Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I bought an Indian made musket and...

Boolit Master

I bought an Indian made musket and...

It sucks!

I purchased a Military Heritage Indian Trade Gun, drilled the touch hole 1/16, added some flint and was off to the races.

I noticed the touch hole went into the breach plug where it's more cone shaped. There's a good amount of metal from the pan to the powder.

At the range the first thing I noticed was that the bore was tight. It was supposed to be a 62 cal gun, but in reality it was 60 cal. I couldn't get a patch on any of the 60 cal balls that I cast for this gun. Even a bare ball was tight. My jag was too big for a cleaning patch, so I couldn't patch or clean the gun. The copper brush could be pushed in but would have locked in if I pushed it all the way in so that was off the table too.

Spark was OK, but getting the main charge to ignite was difficult. A few times I had to stuff powder in the touch hole with a pick to get it to go off. I'm not sure what's going on there. My powder was pretty course to maybe it was stacking in there. I did bang the side of the gun to try to settle it, but it didn't help.

After getting it home I decided to open up the hole in the breach plug and even carved out a channel so powder could sit closer to the touch hole. I don't want to enlarge the touch hole any more than necessary.

Accuracy was very poor, but some of that could have been the constant hang fires, no rear sight and not knowing what charge works the best.

The next size ball down I can get is the Lee .575 which would be more ideal for a 58 cal. Maybe I can powder coat these balls to bump them up?

If round balls aren't an option my goal would be to get it at least reliable so I can use it as a turkey gun with shot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I worked on a friends Indian Musket that was having similar issues as yours.
    I drilled and tapped the barrel and installed a flash hole liner.
    That way we could play with the flash hole size and not destroy the rifle .
    He did put one liner in that he had drilled the flash hole larger that wasn’t too good .
    But he was just able to replace the liner to one that worked well.

Boolit Buddy
    I've bought several of the Military Heritage guns and activated them including three of the trade guns. After drilling the flash holes I tested with a large powder charge and all went bang without blowing up. The bore sizes were supposed to be a .62 but I played with different sizes of ball from TOW and used a variety of patching material from tow to cloth to paper (as in paper cartridge style). They all work along with the three military muskets that received the same treatment. The Indian guns can be a challenge from soft frizzens to "off center" or too long of breech plugs. Accuracy isn't going to be fantastic - they are smooth bore with no sights. My favorite style is the Fusil de Chasse - I just like the lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    It sucks!
    You'll find a way to make it yours.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a beautifully built .54 caliber Jager flintlock rifle. The broker that was selling all the guns out of this estate handed me the rifle and said is was a cherry stocked, iron mounted German pattern Jager rifle. It had a sliding wooden patch box too and a swamped barrel but no sights or dovetails cut for sights. The gun was raised carved too! The touch hole was not drilled. I knew of the contemporary maker and know he would not have iron mounted this rifle. Took a chance and paid the $500 When back in my pickup truck I rubbed the butt plate quite hard. Yep ! It was sterling silver mounted! Not German Silver but real sterling silver. The touch hole was a problem as the lock was mounted too far back on the barrel so that the touch hole would be into the breech plug. No good! I drilled with a drill press and set the stop on the drill press so the 5/64" drill would stop about the center of the breech plug. Had to drive the barrel pins out and remove the breech plug out of the barrel. I wrapped the breech plug with a piece of split copper tube so as not to mess up the threads and chucked it up in my lathe 4-jaw. After centering the plug I proceeded to dish out the center until I got into the newly drilled touch hole. I reassembled the rifle and took it out to the range with some .530" patched balls. My new dovetails and sights were just eveballed in place. The gun shot on paper at 50 yards with fast ignition! Have since killed several Pennsylvania whitetails with this "Iron Mounted" Jager. Steve, I think I would try to remove that breech plug on your Indian musket and funnel out or dish the breech plug so your ignition improves. I favor a 5/64" touch hole.

Why do you people buy these things?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    They make a lovely companion piece for their Taurus.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    So, what's the problem with them? Have you ever handled or shot one?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    So, what's the problem with them? Have you ever handled or shot one?
    I believe the original post answered that question. As does your own post.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    So, is it false advertising on Military Heritage's part? They sell them as a non-shooter. What people try to do with them after receipt is beyond their control. If someone wants one set and ready to go buy it from Veteran Arms who takes the Indian made muskets and converts them and tests them. Sure they cost a bit more but that's what you are paying for, a conversion done correctly and tested.

Boolit Master
    The Indian-made guns can be a good value if you are prepared to work them over. Some are fine out of the gate. This subject is a perennial one over at muzzleloader.com.
    They can be an inexpensive way to scratch an itch, e.g., for a flintlock blunderbuss.
    Many seem to have better luck buying them from Loyalist Arms in Canada or Veterans Arms here in the Colonies.
    Last edited by Abert Rim; 03-27-2024 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    A Pedersoli would be at least twice the price.

Yes, it's not working right now, but I've done some more modifications. Maybe a custom ball mould is needed. I haven't given up. I really just want something that goes bang most of the time.

Banned

A Pedersoli would be at least twice the price.

Yes, it's not working right now, but I've done some more modifications. Maybe a custom ball mould is needed. I haven't given up. I really just want something that goes bang most of the time.
    The Pedersoli could easily be worth 4 times the price of the low quality rifle.

For someone who likes a challenge and a project they sound like fun.
    I may look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    For someone who likes a challenge and a project they sound like fun.
    I may look into it.
    Congratulations!!!!! Rooting for you. Dare to be on your own path.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Jeff Tanner has reasonable priced roundball mold a in any diameter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
    Jeff Tanner has reasonable priced roundball mold a in any diameter.
    I was looking at those. A .590 might be just the ticket.

Boolit Buddy
    It sucks!
    As has been said, some of them are gtg, and some of them are a project. If you decide you don't want to fiddle with it anymore, pm me.

You may have a bur inside that touch hole that's causing your ignition issues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    The Pedersoli could easily be worth 4 times the price of the low quality rifle.

Perhaps some people dont wish to spend 4,000$ at track of the wolf to purchase a copy of a british navy boarding pistol of 1779 when they wish to spend their weekend playing "Pirates of the carribean".