WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: M31 Swiss Carbines

Boolit Buddy

M31 Swiss Carbines

Stopped by a local (Owatonna, MN) Cabelas yesterday and noticed two racks of very nice K31 carbines with slings and muzzle caps for $699. A bit rich for my blood but looking on-line afterward noted that most places are sold out or much more expensive. Just wanted to pass along the availability.
    Last edited by 36g; 03-17-2024 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    I bought one when they were much cheaper, along with a couple of the 480 round ammo packs. Very accurate rifle, especially for an as-issued military gun.

Boolit Master

I use to work with a man that served in the Swiss army, they gave him the K31 rifle he was issued when he was discharged. Since I had one, I made the remark that I thought they shot a bit high at the lowest sight setting. He said that was done on purpose, because the Rhine river between Switzerland and Germany was 300 yards wide....... Don't know if he was pulling my leg or not, but it made a good story.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I use to work with a man that served in the Swiss army, they gave him the K31 rifle he was issued when he was discharged. Since I had one, I made the remark that I thought they shot a bit high at the lowest sight setting. He said that was done on purpose, because the Rhine river between Switzerland and Germany was 300 yards wide....... Don't know if he was pulling my leg or not, but it made a good story.
    Jeff,

I served with a Swiss lad whose dad was issued a K31 and served in the Swiss Army in WWII. His dad said he was at HQTS one day when a German general showed up and chatted with the dad's commanding officer. The German said, "My command is double yours, what if we crossed the border today?" The Swiss officer said, "We would shoot twice!"

True or not, it still is a great story.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

That's an old story, Adam. About the fourth version of it that I've seen in the past 40 years. The original version I heard was a Swiss diplomat talking to one of Hitler's generals - You have an army of a million, what if we invade with two million? We'd each have to shoot twice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Wayne,

Thank you for the update. Either way, I think the Swiss had the right rifles. In 1961 I bought an M1889 rifle for $13.99 at the local gun shop; I was 16 years old. I could only afford two 6-round clips of Ball ammo for $1.00 each. I later acquired M1911 carbines and rifles and finally a M31.

I retired the M1889 and like my M1911 carbine for woods loafing in deer and bear season.

Be well.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Interwebs says that a good possibility.
    Goes in my books as true.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.