WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92fs vs S&W 59 vs SA35

Boolit Buddy

Beretta 92fs vs S&W 59 vs SA35

I'm shopping for a metal framed 9mm that will be primarily for cast bullets. Opinions and experiences are appreciated.
    Cargo

Some will advise against polygonal rifling but you should research that topic yourself. I shoot a Kimber 1911 in 9 mm.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few Glocks with aftermarket LW barrels already.
    I'm wanting something high cap but more "old school" with a metal frame and manual safety.
    Cargo

Look at the EAA/Tisas P35. It is a good piece of kit and far better than the SA35 when it comes to accuracy. I don't like the ambidexterous safety of the Tisas but the right hand wing is not hard to remove. The Tisas is far more accurate with cast; can't say about jacketed. I won an example of each.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you go with the S&W, get a 4 digit model. (5904, 5906 etc). The original 59's were problematic: not very accurate, seldom reliable with HP ammo, generally crummy triggers--there wasn't much there to make an ardent handgunner's heart go pitty-pat. IME, the 39-2 was generally better all around. You gave up a lot for those extra 6 rounds. The later 3 digit guns were better, but the 4 digit guns were excellent.

If it fits your hand, there are no flies on the Beretta 92 series pistols either. Despite the howls the 1911 enthusiasts put up back when it was adopted, it is a fine gun. I have had the opportunity to shoot several of them and watch LAPD Officers qualify with them and was impressed. They are a big gun, a little too big for me to do my best work, but they are extremely reliable, if you can keep sand out of the low bid military magazines. My SIL has never had a jam in nearly 5,000 rounds in the last 15 years since he bought his.

I recently sold my Browning HP, and am not really a fan of them. Reports from the field have sometimes been critical of their accuracy, but otherwise, they seem to have a fairly good reputation. I think a custom gun, ala the old Cylinder and Slide HP customs on one of these could be a real sweet shooter.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned, the Beretta 92 is a big gun. I didn't like it simply because it did not fit my hand, especially with the first DA shot. I had a very early M59 S&W and found it was a good 9mm with cast bullets and JHPs. I also had a P35 and found it to be an excellent 9mm and it fit my hand like a glove. I sold them because I went away from 9mm for many years.

Then I found out how well the CZ75s fit. I've had a CZ75 for 30+ years now and have shot a lot of cast bullets through it with nothing but excellent accuracy and performance. I also suggest you take a look at the CZ75 or it's clones.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Can't speak to the 59 Series Smiths, but several friends have had 3906 models, and they were good guns. Course, that one is a single stacker.

The Beretta doesn't fit me either. The double action pull was just not doable for me, but for target work, the single action pull and grip was good and it was plenty accurate from the limited shooting I did with it.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm a BHP fan so I would say SA-35. If poly frames and strikers are not completely out of the question, I will say my three S&W SD-9's and my 100% stock gen.5 Glock 19 are all very cast friendly.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have a 5904 and a 5906 and really like them. Big enough to shoot well and small enough to carry easily. Can't go wrong with either of them they quite affordable and magazines are available for reasonable prices as well..

Boolit Buddy
    I've a S&W 639 single stack variation on the model 59 and a couple of Berettas (stainless and a 92S) as well as a couple of Browning Hi Power. If I were you, I would make a nuisance of myself down at one of the larger local gun dealers and see which of them felt best to me. In my hand the Berettas are a bit large the S&W grip fits well and the Browning grip is almost as good as people say. These all-handle cast bullets well without any problems. As Larry Gibson mentioned I wouldn't discount the CZ 75 from my selection choices. Grips almost the same as the Hi Powers and capacity similar to the S&W 59/Beretta 92's. There a bit heavier if carrying is one its uses but all steel pistols that can be had in several different variants. There available SA/DA that allows cocked and locked, SAO, decocker and even DAO. Personally, the CZ 75 is my favorite.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll agree that the Beretta is a bit bigger gun. For me the BHP works well; take a look at some of the used clones on the market - FEG and Israeli Kareen versions. The S&W M39 works but is an aluminum frame, not steel. My suggestion would also be to take a look at the CZ75. To me they fit the hand slightly better than a BHP and are double action. There is a compact version as well for EDC if so desired. Here again, there are used early versions on the market, 75B models for example. I've taken those, stripped them, blasted the parts, parkerized and then Duracoated them and they work well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duracoated Compact2 (2).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	325133

If I were left with only my 5906 and my Marlin Camp 9...I could live the rest of my life continuing to enjoy this hobby.
    I don't like the 92 or the Hi-Power at all.

