Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester Model 94 Barrel Steel

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John22193 View Post
    I also was also curious on what methods people use to remove lightly rusted areas without damaging the bluing, this rifle has some rust that I would like to attempt to remove if it makes sense. Or at the vary least reduce and treat. My current plan is to use 0000 steel wool and some Ed's red and lightly rub the afflicted areas. Any thoughts or methods would be greatly appreciated.
    Bronze wool & ATF or pretty much any light oil.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master

That was a very interesting read Bob, thank's. I have an old Mod '94 Win that seems to have been made the first year of their production. Serial no 119xx it says on the barrel: "nickel steel barrel especially for smokeless powder". I now know that means the "high" pressure smokeless of the day.

Vendor Sponsor

Winchester also marked some barrels using the words "Winchester Proof Steel" in this era.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    That was a very interesting read Bob, thank's. I have an old Mod '94 Win that seems to have been made the first year of their production. Serial no 119xx it says on the barrel: "nickel steel barrel especially for smokeless powder". I now know that means the "high" pressure smokeless of the day.
    You are welcome.

• In general, any 94' manufactured prior to 1895 was manufactured with soft Regular Ordinance Steel - carbon steel alloy, and were black powder and low pressure smokeless only and chambered only in 32-40 and 38-55.
    • The 5% nickel barrels were introduced with the 30WCF and 25-35, starting in 1895/96.
    • The 1% to 2% nickel barrels, designated as "Extra Steel" had chamber and throat corrosion issues and "further production" reverted back to 5%.
    • Any 32-40 or 38-55 chambered 94's after 1895/96 with nickel marked barrels were SPECIAL ORDERED and could be used with high pressure smokeless!

Low Pressure Smokeless
    Our 38-55 rifle will not be injured when 38-55 smokeless cartridges of our make are used. The bullet will not harm the rifling. Smokeless powder is more difficult to clean than black. Where smokeless powder cartridges are made to take the place of black powder cartridges in guns which were intended for black powder, such smokeless powder is used as will give the same pressures and same velocities as were obtained with black powder in the black powder cartridges intended for the gun originally. We do the best we can to have the combination give the same velocity as before, which it would be difficult to get same accuracy. ~Winchester Repeating Arms, 1899

Note the "Low Pressure" call-out for this 38-55 Winchester High Velocity cartridge load. Plenty safe for use in the soft steel 94' rifle. Normal loads at 1,320fps and the WHV loads at 1,565fps were below the 1,750fps high power designation.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96B6946A-2074-465A-B3F9-0EAA078DF7A5.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	325367
    Last edited by BoBSavage; 04-02-2024 at 05:56 PM.

To add/clarify to Bob's post ALL 94's chambered in 30-30, 25-35, and 32 WS have Nickel Steel barrels unless they had the experimental Extra Steel barrels.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12