WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ringed Barrel ?

Boolit Bub

Ringed Barrel ?

I have a Chasspot/Gras carbine with a ringed barrel approximately 1-1/4” in front of the rear sight. You can feel it on the outside barely and can see, what looks like a gap inside, a black ring on the inside. When running a tight patch you can feel the loss of the rifling then catch it again.

The question I have is it safe to shoot with BP 3/4 loads. With the rifling almost the full length, I’m not worried about accuracy just don’t want to have a kaboom over my hand. It is a 1873 with a sleeved chamber if this helps any.
    Thanks, Rob.
    PS- where can I buy 50-110 WCF brass at ?

I would at least tie it to a tire and get back behind something and fire it a few times with a string.

never had any centerfires with ringed barrels, but several .22 rimfires + had no safety issues +accuracy was not effected -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

A ringed barrel is stressed at that point How much is hard to tell even looking at it in hand. The problem with stressed areas is they can let go on the next firing or 100 later. I would consider having it lined replacing the chamber and ringed area both.

Vendor Sponsor

You can also have it cut back and re-crowned.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I like this answer.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRob View Post
    I have a Chasspot/Gras carbine with a ringed barrel approximately 1-1/4” in front of the rear sight. You can feel it on the outside barely and can see, what looks like a gap inside, a black ring on the inside. When running a tight patch you can feel the loss of the rifling then catch it again.
    That would remove most of the barrel.

To the OP. I would never recommend anyone shoot it. That being said I it was mine I would shoot it using light BP loads.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I had a 303 with a case neck stamped in to the bore by subsequent shots ......noticeable bulge on the outside .

Boolit Master

in front of the rear sight .....gonna end up a tad short
    aussies go to jail for stuff like that

Boolit Master
    I had a Remington-Hepburn .38-40 that had a ring and bulge about 4” from the muzzle. The rest of the rifling was pristine.

I couldn’t get it to shoot for sour apples, whatever loads I tried. Back then, I was only using smokeless. I drilled out the barrel ahead of the ring&bulge and “crowned” the new muzzle end as best I could by turning the drill carefully by hand. Still couldn’t hit anything with it, so drilled it out the rest of the way for a liner.

On the other hand, I found a Winchester bolt action .22 at a storage auction sale with a similar ring and bulge that shot as well as any other non-target-grade .22 I own.

I’d do some judicious experiments with black-powder loads and see what happens at the target.

Boolit Bub
    M-Tecs, yeah I’m going with 1/4 - 1/2 loads as max for now. I am also in pursuit of another barrel
    The bad thing is that the current barrel is in overall good shape. Oh well, win some lose some.

Rob

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    in front of the rear sight .....gonna end up a tad short
    aussies go to jail for stuff like that

"a ringed barrel approximately 1-1/4” in front of the rear sight"

Ooops! It clearly said rear sight but in my mind, I saw front sight. I'll go sit in the corner now.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    using a split bushing, squeeze the barrel back round, no heat
    worst case it won't work , if you shoot it as is , might get some leading (gas cutting) at the bulge

I have seen my Smith do this with shotgun barrels

Boolit Master
    FYI
    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/f...barrel.395083/
    magnaflux was recommended to check for cracks

Boolit Buddy

Rebarrel that ole Gras to 45-70 I make 11mm Gras brass out of 348 Winchester. 45-70 would work out better. Its a pain forming the 11mm Gras. You might have to modify your extractor. Hey its too bad there isn't much 50-70 brass available. 50-70 would be a good rebarrel too!

Boolit Master

"a ringed barrel approximately 1-1/4” in front of the rear sight"

Ooops! It clearly said rear sight but in my mind, I saw front sight. I'll go sit in the corner now.
    nah ! ya get a pass on the naughty corner

on a more serious note dont you guys get in trouble for that too?
    never made sense to me ---shortened long arms are illegal ? yet pistols are all over the place ? some politician logic involved there ...........................

Boolit Master
    Can you not debulge a barrel? If the barrel is round at that point and accuracy is shot, anyway, I'd give it a try.

Drill and bore out a hole in a bar of steel to match the OD of the bulged section. Cut it in half. Put the barrel in, clamp it, and hit it with a hammer. Check loose spot with a cleaning rod. Rotate and repeat until the loose spot is no longer noticeable. Then slug and check for tight spot and lap as required.

Boolit Master
    Yes,shotgun barrels are 'ironed out' all the time .........Id think a Chassepot /Gras would have a soft steel barrel and correction would have no effect on strength ......however ,to make the blocks you need a lathe ,and not everyone has one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    never had any centerfires with ringed barrels, but several .22 rimfires + had no safety issues +accuracy was not effected -
    seen a 22/250 with a ring near the muzzle ----knowing the gun and the people i say 99% a mud wasp nest in the spout
    maybe some interesting pressure to do it