Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 218 Bee

218 Bee

I'm not new here , just don't spend much time here- however.
    I've recently turned up a 92 with a model 65 barrel installed. It was previously D&T for a side mount and restocked with a high comb Monte Carlo.
    Anyhow a side mount is on the way and I'm looking for 218 bee cast boolit ideas.
    RimRock bullets has a nice looking 46gr gcfp listed.
    Anyone here shooting cast in a Bee?

Boolit Buddy
    NOE has a few good moulds for the bee I use a 62 gr FN with red dot and a 24 in Encore and a 16 in contender both shoot good.

Boolit Master
    I do cast for it, I believe my mold is a NOE 45 grain. Accuracy is very good, but I don't use cast in it as it's not gas checked and I use the rifle primarily for ground squirrels and such for which I like a little higher velocity.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I use this 55 gr Lee sized .225” with Sages aluminum gas checks. Presently I’m using Red Dot and getting good accuracy from my H&R Topper/ Tikka single shot. They would be good in your lever action with the flat nose.
    I also like the 4O gr Zmax at full speed, too.
    I really like the Bee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a Ruger #1 in bee, it really likes 4227 and 40gr VMax .
    This 92 will most likely get a steady diet of cast. That Rimrock 46 gr seems perfect to me, thanks guys!

Boolit Master
    I use Lyman 225438 in my model 43 Win. COW+ about 1% additional tin, Felix lube and 4227 powder at around 1900fps works the best. Excellent accuracy, I even hollowpoint them for groundhog hunting. I also use the Lee Bator that Texas showed in his post. The only difference is, I reamed out the gas check shank to make it a plain base. I used it to hunt squirrels back when you could still use centerfires on them in Pa. Either 2400 or AA #2 at around 1450fps shot best with that bullet.

Boolit Master
    My Bee is on a TC Encore frame with a 21 inch MGM barrel.My number one load for it is a NOE 45 grain WFN gas check cast out of what ever lead I have in the pot at the time. IMR 4198 powder and a small pistol primer get the job done.

So far over 40 head of yard varmints have fallen to this load.

Boolit Master

Do you suppose that one will work well (not having a crimp groove) in a lever gun without the bullet setting back into the case in a tubular magazine win 1892
    Last edited by square butte; 03-17-2024 at 05:09 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

For the lever action - 218 Bee - boolit mould ... consider a flat point , a crimp groove and a gas check ...
    I would want all 3 in this situation . Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 , has data for 46 and 55 grain boolits . The Lee mould will get you by ... but the NOE WFN mould's are sure sweet caster's ... and good looking !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Yep That's my point - I think the Rimrock bullet the OP mentions is the NOE Wide Flat with no crimp groove - He's got an 1892 win with a model 65 barrel - Risk of bullet push back into the case in a tubular mag
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Be certain of the twist rate in that barrel.
    USMC 6638

Crimp groove- good point! Thank you for that.

Was just making up a few dummies to function test, from mag to lifter to chamber works fine until the last 1/2" of bolt travel. Ok, I should have trimmed the case. Now the last 1/8" and hard closing. Hmm, take a couple thousandths off and still kinda tight but it closed. Huh, it should slide right into and close with a full length sized case.
    I took out my stash of Remington bee ammo and pull the bullet, deprime and reseat the bullet and bingo ! Upon further inspection the Remington shoulder is shallower than the other cases I was using. Could it be a Mashburn chamber? No any case should feed into an improved chamber. I'm still waiting on a couple parts before I can shoot it.
    Of course the Remington case neck split they are so old!

Boolit Master

I'm using an MP hornet mold with a gas check.. No tube mag on my gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyMack View Post
    I also have a Ruger #1 in bee, it really likes 4227 and 40gr VMax .
    This 92 will most likely get a steady diet of cast. That Rimrock 46 gr seems perfect to me, thanks guys!
    So you are one of the other guys with a 218 Bee Number 1! I had seen that chambering in the catalogs for a number of years but kept putting off buying one. Then when Ruger announced cancelation at the end of whatever year it was, I ordered it right away. I've not shot it a lot but have zero regrets with the purchase. Such a classic style rifle with a classic cartridge.

Boolit Master
    How hard is it to cast for a .22 cal rifle?

Boolit Master
    I was surprised how fast I got good looking bullets in 22 caliber. I tried the Lee 22 Bator bullet and added some Tin to my alloy - but not more than 1 or 2% at most - and got nice filled-out bullets. But that's where it stopped. I've got a 22 Hornet and 218 Bee and haven't loaded a single round with cast in either. Honestly, I can't get excited to turn my 22 centerfires into a 22 rimfire and that's what you are doing with cast for the most part. I know the slightly heavier cast bullet with a flat nose will kill better but it's still got the same trajectory. For some odd reason I have no problem with creating a 32-20 load with the same 22LR velocity and shooting bunches of them. It's a matter of personal preference as with most things.

Boolit Master
    I use a LEE Factory Crimp Die(FCD) for my Marlin 1894. With the Lee FCD you can crimp a cast bullet where you want, no need for a crimp groove. I have used the Lyman 225415 for boolits in the 218.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyMack View Post
    Crimp groove- good point! Thank you for that.

Was just making up a few dummies to function test, from mag to lifter to chamber works fine until the last 1/2" of bolt travel. Ok, I should have trimmed the case. Now the last 1/8" and hard closing. Hmm, take a couple thousandths off and still kinda tight but it closed. Huh, it should slide right into and close with a full length sized case.
    I took out my stash of Remington bee ammo and pull the bullet, deprime and reseat the bullet and bingo ! Upon further inspection the Remington shoulder is shallower than the other cases I was using. Could it be a Mashburn chamber? No any case should feed into an improved chamber. I'm still waiting on a couple parts before I can shoot it.
    Of course the Remington case neck split they are so old!
    Have you cast this chamber? Maybe try loading with a light charge of pistol powder and cream of wheat with a toilet paper "bullet". I'm betting that your 92 chamber is different than you may be used to.
    I recall buying an 1885 from a high school classmate because his rifle would split cases with 218 factory ammunition - it was an Ackley improved and still shoots quite well!

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Have you cast this chamber? Maybe try loading with a light charge of pistol powder and cream of wheat with a toilet paper "bullet". I'm betting that your 92 chamber is different than you may be used to.
    I recall buying an 1885 from a high school classmate because his rifle would split cases with 218 factory ammunition - it was an Ackley improved and still shoots quite well!

That thought has crossed my mind! This rifle came from AZ ( if the guy I got it from remembers right)
    I made up some dummies, Winchester brass doesn't chamber easily but Remington does. Remington has .002" thinner rim.
    So screwed in my collet bullet puller and pulled a bullet - neck split! Tried my kinetic puller and some pull, others don't move! Id really like to pull these and anneal the necks but I'm afraid I'll have to shoot these up to be able to anneal. Wonder how many will split when fired.

Try using your seater die to set the bullets in a little bit and break the bond that is holding the bullets in.

Then try the kinetic bullet puller.

And try using the correct shell holder in place of that silly aluminum collet. You'll probably pull bullets faster with less blue air swirling around.

Those aluminum collets were designed to get people out of reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast