Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Lynotype + ? = Usable Casting Alloys

Boolit Mold

Lynotype + ? = Usable Casting Alloys

I'm new to the sight but have viewed it many times in the past. I have several hundred pounds of Lynotype lead that I wish to use for casting bullets. I've cast bullets in the past, a long time ago, but never used Lynotype lead before. Does anyone know of formulas to use for adding pure lead or wheel weights to Lynotype. I looked through a few threads but didn't see anything specific. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. i also tried to become a paying member but the only payment option given is PayPal. Are there no other options or do I have to get a PayPal account?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by twinscrewcanoe View Post
    I'm new to the sight but have viewed it many times in the past. I have several hundred pounds of Lynotype lead that I wish to use for casting bullets. I've cast bullets in the past, a long time ago, but never used Lynotype lead before. Does anyone know of formulas to use for adding pure lead or wheel weights to Lynotype. I looked through a few threads but didn't see anything specific. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. i also tried to become a paying member but the only payment option given is PayPal. Are there no other options or do I have to get a PayPal account?
    Welcome to the Forum. What are you planning to cast for. Add 4 pounds of linotype to 15 pounds of soft lead and you have a good pistol alloy..

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. What are you planning to cast for. Add 4 pounds of linotype to 15 pounds of soft lead and you have a good pistol alloy..
    I am casting for pistol and rifle. Thanks for the info.

Super Moderator

I often mix 25% linotype to 75% wheel weights for my rifle alloys. For pistol loads you could use a 1 to 4 mixture of lino to pure lead. I have found that straight wheel weights will also work just fine for most pistol loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Linotype and pure lead in any mix is excellent for shooting pistols at paper. The more linotype you add the harder the bullet. The only problem is Linotype has a lot of antimony and needs some tin for toughness or in high concentrations it can become brittle. For rifle and anything shot at critters I always add an additional 2% tin or pewter.

There are a number of alloy calculators out there so start plugging in numbers and see what kind of harness you get. Then look at the tin / antimony ratio. For rifles and game I like mine close to 1:1.

If you join Team Boolits, when you choose your level of participation and pick "order" it will give you a payment choice under the paypal option or contact via private message (PM) No_1 and he can help.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33573-No_1

And welcome aboard.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I cast some 9 pounds of ww + 1 pound of Lino and with my Lee tester air cooled had a bhn of 14 and water cooled was 30.

The chart came with my Lyman mold.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The chart came with my Lyman mold.
    I've been using "Formula B" for many years with consistent results casting excellent bullets for match rifle shooting in the 1800 - 1900 fps range and for HV shooting running them upwards of 3000 fps [using slower twist barrels] with excellent sub 2 moa accuracy out to 600 yards. Only difference is I use pure tin. I then add 5 1/2 lb of pure lead and 1/2 lb (8 ounces) of tin to 4 lbs of linotype for 10 lbs of #2 alloy. I most often WQ those bullets out of the mould which give them a BHN of 20 - 22.

I also use other ternary and binary alloys for other shooting, especially with handguns and for plinking/cat's sneeze loads in rifles. In my opinion adding linotype to COWWs to supposedly "sweeten the alloy" by adding tin is a waste of both alloys. Doing so adds way too much antimony with the linotype to an already too rich antimony alloy (the COWWs). Antimony will combine with tine, up to about 5% of each, to form the submetal SnSb which will stay in solution in the lead even during solidification. All the excess antimony will not stay in solution in the lead and will harden before the lead giving spots of frosted grey speckled appearance on the surface of the bullet. That balance of antimony to tin at 5% each is what makes #2 alloy such an excellent alloy. #2 alloy is certainly not needed for all bullet applications but when the best cast rifle bullet possible for the best accuracy at medium or higher velocity is needed #2 alloy is my go to.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-19-2024 at 10:19 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by twinscrewcanoe View Post
    I'm new to the sight but have viewed it many times in the past. I have several hundred pounds of Lynotype lead that I wish to use for casting bullets. I've cast bullets in the past, a long time ago, but never used Lynotype lead before. Does anyone know of formulas to use for adding pure lead or wheel weights to Lynotype.

>>>SNIP
    If I had excess Linotype, I'd mix it 3 to 1 (Pure lead to Lino) for pistol ammo and I'd heat treat that for Rifle. BTW, 3 to 1 comes out to be 96-3-1 which is very similar to WW. To get a little more into the weeds, if you had some Tin, I'd add 2% for a final alloy of 94-3-3 which does cast remarkable better, but it's not necessary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Linotype is a wonderful casting alloy. I cast very easily and makes really sharp castings. It was developed to be just that. It is expensive compared to pure lead so most people add pure lead to linotype to make cheaper and/or softer bullets. Mixing it with wheelweights or purer lead reduces the tin content. That raises the melting point, makes it softer and makes it less easy to cast flawless bullets. People can successfully cast pure lead so you can mix as much softer alloy with your linotype as you want.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Did you mean the other way around? I shoot a lot of 3-1, lead/lino. Makes a very good bullet for all the service calibers. You can water drop that for harder bullet. Only rifle stuff I shoot is 45-70 & they dont need to be very hard for thjat.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Did you mean the other way around? I shoot a lot of 3-1, lead/lino. Makes a very good bullet for all the service calibers. You can water drop that for harder bullet. Only rifle stuff I shoot is 45-70 & they dont need to be very hard for thjat.
    I was trying to say to have a 4 to 1 lead to linotype ratio. I might have not been clear on my post.

Boolit Buddy
    I would do like Larry said and use formula B to make Lyman No2. Use the 90-5-5 Lyman No2 for high pressure/velocity rifle stuff and magnum handgun projectiles. Further mix the Lyman No2 1/1 with pure soft lead for 95-2.5-2.5 for the rest of your handgun projectiles.

Boolit Master
    As long as you keep the ratio of less than 3 parts antimony to 1 part tin regardless of lead balance you will not have brittle boolits. Linotype is already in balance of 3 to 1 so cutting it 50/50 lead/lino or even 75/25 lead lino will still be balanced alloy.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

I always heard to get hardball for rifle boolits (92-2-6) which. Is one of the hardest of bullet alloys. Is to mix pure lead to Lino (84-4-12) in a 50-50 ratio. 5 pounds to 5 pounds. It’s exactly half of Lino.

I always heard to get hardball for rifle boolits (92-2-6) which. Is one of the hardest of bullet alloys. Is to mix pure lead to Lino (84-4-12) in a 50-50 ratio. 5 pounds to 5 pounds. It’s exactly half of Lino.