RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Shot gun Lee Mould Buck shot loads

Boolit Master

Shot gun Lee Mould Buck shot loads

So I just bought a lee 00 buck shot gun mould

Wondering what Will happen if I use the same lead I cast all my rifle and pistol bullets out of

will the harder lead have any effect, on my barrel / pressure of reloads ?

or should I clean out my pot and cast a bunch of soft lead round balls

I did spend about 20 min casting some ( to test the mould) and noticed I had to use side cutter to cut the balls apart, where I think softer lead i should be able to just use my hands

Thanks

I have the same mold but have never used it yet.
    I was wondering the same thing, I cast with wheel weights.
    Not a shotgun guy but since I just bought a new CZ-USA Hammer Classic I may become one.

Boolit Master

I use coww for buckshot. Seems to do great. Slugs I tend to cast soft.

Boolit Buddy
    You don't want soft lead for buckshot or the pellets will deform and not pattern as well. Even the cheapest birdshot is BHN 10 and magnum shot is higher. My guess is buckshot would be even harder. It shouldn't hurt your barrel since even the hardest lead would still be a lot softer than steel shot.

I have that mold and casted with it some. It is a little work cutting all of the balls apart and even if you are careful you end up with a sprue on both ends. I tumbled mine for a while till the sprue was mostly gone. It was also some work reloading them and trying to get the balls to fit. You might have to try a few different wads.

Nice to know, thanks.

Boolit Master
    I have several Lee Buckshot molds.
    I cast the buckshot out of wheel weight lead or range lead just to be cheap.
    But I have cast a few out of linotype. But it doesn’t need to be that hard of lead .
    I have also cast a few sizes out of Pure Lead so I can shoot them in muzzleloader small caliber guns.
    I also take the cast buckshot and put it in my rolling mill to tumble them for a while and makes them perfectly round by removing the sprue marks or any surface defects.
    But you don’t have to do that for average buckshot shooting .

Boolit Master
    Buckshot-hard, Slugs-soft! Clip on Wheel weights or even Lyman #2 (if ya want ya waist it Lol) is fine for buckshot. BPI, Precision, even Hornaday all sell hard buckshot. Slugs, on the other hand, can be pure lead. If you get a Lee slug mold the instructions tell you to use soft lead. The reason for this is soft buckshot can deform rattling down the bore. Theoretically if to soft, and the buckshot deform to much bridging and even a bore obstruction can occur. That could leave you with the old Bug’s Bunny/Elmer Fudd barrel! If ya know what I mean! While some, not all, slugs require soft lead to seal the barrel. Similar to the way a minie’ ball dose’s. Sabot slugs are kinda different. Hope this clears things up a little for ya.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    So I just bought a lee 00 buck shot gun mould

Wondering what Will happen if I use the same lead I cast all my rifle and pistol bullets out of

will the harder lead have any effect, on my barrel / pressure of reloads ?

or should I clean out my pot and cast a bunch of soft lead round balls

I did spend about 20 min casting some ( to test the mould) and noticed I had to use side cutter to cut the balls apart, where I think softer lead i should be able to just use my hands

Thanks
    I’ve started figuring out this buckshot loading. Assuming you are using 00 in a 12 gauge, it will fit in a lot of wads. (The red Winchester replacement is popular) So it would be in a shot cup for the most part and still not contact your barrel.

000 won’t fit into a shot cup and will contact your barrel. I use whatever is in the lead pot to make it and have not noticed anything unusual happening in the barrel.

One that surprised me was #4 buckshot. Even though it’s small pellets, it is not loaded into a shot cup. It fits in layers of seven pellets. BUT the top center pellet is left out, so the crimp folds and closes nicely! That’s why a 2-3/4 inch load is 27 pellets instead of 28!
    Last edited by Barry54; 03-17-2024 at 02:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried dropping the very fresh castings onto a soft surface while almost mushy? As long as you do not drop them on other castings, it might just break the balls apart on impact. Height would need to be considered as too much will deform the balls. Might cut down on the time spent cutting the nubs.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5232A6A3-BDB5-4135-ACDA-AB41E4E3B861.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	324671

I bought these years ago for work. They easily cut the strings of buckshot apart! I have the Lee 000 six cavity and there is no sprue I’m aware of.
    Maybe I should get out a magnifying glass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Has anyone tried dropping the very fresh castings onto a soft surface while almost mushy? As long as you do not drop them on other castings, it might just break the balls apart on impact. Height would need to be considered as too much will deform the balls. Might cut down on the time spent cutting the nubs.
    I kinda tried that today, turned up the pot to get better fill then was cast in fast and not even waiting got the sprune to get 100% solid ( sprune would crack when dropped on the other sprunes all ready cut off)
    maybe 15% would separate

Handles were getting very hot

Made about 6 lb est after culling the bad ones with low fill

Culled anthing that did not look round and all the ones that had shaft between the balls ( balls should be round touching round = no shaft in the middle)
    Had some where one ball was not filled 100% = discard all 3

Found the best way to split them is to twist them with two pairs of pliers ( only need a bit of a squeze/ twist)

Not going to be making lots but prob made enought today to cover 1/2 the cost of the mould ( with todays buckshot prices)
    most will sit in a container till I need to load them

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Buckshot-hard, Slugs-soft! Clip on Wheel weights or even Lyman #2 (if ya want ya waist it Lol) is fine for buckshot. BPI, Precision, even Hornaday all sell hard buckshot. Slugs, on the other hand, can be pure lead. If you get a Lee slug mold the instructions tell you to use soft lead. The reason for this is soft buckshot can deform rattling down the bore. Theoretically if to soft, and the buckshot deform to much bridging and even a bore obstruction can occur. That could leave you with the old Bug’s Bunny/Elmer Fudd barrel! If ya know what I mean! While some, not all, slugs require soft lead to seal the barrel. Similar to the way a minie’ ball dose’s. Sabot slugs are kinda different. Hope this clears things up a little for ya.
    I'm not clear as to why you say Lyman #2 is a waste. Could you please explain? Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I use coww for buckshot. Seems to do great. Slugs I tend to cast soft.
    I'm assuming that the "ww" in "coww" stands for wheel weights but what does the "co" stand for? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    COWW= clip on wheel weights
    SOWW=stick on wheel weights