Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Leg Bypass surgery

Boolit Master

Leg Bypass surgery

Looks like I am probably headed for this surgery. The price I pay for years of smoking.

Any experiences?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Be glad you don't have bladder cancer. A side effect of smoking. #2 son got it. was caught early. Dr. says if he does what he is told should have no problem. Treatment is a bit uncomfortable over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Looks like I am probably headed for this surgery. The price I pay for years of smoking.

Any experiences?
    I work in a hospital doing physical therapy. I've treated several dozen over the years. They aren't too bad or painful usually. Keep the leg elevated(foot uphill) after so it doesn't swell and pump your ankle hourly for 30 seconds or so. This will keep swelling down and decreased swelling equals decreased pain.

Walk several times per day to keep blood flow in the leg and take breaks if the leg begins to increasingly hurt with walking. Allow pain to subside before continuing. Walking keeps it loosened up and also pumps blood around the incision which speeds up healing time.

It's not a bad surgery and you should have less leg pain afterwards. Most people have "claudication" before the surgery--pain with walking due to decreased blood flow. That should lessen afterwards.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

I had a bypass surgery on September 2, 2020. I stopped smoking the same morning at 5:30. It was better than loosing my leg and my leg was completely clogged. They took the vessel out of my right arm. Recovery for me was pretty quick. I won the Tennessee State Sporting Clays championsip pre-lim 3weeks and two days later. I have ahd to have remedial surgeries several times since then. It either cloggs up or narrows. The last was a procedure on March 8th because the vessel was shrinking.
    Good Luck to you, and I hope all goes well for you.
    Take care,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I had a bypass surgery on September 2, 2020. I stopped smoking the same morning at 5:30. It was better than loosing my leg and my leg was completely clogged. They took the vessel out of my right arm. Recovery for me was pretty quick. I won the Tennessee State Sporting Clays championsip pre-lim 3weeks and two days later. I have ahd to have remedial surgeries several times since then. It either cloggs up or narrows. The last was a procedure on March 8th because the vessel was shrinking.
    Good Luck to you, and I hope all goes well for you.
    Take care,
    Rick
    Thanks Rick,
    How long was your hospital stay and how long until you were back in commission?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Master

My surgery was on a Wednesday morning. The doctor told me I would have to stay until Monday but on Friday morning he said I was doing so well he sent me home, so 2 days. I was out and around and driving a week later.
    Good Luck to you, and do good!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    My surgery was on a Wednesday morning. The doctor told me I would have to stay until Monday but on Friday morning he said I was doing so well he sent me home, so 2 days. I was out and around and driving a week later.
    Good Luck to you, and do good!
    Rick
    Thanks Rick,

Last question, I promise. About how old were you when you had it done?

Boolit Master

Hope you do well.
    Rick