RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Just how bad is a $90 barrel?

Just how bad is a $90 barrel?

Somone might find this interesting. Just some some bore scoping of the barrel on my latest build, was gonna go with a ballistic advantage ( nothing but good reviews about them and their very cost effective even for my budget could have gotten some nicer stuff but honestly didn't see the need for my piddly lil use) but idk what's curious just how bad a $90 non brand specific battle could be ? How would it look on the inside ? Is this a case for barrel break ins ? Abrasives? Can a half decent reloader make it shoot ? Questions questions questions, and I've spent $90 on way stupider stuff so why not lol.
    Edit : the video shows : initial bore scoping out of the box , after cleaning with an abrasive and solvent, after 10 Rd of jacketed before cleaning and after cleaning wit again abrasive and solvent got around 50r dthiugh the barrel total to date but last bore scope was after the initial 5-10

Edit. This was all kinda a quick deal but for those wanting to see this was the initial load test @ 100yd. Part of the first two groups was the fact that I ,yet again keep trying to shoot off a front rest and rear bag even though I know I shoot AR's way better off a rear bag and bipod along with just learnign and getting used to the gun. If you can just hop on and gun and run it like a sewing machine awsome, that's just not me .Also yes only 5rd groups because I had limited components at the time . Also this is all old brass and honestly was just tying to come up with a half decent load really quick to shoot at steel. New brass and bullets will be on order soon and I'll talk a lil more time to make some a bit better when I get to the house. Scope is a SWFA 6x fixed power. Lil under powdered for groups shooting but about the only decent scope I had floating around at the moment

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 03-26-2024 at 08:27 PM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Take the barrel off it action, get you some JB bore paste rap a patch around a bore brush apply the bore paste to the patch and from the chamber end
    lap the bojedders out of it. Start with a100 passes 50 down 50 back replacing the paste every 20 passes then clean and scope it again and report back.
    If needed do another 100 passes.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting evaluation of the barrel. Too bad the really rough area is at the breech and not the muzzle. A shorter barrel would not be that big a problem. It will be interesting to see if continued shooting will break down those areas that appear to have the lands deformed and blocking the groove area of the barrel.

Perhaps 10 shots for a group to see what affect continued shooting and cleaning might have on the group size. Nice information being presented. Thanks for doing this.

Watched liked and subscribed.. Yea you got a 90 dollar barrel its like buying a lottery ticket your most likey gonna lose but sometimes you win.. The start of the rifleling are rough and some sharp edges on the rifleing.

Best of luck with it.

God Bless

JDAS

Boolit Master

We see what the barrel looks like. How did the targets look?

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    We see what the barrel looks like. How did the targets look?
    Pictures added. 325yd parrie dog want too hard with it once I got the dope . Shouldn't have rushing my zero job. Over adjusted and was hitting right in the plate but got three in pretty easy after I shot off his foot lol

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Shoot it 10x on 3 different days. See what you think then.

If you're happy, nothing else matters.

Boolit Grand Master

During one of the AR parts shortages I found a source for low-cost barreled uppers. The cost was less than stripped uppers that I needed for service/match rifle builds. The intent was to pull the barrels and sell them but I made the mistake of testing one. It was sub 3/4 MOA for 10 shots. The end result was all got tested and out of around 20 performance varied from really good to below average. Two where around 2 MOA with rough throats and bores. The rest varied from around 1 MOA to one that held 1 1/2" ten shot groups at 300 meters.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I came across a "lightly" used 20" sst 223 wylde barrel here a few years ago. No manufacturer markings, but suspect it to be a Bearcreek/MidwayUSA. Borescope was atrocious and found it may have an oversized chamber. Headspaces OK, on my Frankenstein AR build.
    I get groups at 100yds that I can cover with my thumb, and reach out past 350yds for prairie dogs. It likes 75gr Hornady HPBT and 60gr VMax with H322.
    High $$ money doesn't nessitate high accuracy. Shoot it to see what it can do!

Back when Wolf steel case Berdan ammo was cheap and available, I’d say to run a few magazines of it through that barrel to season it and then see what’s what with hand loads.
    But it’s $16/20 plus nowadays….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    If you're happy, nothing else matters.
    Truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I watched that today, I have been subscribed to your channel for a while. I enjoyed the video, thanks for your efforts!

Excellent write up thanks for sharing.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry