WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Model 1950, 45 ACP, Target Revolver

Boolit Master
    I think I have an even half dozen 25s in .45 ACP and Colt right now, and the blued ones would sure look good with those maple grips. Any chance you would share contact info for the maker? GF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    … Any chance you would share contact info for the maker? GF
    At this time, Curt has a two year wait and is not accepting new orders until he is caught up. Not sure what will happen then. He is keeping those cards close to his vest.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Still curious about it because I hear stories of variance and wonder about what matters and what works despite what dimensionality is found. If you are getting good accuracy shooting through a particular sized throat that is worth knowing for my or maybe someone else’s mental reference compared to what I am experiencing with what I have. Mine run .4515” through a 625-3. This tends to make me fonder of Alliant 2400 in the ACP/Auto Rim than others who report larger throat diameters and the interference fit of shooting .452” bullets through 4515” throats is possibly something to do with that.

So that is why I asked. If .454” cast is shooting well through a big throat that is something to consider. Or maybe it isn’t so big. When I have a particular outcome sometimes I tend to look as to why. Just how I roll.
    I grabbed some .452” and some .454” boolits. The 454 caught in the throats of both Model 1950 Target revolvers (also in a Model 1950 Army, but that is for a different thread.) I thought they would.

I then tried the .452” boolits and they also caught in the throats. I do not have plug gauges nor any smaller boolits so the throats are at least .452”.

Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    As I mentioned mine (625-3) are .4515” and it does shoot very well but due to the very shallow rifling skidding when striking the forcing cone is rather well developed and the heavier the bullet the wider the land marks are on the bullets. This is common to shallow rifled 45 ACP revolvers and also considering the longer jump to forcing cone, more so than standard deeper rifled calibers in Smiths like 38 Special. Skidding is noticeably less on 190ish grain target type 45 ACP bullets than the 452423 or the 452454 so the barrel fouls somewhat less over a long string of shots.

No problem with the heavier bullets for hunting use but for ultimate accuracy and frugality of lead usage my choice for practice and plinking is the lighter target type SWC’s with the 452423 used for hunting at around 960 fps with 6.8 grains Unique. One time I lengthwised a decent buck with that bullet at about 40 yards. Hit the base of the neck forward of the shoulder and the bullet came out the back of the right ham. The revolver is a five inch. Decent for woods range deer. Casting or heat treating to attain a harder bullet helps the skidding to some degree.

Sounds like your throats are definitely not too big so you have quashed that rumor for your collection. A friend had a 45 Colt Anaconda that accepted .458! Sheesh!
    Last edited by 35remington; 03-25-2024 at 06:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Sounds like your throats are definitely not too big so you have quashed that rumor for your collection. A friend had a 45 Colt Anaconda that accepted .458!…
    I have not measured all of my ACP revolvers. I might get to it some day. The GB 453423 and the SAECO 453 both have a long bearing surface which I prefer in the S&W ACP rifling. I don’t cast them very hard, 20/1 and I have no idea what they look like as I do not collect fired boolits. I am very content when they all stay in a 5” circle at 50 yards from offhand. Like I mentioned, I have two loads that work in my revolvers. Both are similar to hardball. If the revolver does not like one of them, down the road it goes.

Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    The target wadcutters I like have short noses and quite long bearing surfaces for their length like the 452488 and the discontinued Lee 190 sorta slight round nosed semiwadcutter so there is some commonality of function there I think. I just like being frugal with lead when clanging steel or punching paper and an N frame Smith shooting a target wadcutter at 750 fps is a pleasant respite from shooting 19-24 ounce 9mm pistols.

Those blunt fat bullets sling a steel can of any sort a lot further than 9mm ball. I remember back in the day how much further the old metal coffee cans would get slung along the ground when shot. No comparison actually. Plinking is way more fun using a wheelie and I don’t have to chase brass.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8066.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	325076

On the left is the SAECO 453, middle is a 250 RNFP and far right is a 250 WC. This summer I hope to get a chance to test the middle and right boolits. Can they unseat the 453 or 452423? We will see!

Kevin

Boolit Master
    As I mentioned mine (625-3) are .4515” and it does shoot very well but due to the very shallow rifling skidding when striking the forcing cone is rather well developed and the heavier the bullet the wider the land marks are on the bullets. This is common to shallow rifled 45 ACP revolvers and also considering the longer jump to forcing cone, more so than standard deeper rifled calibers in Smiths like 38 Special. Skidding is noticeably less on 190ish grain target type 45 ACP bullets than the 452423 or the 452454 so the barrel fouls somewhat less over a long string of shots.

No problem with the heavier bullets for hunting use but for ultimate accuracy and frugality of lead usage my choice for practice and plinking is the lighter target type SWC’s with the 452423 used for hunting at around 960 fps with 6.8 grains Unique. One time I lengthwised a decent buck with that bullet at about 40 yards. Hit the base of the neck forward of the shoulder and the bullet came out the back of the right ham. The revolver is a five inch. Decent for woods range deer. Casting or heat treating to attain a harder bullet helps the skidding to some degree.

Sounds like your throats are definitely not too big so you have quashed that rumor for your collection. A friend had a 45 Colt Anaconda that accepted .458! Sheesh!
    I just reread your post. You are getting better accuracy with the shorter bearing surface of the lighter boolit? That sounds contrary to logic but, empirical evidence trump intuitive logic. Any specific boolit? I certainly would not mind a boolit that save me 25% each shot.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    I was just given a new grip adapter that I have fit to this revolver. I am not sure about it.

Name:	IMG_8631.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	325236

Name:	IMG_8632.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	325237

Your thoughts?

Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    The bearing surface might be slightly shorter compared to the heavy SWC’s but the overall length of the bullet is shorter as well, at least comparing SWC versus SWC. So bearing surface as a percentage of overall length is more favorable. They are used for target shooting for what I presume to be good reason, so I followed the crowd and have no complaint. Look for any of those favored by the bullseye crowd. These would be relatively short nosed SWC type.

Boolit Master
    The bearing surface might be slightly shorter compared to the heavy SWC’s but the overall length of the bullet is shorter as well, at least comparing SWC versus SWC. So bearing surface as a percentage of overall length is more favorable. They are used for target shooting for what I presume to be good reason, so I followed the crowd and have no complaint. Look for any of those favored by the bullseye crowd. These would be relatively short nosed SWC type.
    I have thought about the 200/210 SWC but have not tried them.

As much as I like to experiment, I have nearly two dozen ACP revolvers, I want 1 or 2 loads that work in all. I may buy 500 boolits to try out.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 04-07-2024 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post

Name:	IMG_8066.jpg 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	325076

On the left is the SAECO 453, middle is a 250 RNFP and far right is a 250 WC. This summer I hope to get a chance to test the middle and right boolits. Can they unseat the 453 or 452423? We will see!

Kevin
    A useful looking variety of bullets. That middle one, provided accuracy was there, would check all my boxes.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

I was just given a new grip adapter that I have fit to this revolver. I am not sure about it.

Name:	IMG_8631.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	325236

Name:	IMG_8632.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	325237

Your thoughts?

Kevin
    Is that grip adapter brass/gold colored?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Is that grip adapter brass/gold colored?

I believe it is called bronze. This is the first one I have had in the flesh. I had seen images but never the real thing. I am not sure what revolver this will end up gracing.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    A useful looking variety of bullets. That middle one, provided accuracy was there, would check all my boxes.

I will give it a good trial but I really prefer the wadcutter boolits.

Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    I like a nice fat strong leading band myself to grab ahold of the rifling ASAP.

Boolit Master
    I will give it a good trial but I really prefer the wadcutter boolits.

Kevin
    A double-ended wadcutter based on the SAECO 348 (.38 special) has a bevel at the nose.

Crimped in the groove, it should fit right up against and the chamber throats and align itself.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=45-225W

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    A double-ended wadcutter based on the SAECO 348 (.38 special) has a bevel at the nose.

Crimped in the groove, it should fit right up against and the chamber throats and align itself.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=45-225W
    Correct. But, I am only interested in wadcutters, or very blunt noses, for the 45 calibers, preferably, ACP.

Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12