Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Auction opinion questions

Boolit Master

Auction opinion questions

I am going to be taking some guns to the local auction house as part of thinning things out. A couple are in unusual/rare calibers such as .350 Remington Magnum and .358 Norma Magnum.

Over the years I have accumulated factory ammo in these calibers, which sell for some pretty good money on Gun Broker.

I find myself wondering if I should take the ammo to the local auction house as well, or sell it separately on GB?

Any thoughts, experiences?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

for me rare caliber the ammo would be a selling point.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    for me rare caliber the ammo would be a selling point.
    Do you mean having it available in the same auction as the gun?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Master

I watch the consignment sales on a couple of downstate auction houses and, from what I've seen, 'unusual/rare' ammo doesn't seem to bring any real premium money there. A week ago, I snagged 100 rounds of R-P .22 Hornet for $60 + auctioneer's commission while on the same auction milsurp 30-06 and 7.62 went for a buck or two a round. I'd try GunBroker first (with a reasonable minimum bid) 'cause you can alway withdraw if you don't get any interest.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Talk to your auctioneer and see what he recommends, Work with him and see what he thinks, Most auction houses know where to advertise items and what draws the people.

People pay some pretty crazy money for stuff on GunBroker. If you are somewhere that shipping ammo is not an issue GunBroker could be well worth it. Which is going to rake you over the coals the worst for seller fees?

I agree, talk with the auctioneer. I wouldn’t want the hassle of shipping ammo with cost and some state’s ( mine) crazy laws.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking maybe put one box in the gun auction that the gun buyer could bid on and the rest on gun broker. None of the calibers are impossible to find, but they are a little rarer.

Boolit Buddy
    I would list ammo on Gunbroker as the target audience is much larger, do your homework, start out with higher price and drop in increments until sold. At an auction house you may not get your target audience. Shipping ammo have to ship UPS or FedEx with triangle black/white sticker.

Boolit Bub
    Auction prices are insane if you have the items in the right auction but the auctioneers do generally take a hefty cut. Shop around to see what everyone is charging. Some auction houses deal with guns more than others too so better to look at those ones first. Hessney in Geneva does a lot of gun auctions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger1980 View Post
    Auction prices are insane if you have the items in the right auction but the auctioneers do generally take a hefty cut. Shop around to see what everyone is charging. Some auction houses deal with guns more than others too so better to look at those ones first. Hessney in Geneva does a lot of gun auctions.
    That is who I use.