Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 ga RB/pumpkin full bore or wad?

Boolit Bub
    A while back I looked at Foster slug molds and it drove me nuts that nobody seems to find it necessary to list a single dimension. I guess I didn't dig real deep because I decided the round ball would serve me better.

I've got the round ball obsession bad. There is no logical reason for me to do it, but looking at my .357 magnum last night....... and now it is starting to look like a round ball candidate too!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
    murf205, I didn't realize it until you mentioned it but hole size must be why I shoot my 22 less as I get older!
    Yeah, that's the main reason I bought a Kowa 15-60x spotter. Keep us posted on the 20 ga rnd ball progress. I just traded for a Remington Spl Field 20ga light weight 1100 that is unfired. I might try rnd balls with a skeet choke in that little gun.It will be a lot easier on my shoulder than than my 870.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Yeah, that's the main reason I bought a Kowa 15-60x spotter. Keep us posted on the 20 ga rnd ball progress. I just traded for a Remington Spl Field 20ga light weight 1100 that is unfired. I might try rnd balls with a skeet choke in that little gun.It will be a lot easier on my shoulder than than my 870.
    I sure will keep everyone posted.
    I'm kinda moving at a glacier pace on it right now, but pretty soon I hope to have time to jump into it.

Boolit Master

I have a 20 ga Remington 870 smooth bore with screw in chokes.
    I seem to think I need to load up some round balls.
    I have no real need to do this, but I've never let that stop me before.
    It's really just a project to tinker with for me.

I've spent an insane amount of time reading old posts here, and other sites as well.
    As far as I can tell the general consensus is, there is no general consensus as to full bore or ball in a wad.

I only have telescoping bore gauges so I haven't measured my bore yet, I'm going to check a couple places and see if I can get it measured.

I'm leaning towards trying powder coated full bore balls instead of balls in a wad. Powder coated to prevent leading was my thought. My gut feeling is it will be more consistent and more accurate.

I don't have any molds even close to what I might need. So I will need to find one or have one made depending on what size I decided I need.

I guess my question is, Am I going down the right road chasing this full bore idea?
    Does it even matter? Is a good fitting full bore equal to a good fitting full wad accuracy and consistency wise?
    Aaahhhh, Grasshopper, the quest begins...............Welcome to the rabbit hole...............
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

I'm kinda moving at a glacier pace on it right now...
    Hahahaha! That describes me on virtually all of my projects!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Aaahhhh, Grasshopper, the quest begins...............Welcome to the rabbit hole...............
    One rabbit hole would be fine, but I have a tendency to have 12-14 holes going at any given time!

Boolit Master

One rabbit hole would be fine, but I have a tendency to have 12-14 holes going at any given time!
    Yeah, just like the rest of us! No worries Justin, you're gonna fit in just fine, pull up a chair, somebody get this man some coffee!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Yeah, just like the rest of us! No worries Justin, you're gonna fit in just fine, pull up a chair, somebody get this man some coffee!
    Lol...... Thank you!

Justin, you stated that your gun slugged .6191. Is that the measurement of the choke tube and just past that. I would think that if we measured our RB concoction of wad+ball or ball only, it should be as close to the choke diameter as we can possibly make it. I am curious about the pressures of the ball at the muzzle because my 20 ga is a Rem 1100 Light Weight Special Field and there is not a lot of "meat" at the muzzle of this gun. Rifled barrels are tough to find for this gun without taking out a mortgage.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Justin, you stated that your gun slugged .6191. Is that the measurement of the choke tube and just past that. I would think that if we measured our RB concoction of wad+ball or ball only, it should be as close to the choke diameter as we can possibly make it. I am curious about the pressures of the ball at the muzzle because my 20 ga is a Rem 1100 Light Weight Special Field and there is not a lot of "meat" at the muzzle of this gun. Rifled barrels are tough to find for this gun without taking out a mortgage.
    That .6191 measurement was not a slugged measurement. I haven't slugged yet.
    I measured it with a telescopic bore gauge and a micrometer. I measured it with the screw choke removed, probably about a half inch beyond the choke seat.
    I'm not confident in the accuracy of that measurement though. So I have not ordered a ball mold yet. I want to slug the barrel before I order a mold.
    Then I intended to use a cylinder choke that has zero restriction.
    I agree, there is not a lot of meat, and I don't want too tight a fit.
    My intention is to have a ball sized to basically an interference fit, .0003-.0004 over bore size. Not sure if I'll be able to hold that as cast or not though.
    My plan may involve more wishful thinking than it should, but we'll see......

The most open choke tube I have is a Remington brand Mod and it measures .590 with calipers. It is tighter than my Carlson's Full tube but the Carlson's is rated for steel and Hevi Shot as well as lead. Might have to get some pin gages for this rabbit hole trip. $$ but still cheaper than hanging out in bars!!

Boolit Bub
    The most open choke tube I have is a Remington brand Mod and it measures .590 with calipers. It is tighter than my Carlson's Full tube but the Carlson's is rated for steel and Hevi Shot as well as lead. Might have to get some pin gages for this rabbit hole trip. $$ but still cheaper than hanging out in bars!!
    I have some pin gauges, but all of mine are too small.
    I may be able to borrow some larger sizes, but I've never been one to pass up an excuse to buy tools......

Meyer guage co sells individual pins in this diameter range and they are $4.61 each according to their web site but my Sterrett caliper has been pretty accurate but not as much as pins. The Carlson's turkey choke say's it is a .660 which is pretty large if my modified is a true .590. Yeah, I am confused.

Boolit Mold
    I use a .575 Lee RB in my 20, with a mod. choke. Ball is in a wad with 28ga fiber wads under it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12