WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is CCI Standard Velocity enough for Smallbore Lever Action Silhouette

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    You made a mistake here: Std velocity DOES NOT transition from super sonic to sub sonic between 75 and 100 yards. Std velocity is NEVER super sonic at any distance. It’s high velocity ammo that makes that transition.
    Actually, "standard" velocity 22 LR ammunition of most makes will run 1175 - 1225 fps at 10 feet from the muzzle from 18 - 26" barrel rifles. That is from actual chronographing and they are sonic as the "crack" is distinctive when a suppressed rifle is used. However, they usually transition subsonic very quickly but they are, indeed, "sonic" to begin with.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Vendor Sponsor

I think the classic Winchester and Remington Standard Velocity are Supersonic. They list there product both at 1150 fps.
    CCI lists at 1070
    The Tippmann I had lists 1050
    Aguila at 1085
    SK standard at 1073

Target and Match ammo, which can be confusing some times... much of which is just subsonic
    R-50 lists it at 1082
    Agulia Match at 1080
    All the Eley if not listed as Supersonic is 1075 Target, Club and up to to Ten-X - Non of Eley products subscribe to the Standard Velocity moniker.

Some of the match ammo is just slightly hot
    R-100 is 1131 fps
    SK Longrange is 1099
    Lapua Super longrange is 1106

All the match grades of Lapua are < 1099

The several makers of Biathlon ammo, some of which is high grade in both accuracy and price, when shot in more normal air temperatures run slightly faster than the 1075 norm for accuracy, at around 1100 FPS due to the suppressed velocity's of shooting in very cold outdoor winter conditions. I have to admit, I have not clocked the Biathlon ammo in below zero weather to see how much it slows down. The fact that it does is in the literature.

It appears "Standard Velocity" means what ever the manufacture wants it to mean. The CCI SV product, which is very common and shoots well above it modest price point, at a listed 1075 fps, maybe influences some of us into thinking that is what all of it is. Or, is some kind of "standard". Clearly, as Larry Gibson pointed out above, that is not the case.
    Chill Wills

Standards vary.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Standards vary.
    Based on what?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    And as far as velocity goes, your particular firearm probably wont deliver the stated velocity. It could be higher or lower.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    And as far as velocity goes, your particular firearm probably wont deliver the stated velocity. It could be higher or lower.
    I have 6 different 22 LR rifles and find the velocities are fairly consistent between them. I use my suppressor on 4 of them with barrels of 18" to 25". All ammunition I have tested so far listed as "standard velocity", including some target listed as "standard velocity", has been sonic as evidenced by the chronograph readings and the snap or crack out in front. CCI "Match with a velocity listed at 1070 fps and CCI "Suppressor" 22LR listed at 970 fps are subsonic and excellent choices. Several makes of higher grade match 22LR, such as Lapua Center X and Midas+, are subsonic. I just picked up some Aguila 40 gr "subsonic" but have not had time to test it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I have 6 different 22 LR rifles and find the velocities are fairly consistent between them. I use my suppressor on 4 of them with barrels of 18" to 25". All ammunition I have tested so far listed as "standard velocity", including some target listed as "standard velocity", has been sonic as evidenced by the chronograph readings and the snap or crack out in front. CCI "Match with a velocity listed at 1070 fps and CCI "Suppressor" 22LR listed at 970 fps are subsonic and excellent choices. Several makes of higher grade match 22LR, such as Lapua Center X and Midas+, are subsonic. I just picked up some Aguila 40 gr "subsonic" but have not had time to test it.
    Thanks for the reply, Larry. We can always rely on you for good information. How close are the velocities you measure to the advertised velocity.

Not 22LR, but years ago I used my Oehler 33 to check some 130 grain Remington 270 Win ammo out of a Rem 700 and it was nearly 150 fps slower than factory advertised velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    You made a mistake here: Std velocity DOES NOT transition from super sonic to sub sonic between 75 and 100 yards. Std velocity is NEVER super sonic at any distance. It’s high velocity ammo that makes that transition.
    Also a faster bullet is moved MORE by wind, not less. Maybe counter-intuitive, but it's true. Has to do with the rate of deceleration.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Also a faster bullet is moved MORE by wind, not less. Maybe counter-intuitive, but it's true. Has to do with the rate of deceleration.
    This is very true. As a stand alone statement, it holds up very well.
    However, all 22rf ammo, both Standard velocity and Hi-velocity (except the hiper velocity) operate in the Trans-sonic range. This gets to be a very complicated subject.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Larry. We can always rely on you for good information. How close are the velocities you measure to the advertised velocity.

Not 22LR, but years ago I used my Oehler 33 to check some 130 grain Remington 270 Win ammo out of a Rem 700 and it was nearly 150 fps slower than factory advertised velocity.
    Surprisingly they were pretty close to advertised. The new CCI "match at 1070 fps was very, very close to that and actually was spot on out of my 10/22.

Back in the day before Oehler made chronographs that were easy to use and accurate the ammunition companies most often used 26" test barrels and advertised the highest velocity attained, not the average velocity. After the advent of readily available and affordable chronographs demonstrated the disparity of what was advertised and what was reality the advertised velocities became more realistic.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Based on what?
    Marketing

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    This is very true. As a stand alone statement, it holds up very well.
    However, all 22rf ammo, both Standard velocity and Hi-velocity (except the hiper velocity) operate in the Trans-sonic range. This gets to be a very complicated subject.
    Standard velocity as defined by marketing or standard velocity that is actually subsonic in many guns? No real objection to your observation, but really should separate 22rf ammo into 4 classes, sub-sonic, "standard", Hi-velocity, and hyper velocity.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Standard velocity as defined by marketing or standard velocity that is actually subsonic in many guns? No real objection to your observation, but really should separate 22rf ammo into 4 classes, sub-sonic, "standard", Hi-velocity, and hyper velocity.
    Sure. I take your point.
    I separate it for my needs into Match ammo of various quality - almost all of which is < 1100 fps and built for accuracy, and then cheap plinking/utility ammo, of which most is the Hi-Velocity product and promotional ammo.

In the case of CCI and some other manufactures product, it is both sub-sonic and described on the box as Standard Velocity.

For my part, this is a horse that is beat to death.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Some recent chronographed 10 shot test strings with start screen of M35P at 10'.

From 10/22;
    CCI Blazer gr; 1180 fps
    CCI Mini Group; 1092 fps
    Winchester white box; 1145 fps
    Remington Golden Sabre; 1197 fps
    Fed bulk 40; 1241 fps
    Rem Yellow Jacket; 1430 fps
    Rem Thunderbolt; 1201 fps

From Norinco TU-KKW w/26.5" barrel;
    CCI CB Long; 721 fps
    Rem 22 Short HV; 971 fps
    CCI Suppressor (970 fps); 935 fps
    CCI Match (1070 fps); 1071 fps.
    Remington Target; 1171 fps
    CCI Mini Group; 1112 fps
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    35 Rem: Also did not like the fact that rimfire group size is not linear out to 100 yards. 100 yard groups would be nearly twice what 75 yard groups were sometimes.

I found this in trials also. Tested at 40, 60, 77 and 100M as best I could. CCI standard was less than an inch at 77M but over 2" at 100. I used the CCI trhu the turkeys and went to Eley standard (brown box) for 100. Eley standard was almost half the group size of the CCI std. This in a Marlin 880SQ model.

Even being an offhand game my scores went up about 50% on the ram line and I think the ammo was helpful in that.

Boolit Master
    CCI SV is my go-to for standard 22lr. It's what I use the most of. I used to used RWS for my CZ455. It was expensive and I wasn't shooting in competition and the difference wasn't worth double the cost. What was and is worth the cost is Wolf Rifle Match, if you're in a competition, with my rifle. Buy a box of Eley, Apulia SV, CCI SV, and Wolf or SK. Shoot for groups with each box, cleaning in between each box. See what shoots best. Won't cost that much and you'll get the info you need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12