Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Glock mags

Boolit Master

Glock mags

I have a Glock 17 1st gen that I've owned for close to 35 years. I shot it some at first but haven't had it out for a good while. I would be surprised that I have put 900-1000 rounds though the pistol. On both mags the plastic is cracked down the back. I defiantly wouldn't use them for anything serious. Is this something that normally happens to these plastic mags or did I get some duds?

Boolit Master

I don't know but they will replace them. Send them to GLOCK or if they have a GSSF match nearby you may be able to do it there.

Moderator Emeritus

I wanted some for a Ruger PC 9 last year. A stop at a gun show and a $75 purchase resulted in the seller throwing in 10, 10 rd mags. He had them for $5 a piece and has plenty of them.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I have a Glock 17 1st gen that I've owned for close to 35 years. I shot it some at first but haven't had it out for a good while. I would be surprised that I have put 900-1000 rounds though the pistol. On both mags the plastic is cracked down the back. I defiantly wouldn't use them for anything serious. Is this something that normally happens to these plastic mags or did I get some duds?
    As a long time Glock hater - I would love to say this is normal. But it's not. Gaston created a very usable and functional product for the general user - and his products are fantastic. As is their customer service. Call them and submit your issue.
    (BTW - this is like Kamala saying that Donald J did a great job)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Are they Glock mags or aftermarket?
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    Are they Glock mags or aftermarket?
    They are Glock mags, came with the pistol in 1989.

cwtebay, can't say I am a Glock fanatic, tend to agree with you. This one and Gen 2 that I have shot a good bit more have been 100% reliable. When things go sideways you can't ask for more than that. I consider them more of a tool than a toy.

ADMIN

The GEN 1 glock 17 mags had issues.
    The later model mags had a metal lining.
    They are called "non-drop free".
    Meaning you had to pull them out of the gun because they would swell up when loaded.

As mentioned above you can send the entire pistol back to glock with whatever mags you have and they will swap out the parts inside the pistol and swap out the mags.
    Typically they just swap out everything but the body of the mag itself.
    On the pistol they keep the frame itself, the slide itself, and the barrel. Everything else will get replaced.

Alternately, Glock mags are cheap.
    You can get a Magpul mag for $14, with the OEM mags costing around $25 each (gen 5 mags work in all Gen)

I just purchased a bunch of Magpul mags. They function fine. Keep the OEM ones that came with the gun.
    They most likely split like that if you had kept them loaded

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    On a 35 year old mag. . . ?

As mentioned, the earliest ones, they wouldn't drop free, or at least wouldn't drop free until empty. They'd swell a little when loaded, and my guess would be that yours were left loaded for a LONG time, which may have split the polymer at a weak point. The stiffer steel liners came later.

How do they run?

A new OEM mag will probably set you back 20-25 bucks, and a Mag Pul a little more than half that, and both are an improved product over what Gaston started with. In this world of $60+ steel mags that you're hesitant to drop on concrete, both options for your 17 are a cheap and practically indestructible upgrade.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    As several have said, the original Glock Magazines which you have were junk, if not right the instant you bought them, then as soon as you ran a few hundred rounds through and carried them for a month or two. They would swell, split, and on a 1988 $500 gun were unacceptable. However, when the Miami Police started buying them, they insisted on magazine improvements and Glock started manufacturing the drop-free Mags Bigslug and others have mentioned. They were offering free exchanges to anyone who had bought the older ones (the Austrian Army?) and that was still going on when Weasel Bill Clinton and his allies rammed through their magazine ban. There were some folks who had been slow on the mark who were fearful that their 17 rounders would be replaced by 10 round compliant magazines, and so kept the older ones. But my understanding is that Glock would replace like with like, so a 17 rounder would be replaced with a new, similar 17 round, drop-free mag, even during the dark days of the latter 90's.

I would inquire of Glock and see if they still have the exchange program and meanwhile, buy a mag or two. Most aftermarket Mags are pretty good and not much more than lunch at McDonalds.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Getting them replaced with an upgraded product at no cost is the way to go, but just as additional information CDNN has so many it boggles the mind. Many of them are listed as Asian military, and they seem to come in every caliber and capacity at low prices. Just FYI-- I haven't purchased any myself, but receive ads from them almost daily. I've got 3 Glocks, but they see little use.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Getting them replaced with an upgraded product at no cost is the way to go, but just as additional information CDNN has so many it boggles the mind. Many of them are listed as Asian military, and they seem to come in every caliber and capacity at low prices. Just FYI-- I haven't purchased any myself, but receive ads from them almost daily. I've got 3 Glocks, but they see little use.

DG
    Asian military are probably kci korean made mags. I have many of the 33rd kci mags for a pcc, but wouldn’t use them for anything I depend on like a handgun.

Dude..really… Glock mags are cheap. Stack them deep while you can still find them and they are legal to buy. “Times are a-changin’ “as my grandfather used to say.

Boolit Master
    I have already replaced them with Gen 5 mags an intend to buy a few more, not really concerned with the price or sending them back. They still work so I am going to use them in the backyard till they quit. I was curious why, the mags that came with a gen 2 purchased only a couple years later are fine and have seen much more use. The cracked mags have been loaded only when I was going to fire the pistol. It's just mostly a safe queen, probably carried less than a dozen times.

Thanks for the replies. Seems the early mags were junk. Out of the extras I have the Gen 1 are the only ones cracked. From what I see they have improved.

I've KCI, Promag, a couple of magpul, one STK from Armscor, and two oem that came with my wife's g17 v3 she bought about 9 years back from 17 to a few 33 rounders. I've had one unmarked 33 rd cheapie bust out its base plate 3 or 4 years ago while loaded full in the middle of the night. Other than that, zero issues with any.of them. They load and function the same. Go buy a couple and toss the busted ones in the trash. I'd be ashamed to asked glock to replace

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    As mentioned above you can send the entire pistol back to glock with whatever mags you have and they will swap out the parts inside the pistol and swap out the mags.
    Typically they just swap out everything but the body of the mag itself.
    On the pistol they keep the frame itself, the slide itself, and the barrel. Everything else will get replaced.
    Is this their warranty, or a tune-up you pay for?

Stop. The Gen 1 mags have value even with the crack down the back. Go buy new OEM mags and keep the cracked ones. They add value to your Glock. Or sell them for $50 each cracked, $75-150 not.

Yes, some pre-bans cracked if left loaded. The post ban ones are good to go even if loaded for 15 years. Well, mine lasted that long when I found them.

Now, if you have the Gen 1 bullet box tupperware the pistol came with, $500 easy.

Go here an learn:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/glo...tors-club.208/