Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Deep seated RCBS 452-270-SAA

Boolit Buddy

Deep seated RCBS 452-270-SAA

I'd like to try some in my Henry Steel .45 colt rifle. These boolits seated in the crimp groove are too long to cycle. If I seat them about .030 over the front driving band and crimp with the Lee Collet crimp die, they cycle great. I'm pretty sure I'll have no problems starting with 7 gr. Unique. Has anyone else loaded these up a little shorter for a levergun. Your thoughts please?
    I made 5 dummy rnds and they cycle smooth as butter.
    Lymans 4th has this load listed as Max for revolver at 13,600 P.S.I. but doesn't have this boolit listed in the rifle loads section. Probably because of the COAL I'm guessing.

Boolit Master
    Did you check the length of the free bore in your throat? FYI: Coarse diameter can make a difference, but the length of my throat is almost .300 from the front of the case to the rifling taper at bore diameter. If yours is similar, then seating deeper will increase this jump distance. It’ll go bang and still come out the front, but results “may” be discouraging if you are not prepared as to why. If you aren’t happy, measure the inside of a fired case “in that rifle” and go as big as allowed for the best possible alignment.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I'd like to try some in my Henry Steel .45 colt rifle. These boolits seated in the crimp groove are too long to cycle. If I seat them about .030 over the front driving band and crimp with the Lee Collet crimp die, they cycle great. I'm pretty sure I'll have no problems starting with 7 gr. Unique. Has anyone else loaded these up a little shorter for a levergun. Your thoughts please?
    I made 5 dummy rnds and they cycle smooth as butter.
    Lymans 4th has this load listed as Max for revolver at 13,600 P.S.I. but doesn't have this boolit listed in the rifle loads section. Probably because of the COAL I'm guessing.
    The .45 Colt Rossi 92s handle 10 grains of Unique with the 270-SAA bullet seated to the crimp groove without breaking a sweat. The receiver of your steel framed Henry should be similar in stength to the Rossi.

I would expect your lower pressure load of 7 grains with the bullet seated deeper to do perfectly fine in your Henry.

Boolit Bub
    You might also try shortening your casas so that you can seat to the crimping groove. (Brian Pearce recommended this for loading 357 Magnum cases with 357429 bullets in shorter cylinders.)