G molds, but those are history. I suggest going with aluminum. Just be gentle. They'll outlast you.
    New MP molds came yesterday, I got the 402- 165 in brass and the 9mm in Al, 8 cavity.