Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nose ringed 7.62x39 FMJ for hog hunting

Banner Sponsor

Looked like lots of fun!
    I have some Russian hp ammo. I've never shot anything with it yet...

Boolit Master

I worked the gun shop scene from '92 to '05. At the start of that, we still had the Chinese stuff coming in, and with the '91 crash of the Soviet Union and its economy, the Russian surplus guns and ammo too. I think the cheapest I ever saw it was $90 for a thousand rounds, and $100-$125 was pretty much normal. Rest assured, a lot of folks stocked up heavy at those prices.

Considering that "hunting" and "pest control" are two very different things, I get where this guy is coming from. 7.62x39 ball will kill a 200# animal just fine (that's what it was designed for), but a quick kill not just for the camera, but to tell you it's OK to move on to the next one would be very helpful for the way they're playing the game.

Remember the scene in Lord of War where Nick Cage's arms-dealer character is imagining the "CHING!" of a cash register with every piece of brass flying out the ejection port? If you were to do upscale hog eradication with Barnes, Partitions, B-Tips, etc. . ., it would sound more like:

"KA-CHING!!!"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Interesting but dang that tool is expensive. Add $50 for the caliber specific cutter on to the cost below.
    Attachment 324448
    Yeh, for that kind of money you could buy a Harbor Freight lathe and use it for other stuff.
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Why is this a Cast Bullets topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I worked the gun shop scene from '92 to '05. At the start of that, we still had the Chinese stuff coming in, and with the '91 crash of the Soviet Union and its economy, the Russian surplus guns and ammo too. I think the cheapest I ever saw it was $90 for a thousand rounds, and $100-$125 was pretty much normal. Rest assured, a lot of folks stocked up heavy at those prices.

Considering that "hunting" and "pest control" are two very different things, I get where this guy is coming from. 7.62x39 ball will kill a 200# animal just fine (that's what it was designed for), but a quick kill not just for the camera, but to tell you it's OK to move on to the next one would be very helpful for the way they're playing the game.

Remember the scene in Lord of War where Nick Cage's arms-dealer character is imagining the "CHING!" of a cash register with every piece of brass flying out the ejection port? If you were to do upscale hog eradication with Barnes, Partitions, B-Tips, etc. . ., it would sound more like:

"KA-CHING!!!"
    Somone gets it. Wanna know how long it takes to nose ring a single bullet with a lathe vs this too. Because when you have a guy like this who shoot more rounds and kill more epiga in 5 min then most do in a year ...wellll
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

The unit was designed for match bullets. I wonder if the instructions include a warning sticking a jacket in the bore with core exposed base? As a kid I shot a lot of 30/06 Ball with the points cut off. Never had a separation but a classmate did.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I don’t know but I can put a small ring on my cast bullets with a seater die.

Always ended in the reject bin, but now I could’ve ruled the world if I actually tested them.
    Ha
    Have to figure out how I butchered them again now.

Boolit Buddy
    Same here......According to Tubbs all of those bullets we trashed were more accurate with a better BC than the bullets we kept!

When properly set the NOSERING® tool uniforms the bullets ballistic drag coefficients during
    both supersonic and subsonic flight.

The NOSERING® tool when used with a closed nose bullet (pointed tip) results in not only a more
    uniform shot to shot drag characteristics but can also yield higher BC numbers depending on the profile
    of the specific bullet. Other bullets shapes with a Meplat present will show a miniscule decrease in
    ballistic drag based on their design, but all will exhibit enhanced ballistic drag uniformity.

For a target shooter this means the shooter’s group(s) will become flatter since a specific lot # of
    bullets, which can be characterized as brothers and sisters from the same (box/lot) family, will with a
    NOSERING® become more like identical twins.

NOSERING® application can result in like kind bullets’ BC variations being reduced by 50% or
    more. This means that if a user’s 1000-yard 10 shot group loaded with out of the box bullets prior to
    cutting a NOSERING® was an 8” vertical group, after cutting a NOSERING® on the same box of bullets
    would yield a group approaching ½ the height.
    This accuracy improvement translates directly to shorter
    ranges. You can expect smaller 100-yard groups as shown by the Doppler as the bullets already exhibit
    better uniformity at 50 yards
    https://www.davidtubb.com/index.php?...download_id=51

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12