RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 10mm auto multi purpose design

Boolit Buddy

10mm auto multi purpose design

I am looking for a 180gr 10mm mold that will serve as a multi purpose boolit. I want something that will reliably feed in a 1911 platform for both target and defensive use on 4 legged critters (upto black bear, but honestly not too worried about them) as well as be adequate for taking 200lb whitetail inside of 50 yards. Of course, I am willing to adjust my alloy accordingly to my needs.

My plan is to use this firearm as my primary woods carry while bowhunting, rifle hunting, walking trails, etc over my .44mag. My .44 mag will keep its place as my primary firearm when I'm specifically hunting with a handgun.

Would y'all be kind enough to state your preferred mold design that meets these requirements? I know there is no perfect design for all applications, I'm just looking for some solid options that have been proven to work. My biggest worry is to buy a mold that will not feed reliably, but I know if the meplat is too small your terminal performance will suffer.

Interested in learning more about this topic myself.

I use Lee 401-175-TC. I use it on hogs in a carbine platform and the G20. Killed out to 120 yards with carbine at 1600 fps. Not sure in 1911, but works fine in the carbine chamber.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    I use Lee 401-175-TC. I use it on hogs in a carbine platform and the G20. Killed out to 120 yards with carbine at 1600 fps. Not sure in 1911, but works fine in the carbine chamber.
    Yep, this design just plain works. It's a near copy of the 38-40 bullet LY 401043.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I never have gotten around to casting for my 10mm, but have come to prefer the LFN style for .45, 9mm, .380, etc... The common thread with these bullets is that they are basically a round nose profile with a flat point, and the meplat is about 70% / 0.7 of the full bullet diameter. These feed wonderfully in guns both old and new, while delivering a pretty mighty smack on impact. The trick is to get a profile that has the ogive, rather than the meplat edge striking the feed ramp, and also the top of the chamber at the start of nosing down.

The .40 equivalent of those would be the Accurate Molds 40-180A and its .285" meplat. The NOE 403-181-WFN takes the meplat up to .30 / 75% and would be about as big as I'd be inclined to attempt in an auto. To avoid hanging up on a short throat, I would start by seating them to where the front of your shank is flush with the case mouth and check function.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Be sure and get a die set with a M die expander…….Tight chambers will hang if the brass it too large where the boolit is parked.

I use the Saeco 045 to load 10mm, very accurate, only drops about 172gr with my alloy though! The 048 has a similar design, but at 200gr.