Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caps in Stock

Boolit Master

Caps in Stock

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...Pl5VOrY.BwF3Xt

Time to break the piggy bank.

$38 for 250

Boolit Master

Thats 15.2 cents per - not including shipping. Glad I am making my own at those prices.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    That is a reasonable price for the current times.
    But the shipping will jack up the price even more.
    I too make my own caps.
    But will get some factory ones every once in a while , but when I find them at a good price , and locally to avoid that added shipping costs.

Boolit Master
    I make my own caps too, but it takes me at least an hour to make 50. So even at this price that's like working for $7/hour. My time is worth more than that.

Boolit Mold
    Haven't seen a cap for sale in Arizona for over 3 years at any price.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I make my own caps too, but it takes me at least an hour to make 50. So even at this price that's like working for $7/hour. My time is worth more than that.
    So what's the problem? just pay the price.

Banned

Sooo, about a dollar a cap?

I am always amused by the old line "My time is worth more than that."
    So how much do you get paid to sit on your butt drinking a beer watching a football game?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    So how much do you get paid to sit on your butt drinking a beer watching a football game?
    Doing that is worth about a thousand dollars an hour to me because I am doing it on my time and not someone else that is determining what I am worth on a Saturday............same goes for casting and making caps. I used to tell my boss that I charge $1000 per hour for overtime on Saturdays when I wanted to go fly fishing. He used to laugh! I think that he might have gotten it after he had a debilitating heart attack. Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Muzzleloaders View Post
    Haven't seen a cap for sale in Arizona for over 3 years at any price.
    Got to Tombstone, found some down there at Smoke Signals in tourist trap town just a few months ago. Not cheap, but hey, it's Tombstone. Yes, there's like 5 gun shops inside the tourist section.
    Edit to add - I never cost my time while doing reloading/casting/powder making/etc., because it's my hobby. You want to help rationalize avoiding the effort, by all means and I completely sympathize - I could easily do oil changes on my car, but I hate working on cars so I pay a professional to do it. When it comes to firearms related stuff, it's a fun productive hobby that feeds another - shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Got to Tombstone, found some down there at Smoke Signals in tourist trap town just a few months ago. Not cheap, but hey, it's Tombstone. Yes, there's like 5 gun shops inside the tourist section.
    Edit to add - I never cost my time while doing reloading/casting/powder making/etc., because it's my hobby. You want to help rationalize avoiding the effort, by all means and I completely sympathize - I could easily do oil changes on my car, but I hate working on cars so I pay a professional to do it. When it comes to firearms related stuff, it's a fun productive hobby that feeds another - shooting.
    Exactly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    That depends if you're enjoying yourself or not. There's really not much money saved from casting boolits, but I enjoy it so I do it.

Making caps using little tiny scoops and trying to get powder into little tiny cups isn't fun for me. It got me through some hard times but it's anything but fun for me. Maybe it is for you.

I make my own. I do it in stages. Make a bunch of cups on a rainy day. I have a aluminum plate with about 150 holes drilled in it that the cups fit in. I have a piece of Plywood that is cut to the same dimensions with a hole drilled in the center. I have a screw that holds them together. Do a little each night and pretty soon you have lots of caps. It's a fun inside project on those nasty days outside.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Buddy
    So what does the plywood with one hole do? That needs a little more info for me. I make my own too using the die in a reloading press. Very fast to punch out the cups. Then comes the slow filling to finish.

Boolit Buddy
    I would agree. But I can actually make mine at work. Since I am still using the Lee hand prime tool and do not have a press with that function built in - I'm priming all my cases on the job too.

Leadchucker- use a tray large primers came in. Perfect size, small and easy to put somewhere while it all dries.
    Last edited by 2TM101; 04-16-2024 at 10:20 AM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    That depends if you're enjoying yourself or not. There's really not much money saved from casting boolits, but I enjoy it so I do it.

Making caps using little tiny scoops and trying to get powder into little tiny cups isn't fun for me. It got me through some hard times but it's anything but fun for me. Maybe it is for you.
    Follow "Times Gone Tech" on YouTube. He is working on a way to mix all of the components together so you can put it wet into the cap. No mess and maybe 4 times faster. At the moment he is trying to overcome occasionally having a bubble instead of a drop, resulting in an empty cap. I will switch to his method if he can get it to work, as it would make filling the caps take less time than actually punching the caps themselves.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    Is he using the prime-all from the kit? There is no glass provided in the kit. Using a eyedropper will give trouble . The mixture will never be truly be mixed and the prime will settle .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    Follow "Times Gone Tech" on YouTube. He is working on a way to mix all of the components together so you can put it wet into the cap. No mess and maybe 4 times faster. At the moment he is trying to overcome occasionally having a bubble instead of a drop, resulting in an empty cap. I will switch to his method if he can get it to work, as it would make filling the caps take less time than actually punching the caps themselves.
    Found it.
    https://youtu.be/b6gNVevQ1Dk?si=L9ir6sOUgVfHpY7y

If this works it would really make it more convenient.

Thanks for the tip.

The plywood is a backer for the aluminum plate. Once the caps are filled and packed I take a little Red Dot powder and MEK stir till dissolved. Take an eye dropper and put a drop in each one. Hit it with a blow dryer for a minute. The MEK and Red Dot when dry acts like a glue and holds every thing in place. Then separate plywood from aluminum plate and you can push the caps through. Put them in a toaster oven for a half hour on 160F and they are pretty much ready to use. The Red Dot gives the cap a little extra punch, at least I think it does.

Another member here turned me on to the blow dryer trick. It works really slick. The blow dryer pretty much makes the MEK evaporate fast and while the compound is still a little soft you can push the caps out of the plate easier. If you wait to long the caps are almost glued into the aluminum plate. This is the way I do it. Been working good for me. If I have a stock pile of cups already made I can make around 150 in a half hour.. That's with out the toaster oven part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast