Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: reducing mould ball size?

Boolit Master

reducing mould ball size?

im talking to guy who has a 69 cal round ball mould that drops at .6905 with boat keel lead. I need it to drop about 687 max.What type of lead could possibly get me there?I have range lead and ww and pure lead.

Boolit Master

Pure lead will cast the smallest, but I don't think it'll get you to .687".
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Depending on the composition of the boat keel, you should be able to cast a little smaller with pure. Also, I believe that casting hotter will allow the cast to end up smaller due to shrinkage( I may have that backward). I would try pure amd play around with temp, casting very hot and just above slush to see what works.

Also, some have sprayed the mold cavities with a mold release such as Frankford arsenal drop out or whatever it is called. The mold release or a spray graphite will added a layer to the cavities and cast a smaller ball.

Boolit Buddy
    Just tell him to use a thicker patch......if he would bring a micrometer to a fabric shop or a thrift store he could find a lifetime supply.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Depending on the composition of the boat keel, you should be able to cast a little smaller with pure. Also, I believe that casting hotter will allow the cast to end up smaller due to shrinkage( I may have that backward). I would try pure amd play around with temp, casting very hot and just above slush to see what works.

Also, some have sprayed the mold cavities with a mold release such as Frankford arsenal drop out or whatever it is called. The mold release or a spray graphite will added a layer to the cavities and cast a smaller ball.
    All this is true with pure lead. You might try a rotary tumbler after they are cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Just tell him to use a thicker patch......if he would bring a micrometer to a fabric shop or a thrift store he could find a lifetime supply.
    Thinner not thicker patch would do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Thinner not thicker patch would do.
    not using a patch