RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington 1862 Contract Rifle-AKA 1863 Zouave Rifle

Remington 1862 Contract Rifle-AKA 1863 Zouave Rifle

I had a couple of tables at our club, (Central Penn. Antique Arms Association) gun show a few miles above Gettysburg to clear out some guns and stuff just taking up room either in my safe or shop. Of the long arms I put up for sale, nine sold at a small profit and one traded to a fine old gentleman in the club. I had to kick in a few dollars, but I came home with this fine, original Remington Contract rifle made in 1863. I came home with three unsold guns, the Remington ''Zouave'' rifle, and a nice wad of cash for future purchases.

Nice bright sharp bore .58 7 groove 1:60 made these rifles very accurate.

99%+ original bluing present, no wood burn-out behind the bolster, and very few scratches&minor dings.

I wish I could keep it and shoot it, but it's just too nice, it's survived 161 years in fine condition. It's gotta find a home with a collector instead of some shooting bum like me who'll take it to the range and ruin it, I've got original veteran shooter grade Springfield's and Enfield's for that. Besides, I've got an itch that needs scratched with a vintage heavy Remington .22 target rifle.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

I don't have an original but to prevent wood burnout behind the nipple I have taken a small piece of sheet aluminum (any soft metal other than lead will do) and punched out a square hole toward one end to fit over the shoulder of the nipple and the sheet trimmed to an oval shape that guards the wood. Basically it is a 1+" ellipse that fits over the nipple and keeps the gun looking pretty new yet getting some use out of it. However I fully "get" why you are reluctant to shoot it. It is a beaut.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Yes, I've used sheet brass on a Mississippi and aluminum foil in a pinch. It's ugly, but effective.

That’s in amazing condition, scary good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    That’s in amazing condition, scary good.
    It's believed they went into storage and were never issued. Even so, most I see have at least one nasty gouge in the wood or rust due to neglect or shooting without proper cleaning.