The 39 single stack series and the 59 double stack series represents a time when S&W still built a real autoloader. They're heavy tanks about like the Ruger P series and i would hate to carry one daily but for a pleasant shooting accurate and reliable handgun....I'm 59 series all the way over the other two you listed. I was shooting my 5906 this past sunday ...125g cast over 2.8g of AA Nitro100NF and the gun just does not move.......like a really noisy 22 with more punch to it
    He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily. Nahum 2:1

Boolit Master
    Don’t leave out the Sig P226. It’s hi-cap, hammer-fired, DA/SA with a decocker. Well made. It’s a toss-up whether I like my Hi-Power or P226 the best. Both shoot cast very well.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I have and have had many of all three all easily met most of my needs. I rarely if ever shot anything but home cast bullets from all three.

OP you didn't say your intended use but:

For carry the Beretta's (and Taurus clones) are bulky, S&W's are heavier than most like as are all steel Browning or clones. I found Beretta and S&W's more reliable than Browning or clones.

For the range, all are basically equal in accuracy and if not, some can be helped to make them more accurate but not without spending a lot with a custom smith.

Shooting on a shoestring had another good suggestion on a Sig that is unless you have some attachment to the brands you mentioned. For carry, out of the box accuracy and reliability I'd go Sig over most higher cap autos on the market.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    I really beginning to enjoy my Berretta 92, I will agree it has a different feel and don't believe it would be the perfect carry gun for me. But for shooting tight groups it has been top performer in my small collection of 5, guess youcould say 4 as the Springfield SDms is just a different animal alone.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Don’t leave out the Sig P226. It’s hi-cap, hammer-fired, DA/SA with a decocker. Well made. It’s a toss-up whether I like my Hi-Power or P226 the best. Both shoot cast very well.
    I have an M11A1 in layaway jail, hope it turns out to be cast friendly.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

What Larry said CZ75. HARD to beat that gun.

I have a S&W mod 915 police trade in that I'm real happy with. It shoots my cast loads just fine.
    Here's a listing for one;
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/classifi...983935864.aspx
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

I've always been leery of the stock Beretta 92FS because it has NO lockup at the muzzle end of the barrel. All the locking is done at the rear, so what locks the "exit" end of the barrel into consistent position relative to your front sight to achieve best accuracy? Not very much. That it's got about the highest parts count of any pistol I've ever detail stripped didn't endear me to it either.

The Smith 59 is the gun you break out when you want to show what the "forward thinking" agencies were carrying in the late 1970's and early '80's. You'd do better with the all-stainless / all steel 5906, as there were a number of refinements that improved the design by the time they got to the final generation. The bad news is S&W quit making parts for that line over a decade ago, so depending on what you end up needing, it could turn into a real quest.

I have a great deal of loathing for the "Browning" (COUGH!) High Power that is born of trying to troubleshoot a problematic Hungarian FEG clone acquired when I was young and convinced it was a killer bargain. It's a gun on which you have to often go through certain parts to get to the ones causing you grief, which necessitates a lot of extra steps other guns don't expose you to. The trigger mechanism is just DUMB; the force of your trigger finger starts in the frame, actuates a lever in the slide, which bears on the sear in the frame, releasing the hammer to transfer that action back up to the firing pin in the slide. If there's significant play between slide and barrel, that'll translate to variability in the feel of your trigger. At least Springfield left out the magazine disconnect - which was a part of the trigger assembly that rubbed against the front face of the magazine. Your trigger pull would then vary depending on if the magazine was polished, Parkerized, or rusted.

The CZ-75 family is well worth a look - all steel, has a very solid barrel lockup, and can be had in a few different trigger, safety, or decock options. As a gun designed originally to be DA/SA, it's more mechanically complex than I like, but they do shoot nicely. My understanding is that they are often short-throated and not necessarily all that cast-bullet friendly until you get them reamed a bit. I've almost bought a 75 more times than I can count, and never have, largely because. . .

. . .through it all, the 1911 is still King of Quality Trigger Ergonomics, King of Ease of Maintenance, and King of Aftermarket Add-Ons. Springfield does a VERY nice job on their single stack 9mm's.

If you want capacity, the Springfield Prodigy went through some early teething problems that have been addressed, and the Staccato 2011 line is more the higher-end version of the same idea: a 1911 slide rail system at the top of the frame holding the sear, disconnector, safety, grip safety, slide stop lever and plunger tube bolted to a polymer grip module that holds the trigger, mag catch, and combination leaf spring. Those have the added advantage of being red-dot ready.

Been playing with a Commander-length Stealth Arms Platypus that a co-worker picked up and has been shooting the beejeezus out of. Basically a 1911 double stack designed to feed from cheap, reliable, and ubiquitous Glock 17 magazines. I'd prefer they do a steel frame or the combo steel/polymer of the 2011's instead of their aluminum, but that said, I don't impress easy, and it impressed.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    If I had to have one pistol and give up the rest, the CZ75 would occupy the holster every day. Over the Glock, the Rugers, the Smiths, and the Colts, it would be the one I keep. Its stupid accurate, smooth, and utterly reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast