Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old eyes and shooting

Boolit Master
    I had an optometrist that was a rimfire position shooter from way back. He still had his canvas shooting jacket, Win 52, and a case of 10x he bought for $95. WOW!

I was shooting NRA and IHMSA silhouette and I "specialized" in the standing positions. When I hit my later 40's my vision went from 20/10 to 20/40 in a year. Then 20/60 the following year with an astigmatism thrown in the mix. As my sight changed my doc had me bring in my guns and he made me glasses. Every 4-6 months was a new lens. He'd make sure the lens kept me focused on the front sight. As the blur got worse for the distant targets I added a merit adjustable aperture to sharpen the target in my sight picture as I focused on the front sight. As my sight got worse and the astigmatism came to be, I changed to a Knobloch setup with a larger lens and aperture with eye blind for the non-sighting eye. About that time I was shooting at 100, 200 and 500 yard matches. One day at a rimfire match I started to shoot turkeys at 75 meters and I saw 3 turkeys where there should only be 1. I shot at the middle turkey and missed. Next set of 3, I shot at the left turkey and missed. Next set of 3, I missed the right. I set my gun aside and waited for the line to be called. There's too many scopes out there to worry about what my lying eyes are tell me. Other than I got old and it's time to move on. Put a scope on it and see perfectly clear.

I do shoot pistols with irons but that's at 50 yards max and it better be at least 10" across. I'm actually getting ready to use a red dot and a reflex sight.

I am trying to remember where I read about using a 'stick on magnifier, that allows you to see your front sight? My 65 year old eyes don't focus well any more. I have been following this thread, and considering a set of lenses that allow me to focus on my front pistol sight. I will likely have to go back and search thru a few of my favorite shooting forums to find it? hc18flyer

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I am trying to remember where I read about using a 'stick on magnifier, that allows you to see your front sight? My 65 year old eyes don't focus well any more. I have been following this thread, and considering a set of lenses that allow me to focus on my front pistol sight. I will likely have to go back and search thru a few of my favorite shooting forums to find it? hc18flyer
    Maybe you are thinking of the Merritt stick on apperature? - not a magnifier, but a device that does tend to sharpen the image.

I think it was Merritt.

I have read about the Merit aperture device. But I also read about the 'stick on magnifiers? Tom

Boolit Master
    Merit made one with a suction cup with a arm to the adjustable aperture. Give it a lick and stick it to your glasses. Focus on your front sight and adjust the aperture till the target in your sight picture isn't fuzzy or out of focus. Worked really good and you could look down around it in your glasses to tend ammo and the gun. Once you got used to placement on your glasses it was a breeze to setup and use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12