Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Need help IDing a loose part I found in gun cabinet

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Need help IDing a loose part I found in gun cabinet

This was laying under my walther Talon Magnum in the gun cabinet today. I looked all over my rifle and can't see any missing parts. We have had the cabinet exclusively for air rifles only over the decades. Had a few Crossman and daisy air rifle and pistols in there as well. Never noticed it till today which makes me feel like I came off my walther even though I can't see any missing bolts. It's basically a re branded Hatsun 135 with a composite stock.

Any ideas what it's for?

I have gone through a few schematics online of my rifle, a daisy 880, a Crossman 357, vintage pellet pistol, and a Ruger, 1022 air rifle. I can’t seem to locate where this would’ve went. Wondering if maybe it was for some scope mount or something goofy? We had a Tasco 42mm red dot I gave away here on PIF. I don’t believe it was for that either.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-23-2024 at 04:33 PM.

If you throw it away, you will find out really quick what it is for.
    Stuff usually falls off my guns when I'm in the field somewhere.

I’m with you. I lost a 22WMR magazine in the woods this past fall and still haven’t run into it.

Boolit Man
    Well it has visible wear marks in the bluing, you can measure those with a dial caliper, or anything else for that matter, then look for a spot that wide on all your guns to see if any of them have a corresponding hole.

That sort of looks like some of the saddle scope/shell holder mount bolts for a Rem 870/1100/1187 shotgun as well as others.

Still haven’t figured it out. I even looked to see if there were any holes or anything on the wood cabinet that was missing hardware. The only thing I had in there for the longest time is my Walter Talon 22 Magnum air rifle and it’s not missing any hardware that I can see. I didn’t remove the stock to see if there’s any bolts or anything else missing and I’ve been shooting it non stop since I found the bolt with zero issues.

Boolit Master
    Looks like it has a threaded hole in the end so maybe it's for something that has to be free to swivel or rotate. This opposed to being used to clamp two things together like most bolts. I think those are called "Chicago bolts"?

Yeah, kind of reminds me of something for a sling but it’s too wide for something like that. I didn’t measure it but I would say it’s got to be an inch and a half or more.

Boolit Master
    So if it's threaded in the skinny end opposite the bolt head, than I'd say it's a cross bolt that holds a housing for like a trigger mechanism between the side plates of a receiver. Maybe a bolt to hold lever in place. Something along those lines.

I thought it was the bolt that held my stock in place by the forend but Nope it’s not missing.