Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hanger for the new steel

New hanger for the new steel

Been wanting some more "life like "steel for shooting and noticed these little prairie dog for $35 not bad ! My main is a 4" gong and I shoot it anywhere from 100-500yd but though this would be nice and still not too big to where it's actually a test

But yeah needed to make a other one of my hangers. The ones I make are just rebar some ,nuts ,lock washers and a bit of cold roll. They can completely self support themselves which is pretty useful in the summer when the ground gets baked. They also fold which makes packing them in on foot and transporting in my car. They work pretty similar to the spade on an artillery piece and any forward shock just kind drives the longer back ones in. Really need to get a pool noodle though and have it as a pad for my shoulder because these things do dog in a little when you hiking them out lol.

Give a pretty good "natural" presentation if you ask me

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Mold
    Nice job on the stand!

Boolit Master
    I own a gun range,, and I build a variety of steel hangers or stands. Mine don't have to be moved so portability isn't as big of a concern.

But your design is very nice & looks quite capable of doing an excellent job.

I always build with a thought in the back of my mind; "If it's downrange,, it will get hit with a bullet eventually."

Boolit Master
    I like the rebar. It's affordable and sturdy plus easily repaired with the welder when it gets shot.

Boolit Master

Very nice, but I do see one problem: that empty bolt hole right in the middle. You're naturally going to aim for the middle when you're shooting at it, and if you're an awesome shot like me, you're going to shoot right through that hole every time!

(or at least that's what you can tell people whenever you shoot and don't hear a ding)

Boolit Master

Nice stand!
    Use two inch fire hose, instead of chain!
    They take more "missed" shots!

Boolit Buddy

No chains on my targets anymore. Neighbor provides me with used round baler belts. GW

Boolit Master
    Very nicely done!!!!
    Try a piece of carpet instead of the pool noodle for packing, it will save your shoulder.
    (Don't shoot the chains BTW)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Nice work.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Nice stand!
    With the rummies I shoot with, those aren't "missed" shots, I've gone to road find 2" and wider woven load straps. They take an awesome number of hits before breaking.

Or I used baling wire for the lighter dinger targets. They used a lot of ammo trying to cut that 14 gauge wire.

Or they just shot out the bolts.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Conveyor belt
    Old mud flaps

I prefer the “T-post Bandit” hangers from Innovative Targets here in Tennessee though.

Boolit Bub
    Great work, looks sturdy!

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Nice stand!
    Good idea -- I was going to use tire sidewalls or old conveyor belts from work when my chains break.

Moderator Emeritus

If you build it, someone will shoot it. I like the stands and if chain is cheap it serves a purpose. You can also use a drop down arm from the rebar as a swinging target holder. Local winds can get a chain swinging all by itself.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Several makers offer AR 500 J hooks . They seem to take a hit pretty well .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

For T-Posts, I picked up hangers from XSTEEL TARGETS. Heavy and problem free GW

Boolit Grand Master
    looks good to me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    At our military and sporting rifle matches, heavy angle iron is put over the hangers. Saves them pretty well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Been wanting some more "life like "steel for shooting and noticed these little prairie dog for $35 not bad ! My main is a 4" gong and I shoot it anywhere from 100-500yd but though this would be nice and still not too big to where it's actually a test

But yeah needed to make a other one of my hangers. The ones I make are just rebar some ,nuts ,lock washers and a bit of cold roll. They can completely self support themselves which is pretty useful in the summer when the ground gets baked. They also fold which makes packing them in on foot and transporting in my car. They work pretty similar to the spade on an artillery piece and any forward shock just kind drives the longer back ones in. Really need to get a pool noodle though and have it as a pad for my shoulder because these things do dog in a little when you hiking them out lol.

Give a pretty good "natural" presentation if you ask me

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    Great job on the stand. I like that it folds for travel. I don't have to haul mine so I build them solid. Did this rebar/t-post stand a few weeks ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240324_093922.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	324999
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    At NCBS we have been using the rebar for a while but instead mom all the welding, we just use iron plumbing pipe "t's" to make them even more portable, a bit cheaper, and easier to store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast