RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tick Control Via Ivermectin Coated Deer Corn

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Robert, the clothes from Insect Shield are treated with the same chemical but they are rated for 70 washings or 10 years.

My whole forearm swelled up and I was lucky it did not get worse. Antibiotics seemed to have beat it down but I know it can take years for the effects to surface. Mine was from a deer tick.
    I looked at their clothing on Amazon last night. They claim to have a version of Permetherin that lasts longer on clothes. If the claim is true it is a good deal for what you get. They do sell a permetherin spray rated for 60days of effectiveness as well. I have bought a different brand at Walmart in a yellow spray bottle.
    Attachment 324451
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    The second picture in your post, is that also an ear? Is that hundreds of tick bites, how does animal handle that without treatment? We have deer ticks and the larger wood ticks but seem to have more wood ticks.

What type of tick does that sort of damage?
    Yes, the pic is labeled "heavily infested" and those are ticks on top of ticks.

Here in AR if you step off the pavement with the temps >45F you are likely to get ticks on you. I had never seen anything quite like it having lived in TX, AZ, and SC. It is really bad here. My initiation here was looking for a couple of arrows in the woods when my BIL and I were shooting his compound bow. Got hundreds of seed ticks on us.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 03-15-2024 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Had a friend that worked on heavy equipment, was working on a bulldozer in East Arkansas while parked under a tree, told me the ticks were literally raining down on him from the tree. Cool wet spring weather is usually an indicator of lot of ticks. Ivermectin is used to treat humans for worms.

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Had a friend that worked on heavy equipment, was working on a bulldozer in East Arkansas while parked under a tree, told me the ticks were literally raining down on him from the tree. Cool wet spring weather is usually an indicator of lot of ticks. Ivermectin is used to treat humans for worms.
    I haven't had a tick come out of a tree yet. I have had them crawl all the way up my clothes and over my collar or in my sleeve. If they are stuck they are usually down low, especially where you really don't want them. Sometimes in your armpit.

I was walking past my trashcans one day and saw one on the top of it standing on its hind legs reaching out with its front legs. It was waiting to hitch a ride
    Last edited by steve urquell; 03-15-2024 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was growing up in Ontario Canada we never had ticks. Or if we did, we did not know it. I would spend hours in the woods and the worst things were mosquitos.

What the heck happened?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

With all this ballyhoo one would hardly know what to use or do! I think I'll just pick the ticks off!

Boolit Buddy
    Poppy42 is correct. Collies and a couple other breeds are sensitive to it. Check the label on Heartguard and the price. I eventually got fed up paying the price for heartworm meds for three dogs at the vets and some still got the worms. I told the wife how did dogs live for thousands of years without meds from the vet. Vets make it sound like your dog is doomed without their meds. I started researching on the web and found out about ivermectin and how to dose it. There is also a method of curing heartworms called the slow kill method. It primarily uses ivermectin and doxycline. takes about a year to a year and a half to work but is much easier on your dog. Cost is not a lot cheaper in the long run but much easier on the owner and the dog. I asked my vet about it and she was totally supportive about using that method. Surprised the heck out of me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    You sir are about 1,000 wrong! The dose is .1 ml per 10 lb of weight! If your dog weighs 100 lb 1 ml (or cc). And you can most definitely use a standard syringe.The one breed of dogs that is ivermectin sensitive is collie’s! It is perfectly safe for non collie breeds! Ask any vet! It is the main ingredient in heart worm preventative. As a mater of fact it is a less invasive treatment for heart worm than the treatment some vets push on people! Furthermore the only difference between livestock and human grade is the livestock grade hasn’t been certified by food and drug admin., it comes from the same place! About the only thing you are correct on is that it is typically injectable given orally.
    Be careful and you should consider talking to your vet about the dose you are giving. I am glad this dose didn't hurt your dog but you are giving over 33x the amount of ivermectin that is in a heartguard tablet. The standard dose for humans, pigs, horses and other livestock is 200 micrograms / kilogram. That works out to a dose of 0.9 ml of the 1% injectable per 100 pounds. This is the standard dose humans take.

But, as I mentioned, dogs are much more sensative and according to the heartguard product insert the dose for dogs is 6 micrograms / kilogram. That means a 100 pound dog should only get 0.027 ml. My dog was about 45 pounds so I would need 12 microliters which is a small amount that you need a specialty microliter syringe if you want to give the recommended dose.

https://heartgard.com/sites/default/...Plus_PI_BI.pdf

Boolit Master

Wow..huge difference!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Be careful and you should consider talking to your vet about the dose you are giving. I am glad this dose didn't hurt your dog but you are giving over 33x the amount of ivermectin that is in a heartguard tablet. The standard dose for humans, pigs, horses and other livestock is 200 micrograms / kilogram. That works out to a dose of 0.9 ml of the 1% injectable per 100 pounds. This is the standard dose humans take.

But, as I mentioned, dogs are much more sensative and according to the heartguard product insert the dose for dogs is 6 micrograms / kilogram. That means a 100 pound dog should only get 0.027 ml. My dog was about 45 pounds so I would need 12 microliters which is a small amount that you need a specialty microliter syringe if you want to give the recommended dose.

https://heartgard.com/sites/default/...Plus_PI_BI.pdf
    I don’t need to talk to a vet.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I don’t need to talk to a vet.
    If the dose you give doesn't cause any problems you should be OK. My point in my original post was there could be some risk and others should know about this and decide for themselves if it is worth it. I did reread the package insert and at the end they talked about the toxicity and said sensitive breeds should be OK at 10x the dose but it starts at 16x the dose so you can probably give more. But I do have concerns about the general statement that you can give any dog over 33x the recommended dose of ivermectin and they will all be fine.

Boolit Master

I took 3 mg ivermectin 64 days in 2021 per MD and never got the dreaded disease or ticks either for that matter. As for ticks if you can stand the racket a flock of guineas will get them all within their range. Guinea and dumplings is good eating too.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    You know I wasn’t going to elaborate I was just gonna leave it alone but sometimes you have to educate people against misinformation. As you so quite nicely have transcribed the label from heart guard medicine. I just wanna ask you two questions do you know the strength of the ivermectin that they’re referring to? Do you know the strength or the percentage of ivermectin that’s in ivermectin injectable? 25 years! That’s how long I’ve worked with rescue organizations. Dozens of vets! Roughly 40 years worth of treating dogs as a preventative and ones that were infected with heartworm. Please stop you’re holier than thou that you can read the label and transcribe it and think that you know everything because you don’t. I’m sure your intentions are good. It’s something that we’re all guilty of sometimes not looking past the end of our noses! Have a nice day have a nice life I’m done you can comment on what I wrote or not I won’t respond!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I took 3 mg ivermectin 64 days in 2021 per MD and never got the dreaded disease or ticks either for that matter. As for ticks if you can stand the racket a flock of guineas will get them all within their range. Guinea and dumplings is good eating too.
    Yes ivermectin has been issued as an antiviral anti-parasitic agent in third world countries because it is a safe, effective, and inexpensive treatment of many diseases that affect certain areas of the world. Unfortunately in this country it’s got the stigma of being a animal warmer. That and the fact that the pharmaceutical companies don’t make buckets of money when physicians prescribe it. I certainly have no idea what dreaded disease you are referring to, naming said disease is not necessary it doesn’t matter what it was. I am certainly no physician myself but I do commend yours for being open minded enough to re-search alternative treatments for whatever it was that was ailing you. I know for a fact that there are several medication‘s that have application both any animal world and has treatments for humans. Unfortunately as I stated above those treatments are generally considerably less expensive. Typically big Pharma would much rather use some new and improved treatment that they can make tons of money off of. Folks should probably be more informed as to what’s being prescribed to them, possible side effects, and whether or not there’s a less expensive form of treatment before acceptance of some thing a doctor tells you just because he’s a doctor. They put their pants on just like everyone else one leg at a time and I know I always do research before excepting what they tell me as being the gospel. Actually I’ve had a physician, with a wink and a nod, tell me hey I can write you a prescription for a minor Affliction but if you go down to the local feed store and pick this up it’s the same thing and it’s a heck of a lot cheaper. Of course never for a life-threatening severe situation. Unfortunately it seems that the Hippocratic oath doesn’t have the same meaning as it once did. Anyway take care glad you’re doing well. Oh yea I don’t work for some company that makes ivermectin I’ve just had some experience with it. Lol

Boolit Master
    Controlled burning reduces tick numbers as well. What about the sacks of pesticide powder i see hanging under cattle feeders, in barns, etc? I would think that would be effective as well from a trough feeder?
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I read on the internet years ago after I got the RMSF, it takes about three hours for the tick to transmit the disease to a human. Which made sense to me because I felt the little bugger bite me behind my knee sitting watching tv. Three hours later when I went to bed, surprise there was a tick.

Next morning a knot the size of a small pecan or marble, so I called the Dr. Between the wild kittens at the farm, the tick and the vampires at the doctor's office, I didn't have a lot of blood left. Two days later a phone call that I did not have Lyme disease, then a day after that a phone call that I did have RMSF.

Since then I pull any ticks or at least inspect suspected tick bites asap. No idea how long it takes to transfer Lyme disease.

steve, I also use the yellow bottled permathrin from Walmart or Academy, whichever has it when I need a new can or bottle.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Going down to the local feed store and picking up meds is not so easy anymore. Last week I was in need of some LA200 antibiotic to doctor an ailing calf. I was told that new regulations required a prescription from a vet to purchase. The nice girl running the cash register told me that her uncle was going into Mexico to get such meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    From what I read on the internet years ago after I got the RMSF, it takes about three hours for the tick to transmit the disease to a human. Which made sense to me because I felt the little bugger bite me behind my knee sitting watching tv. Three hours later when I went to bed, surprise there was a tick.

Next morning a knot the size of a small pecan or marble, so I called the Dr. Between the wild kittens at the farm, the tick and the vampires at the doctor's office, I didn't have a lot of blood left. Two days later a phone call that I did not have Lyme disease, then a day after that a phone call that I did have RMSF.

Since then I pull any ticks or at least inspect suspected tick bites asap. No idea how long it takes to transfer Lyme disease.

steve, I also use the yellow bottled permathrin from Walmart or Academy, whichever has it when I need a new can or bottle.

Robert
    Smart move on checking the bite site early and frequently. Any time I pull one off of me I bag it in a ziplock snack baggie and sharpie the date on it, where it was removed from and stick it on the back of the fridge with a magnet. If the bite goes south you have the tick which can be tested for disease.

I think the yellow bottle Permetherin clothing spray is in the camping section with the rest of the OFF products.

The military issued a small o.d. green with black writing bottle of chemicals that was to be applied to pants legs and lasting several washings along with a fold , tuck and tape inside the boots hardly ever had a tick on many field training exercises of course I suspect the military does not know or care who the FDA is !
    BTW the VA recently raised my disability rating due to cancer..........
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    From what I recall, most tick borne diseases are transmitted from ticks infecting mice.

But if this idea worked, feeding deer in MI is illegal due to TB and CWD. I suspect that applies to other states with deer disease issues. Our DNR enforces it too.

I got Lyme disease last year. I wish there was something we could take. I invested a few hundred dollars in treated jeans and shirts from Insect Shield. Never had a tick after wearing them.
    Can you legally feed corn to squirrels?
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast