Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boolits won't drop from new MP 40-160 brass mold

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    This is the first thing that comes up when I typed in "Lead vaporization temperature":

752 degrees F
    The problem is that lead starts to vaporize when heated over 752 degrees F, and you can end up breathing in the poisonous fumes.
    I would find another reference besides "thisoldhouse.com" Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

According to some scientific references, the vaporization rate of lead is approximately zero at 600 degrees C, which is 1112 degrees Farenheit.

That reference from thisoldhouse.com is referring to lead in paint, which is likely a lead compound with different physical properties, not metallic lead.

Boolit Master

Lead carbonate, previously used in paint decomposes in pure form at 315C/599F releasing toxic fumes.

Lead carbonate is not metallic lead, either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240403_091947.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	325396
    I polish the pins on pretty much all my HP & HB molds due to release issues. The pentas can benefit from it as well but you'll need a steady hand. I haven't found it necessary to remove every machining mark, just smooth out the peaks. Some of them come rough as a cobb. I don't know the current state of affairs but for a long time but my understanding is that MP had been farming out the pins to a subcontractor so not much he could do for QC. Some of the longer round pins also suffered from tool deflection issues causing the tips to bow out and create a mechanical interlock. You can see some of that in the longer pin partly cut in the pic above. Some times I'll round off the end as you see to eliminate the needle point. Doesn't meaningfully effect expansion and helps eliminate some of the air bubble and fill out problems. Graphite or other release agent on the pin tips as everyone else has mentioned helps as well.

Boolit Master

This is the first thing that comes up when I typed in "Lead vaporization temperature":

752 degrees F
    The problem is that lead starts to vaporize when heated over 752 degrees F, and you can end up breathing in the poisonous fumes.
    I believe that BK addressed your mis-direction pretty well.
    Take care, and good luck,
    Rick

I run my penta pins about 750° and the round at 720°. With both I cast fast to keep the mold temp up to frosting level.

As to the 752° level we all have to weigh the level of risk we each are willing to accept and act accordingly.

I choose to run hot and fast. But for my Big .45-90 535gr boolits I'll go as high as 800° on my PID.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

KVO, that’s beautiful!

RickinTN. Misdirection? That feels like I should take that comment personally. I wasn’t trying to misdirect anyone. I was only sharing what I read.

Boolit Master

752 degrees F
    I guess I probably took it personally when you called me out in bold print. I rarely say or type anything which I have no idea what I'm talking about. My apologies if necessary.
    Take care,
    Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12