Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: RCBS Manual Case Trimmer Converted to Power Cutter (Cordless Drill)

RCBS Manual Case Trimmer Converted to Power Cutter (Cordless Drill)

Years ago, in the 20th century, I picked up a RCBS Manual Brass trimmer at a gunshow for $5. Somebody was cleaning house and on impulse I purchased it. I used it a few times, but quickly tired of it for a few reasons, primaily because I am left handed, and I never could find a cranking position (left or right) that felt natural to me. So it sat on a shelf for a few years until I came across an article online showing this conversion. By modifying the crank with a cordless drill with a rubber tube coupling, it turned a useless (to me) brass cutter to a more efficient easy tool to use. I trim brass about once every 5 years, maybe less, maybe more. So this contraption normally sits on a shelf until needed. And the cordless drill mod makes it super efficient and easy for me to use. All you need to do is remove the Black plastic RCBS knob and leave it off. I just screwed mine to the 2x4 wood base where its been sitting since the mod. Slide a rubber hose over the shaft and clamp the hose in place with hose clamps. Add a bit driver to the other end of the hose for the cordless drill and you are in business.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brasstrimmerSM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	324583

Larger Pic: https://www.hensleygibbs.com/TCD/MOL...asstrimmer.jpg
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Grand Master

The rubber hose acts as a u joint keeping the weight of the drill from wearing the bushing. I have one mounted on an angle plate that I use in a bench top drill press. Its handy and works well. Mounted in the drill press gives a nice feed option with the spindle.

I made a very similar set up quite a while back, the only difference is I used a longer board to mount the trimmer on and made a “v” shaped cradle to hold the drill parallel with the arbor of the trimmer. I used a 6” flexible impact extension that is mated to the trimmer and can be removed from the drill without a tool. It greatly speeds up the trim process.