Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timer for case cleaner

Boolit Master

Timer for case cleaner

I got the Dillon tumbler back from having the motor upgraded, though I am not sure if it was an up grade. The guy that I talked to told me the new motors get hot and I told the guy that I used to let it run 6 to 8 hours all the time and sometimes I would forget it and it would run all night. He said he would not let his run for more than 4 hours. I though that I would look into a timer for a safety devise, that I could let it run 4 hours and be off for 2 then start up again and cycle like that for several cycles. I looked at timers on Amazon and only saw timers that were set up to come on at a specific time of day and them shut off. Could they be set up to do 4 on then 2 or 3 off over and over till i shut the tumbler off? Sending this to Arizona and paying for it to be fixed and shipped back is not something I ever want to do again. I want to be careful with it and any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Try this on for size:

https://www.target.com/p/ge-indoor-m...t&adgroup=85-7

Set the tabs for the amount of run time you desire. I use something similar for running the charge system for my R/C radios, so that the batteries are topped-up when I need them, but don't sit on the charger constantly.

I had not considered the idea of using a timer switch on my tumbler: thanks for giving me the idea!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Harbor Freight last time I checked had several different timers that seemed reasonably priced.

Boolit Buddy
    This sounds like a good idea. I found this mechanical one on amazon. They have some fancier push button ones too:

https://a.co/d/0Bp4tLY

Boolit Buddy
    nseries,

That’s the other one I saw. Glad to hear it works well.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I like the mechanical timers. I have had power surges knock a digital timer's display out.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    I made my own case cleaner shutoff. I bought a standard metal utility box, a 1 hr bathroom windup timer, a piece of electrical cord, two romex connectors, and a male and female plug. Works great. Give the timer a twist, to start, and the time counts down to shutoff. Cost was about $20.

Boolit Master
    Do you own a cell phone? Every one I've owned in the past 20 years have had a timer built in.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    go to ebay and do a search as count down timer , the one I picked up is a dial face and will count down up to 12 hrs

Kids/grandkids.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I use a lamp timer like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...xoCtlYQAvD_BwE

If the power goes out, it stops and starts again to finish the cycle as long as I get back to it the next day and it starts again.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240303_100302.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	325949

Boolit Master

I have the FA tumbler that has a three hour max mechanical timer. I usually tumble in the late evening (around midnight). It’s noisy so I set it up outdoors.
    I’d like to be able to load the tumbler up, run it for 15 minutes to mix the CA and cleaning agents up and then have it start running at midnight. Can’t because the mechanical timer keeps counting down the run time regardless of whether the electricity is switched on or off. So I load it up and start it at midnight, letting it run the full three hours while I’m sleeping. The next morning I run it another hour while drinking coffee, taking dogs out etc, before I rinse, sun dry and lube the brass.
    A outlet timer would work great for me but I’d have to bypass the mechanical timer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Try this on for size:

https://www.target.com/p/ge-indoor-m...t&adgroup=85-7

Set the tabs for the amount of run time you desire. I use something similar for running the charge system for my R/C radios, so that the batteries are topped-up when I need them, but don't sit on the charger constantly.

I had not considered the idea of using a timer switch on my tumbler: thanks for giving me the idea!
    +1 for KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid). Bought one of these 12-15 years ago. so far, it's outlasted one Franklin Arsenal tumbler and is working on a second.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

I built a cord for our outside Christmas lights using a mechanical clock by Tork. You can change or add the hands that trip the switch that turn things on and off and although kind of expensive they last very well and will easily handle the amp load of a tumbler. The clock itself, a few on and off trippers (often called dogs) a couple of romex clamps and an extension cord cut in to would serve you forever.

Boolit Buddy
    If you use one with “ dogs” you can just put an off dog in it and set the timer for the amount of hours before the off dog. Then once it trips off it won’t come in again until you manually trip it back on

Like this one:

https://a.co/d/4MgUaGi

Boolit Master
    You could put 2 of the timers in a row. Set the first one for the total desired time, the second to shut off and "rest" for the desired time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

https://uniquetek.com/shop/ols/produ...-cleaner-timer

i had a buddy back in the late 80's that loaded on 3 Dillon 1050's.. ran two large dillion tumblers on one of these for years... it $30.00 but will do all you are asking foe and more...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast