RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Uberti/ Cimarron 1873 Short Rifle in .45 Colt

Boolit Man

Uberti/ Cimarron 1873 Short Rifle in .45 Colt

I have a new Cimarron 1873 short rifle in .45 Colt, I made sure my first 100 rnds were copper jacket, now I’m ready to start casting lead boolits (#2 alloy) for it. I like to shoot light loads cuz all I do is kill steel plates set up on the property. But I’ve read those toggle actions aren’t very strong. I’d like to use the old standby. 8
    Grns of unique behind a 250 grn LRN boolit sized to .453. Am I right to assume since it’s a modern reproduction rifle that it will safely Handel any standard .45 Colt ammo, 14,000 psi max, or should I restrict my loads for it, to no more than the starting loads in the loading manuals?
    Thanks
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Master

That's load works fine in mine, kills deer out to a hundred yards with broadside pass through, so steel plates shouldn't require a second shot FWIW Uberti/Pedersoli proofs all of their rifles to 28,000 PSI. The weak toggle link is a myth with respect to the new manufactured rifles, note that they are also chambered in 44 and 357 magnum so I'd hardly call them weak. Not my opinion, published fact..... that ought to open a can of worms
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Any load from the published reloading manuals for the 1873 SAA revolver will work in the 1873 Winchester. I know that Uberti makes the 1873 Winchester rifles and carbines in both .357 and .44 Magnum so I wouldn't worry about the strength of a normal .45 Colt load.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master

Mine is a long barreled 1873 and I use 8 gr of Unique with a 265 gr FPRN cast bullet. I have a Marbles tang sight on it and it will group under 1 inch at 50 yards. I've dropped several deer with it. The farthest any of them ran was 10 feet!

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Cimarron 24” 1873 Rifle in 45colt. It did very well with 250gr swc with that charge of Unique. Any standard 45 colt load will be fine in those rifles.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Grand Master

In my Cimarron Carbine 45 Colt 8.5 gr Unique under the 454190 (250 gr) works fine but is a bit overkill for steel, rocks and general fun shooting. I prefer to use a 200 gr bullet [Lee's 452-200-RF] over 7.2 gr of Bullseye or 700X. Either gives a measured psi [Contender test barrel with an Oehler M43 PBL to measure the psi] of 14,000 +/- where the Unique load runs 16,000 - 18,000 psi. The 200 gr bullet load runs 1150 - 1200 fps out of the carbine (20" barrel) and is quite accurate out to at least 200 yards also. That load runs 950 fps out of my Uberti SAs and also is very accurate in them.

BTW
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Good post,
    I liked the answers. I have a short 2018 Uberti USA 1873 Limited Edition Short Rifle Deluxe that is all engraved. Love that rifle and this information does help. Now no worries, I can shoot the same loads that I use in my Winchester 1892. Could not resist posting a picture of her. She is one of my favorites. Sorry really could not resist.

Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Buddy
    My 1873 Uberti Sporting Rifle in 45 Colt is one of the very first five imported to the US in 1986, purchased in 1987 from the first buyer. I've shot many a std 45 Colt load thru it. Still as tight as the day I bought it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0644.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	324753
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Man
    Well OK then I’ve been schooled by those in the know, and I’d like to thank each and everyone of you for your time and help.
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett