Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Not liking the straight stock on my new Marlin 44 Could I use a 336 pistol grip stock

Boolit Buddy

Not liking the straight stock on my new Marlin 44 Could I use a 336 pistol grip stock

Was thinking about possibly changing the stock to a 336 pistol grip stock, and then trying to match hardware as well. Has anyone done such a conversion? The recoil is knocking the hand holding the lever pretty hard and after a few shots it's painful. Thought either changing the stock and hardware or just getting a bigger loop lever.

Boolit Mold
    It will depend on lower tang. Not sure about marlins, but early winchesters had a drop in the lower tang.

Boolit Master
    on the 336 you could modify it with a pistol style stock, lower tang/trigger plate and curved lever but I'm not sure on the 1894. those parts might be real hard to impossible to find. the only 1894 I have with pistol style grip is an 1894FG 41 mag and its not a very common gun

Before you spend money, try gripping the lever outside of the loop while the trigger finger does its thing.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try a shooting glove. If necessary, cut half of the trigger finger part of the glove off
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Chutes, I have a 336 PG I was considering converting into a straight grip. I've done some research and am unclear if the lower tang/trigger plate and the finger lever will interchange from a 94 to a 336. Some evidence suggest they might. The 95 and 336 will interchange. I would be willing to swap it they would change. My rifle was made in 2000.

Thanks, Floyd

Boolit Master
    Or.... drop your load down to reduce recoil?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

336 and 1894 trigger plates and levers are not interchangeable. Pistol gripped 1894s were extremely scarce. I think the 1894FG was the only one that had a pistol grip.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-27-2024 at 01:54 PM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Before you spend money, try gripping the lever outside of the loop while the trigger finger does its thing.
    This 100%. I only keep the middle finger inside the loop because I have big hands and it gets crowded otherwise. You can still work the lever quickly and can use the thumb to assist by pushing the top of the lever down.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Find yourself a 336 in 44mag. They are scarce, but I don’t think terribly expensive.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for all the suggestions, and guidance

Most Marlins issued with a PG stock have curved lower tang surfaces that give a distance from the top tang about 1/2" more than a straight tang gun - just like most Winchester 92/94 leverguns.

Further, the straight lever would need to be swapped out for a curved lever - which are interchangeable on the fit to the receiver, but not to the tangs.

On a straight grip Winchester Big Bore 94, I was able to install a PG stock and a curved lever (because I got a fancy Centennial checkered PG stock @ a funshow for a smoking deal - $50) - but after installing the PG stock, there was a good sized hollow area between the closed lever and the PG contour, because the straight lower tang wasn't large enough to fill the inletting void - so, I filled the void with a fitted piece of walnut that I shaped & finished to match the "new" PG stock.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Go to rangerpointstore.com. They list all kinds of levers for Marlins and they offer 5 different styles. Maybe you can find one that you can get your paw to work with. I searched "glove loop levers" and they came up.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    saw suggestion to just get a 336 in 44 mag. first they are not real common. 2nd, not too many were made because it was a flawed design and they just didn't function very well. I believe most that are put up for sale because they dont function very well.
    a loop lever is probably the easiest way to solve your problem

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    saw suggestion to just get a 336 in 44 mag. first they are not real common. 2nd, not too many were made because it was a flawed design and they just didn't function very well. I believe most that are put up for sale because they dont function very well.
    a loop lever is probably the easiest way to solve your problem
    The design isn’t flawed, it’s just beefier and longer than it needed to be. There were some feeding problems with some rifles, but aren’t there always? Pretty sure it was discontinued when the 1894 was introduced.

Boolit Master
    My 336-44 has always functioned perfectly, and is the most accurate lever action I have ever worked with. My buddy sold his for $1500 a year or two ago, FWIW.

Boolit Master
    thats good news. I always desired one but someone who knows a lot more than I do told me what I had written about the 336 in 44 mag. I sure do like the looks of that gun with the saddle ring.

Boolit Master
    Like Don said, I got a glove from WM
    that has 'ribs' on the back of the fingers
    and I cut the end of the trigger finger
    off. Works great. Now I gotta find a
    pair in camo. I also leave my pinkie
    outside the lever.

Boolit Master

I actually checked out Rangerpoint; DANG!!! I know some of you have mixed feelings concerning 'tactical' leverguns, but I am just a bit enthusiastic!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')