MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose ringed 7.62x39 FMJ for hog hunting

Nose ringed 7.62x39 FMJ for hog hunting

Pretty cool lil video. I've heard about the tubbs nose ring tool from some LR guys but never really seen much of it in use. This was a pretty cool study on it
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Well those tools are not cheap , but it seemed to do what he wanted , I was hoping to see more of the side by side buffalo style pig hunt .

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Thumbnail photo looks like the tool was severely overused.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Thumbnail photo looks like the tool was severely overused.
    He tested shallow and deep cut in the video.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I enjoyed the video. He slaughtered some sounders!

Interesting but dang that tool is expensive. Add $50 for the caliber specific cutter on to the cost below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nr.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	324448
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy
    You can buy a lot of quality hunting bullets with known / predictable expansion for $600! I would like to see more about this but for now I am not impressed. Bullets going thru big hogs and others tumbling or exploding with no exit wound in the smaller hogs? Sounds inconsistent. Good hunting bullets should expand but still stay together.

Decades ago I made a jig out of wood where you could put 5-6 22lr cartridges in then file the tip of the round nose off to make a flat nose. There was a huge improvement on small game. Others were doing the same with centerfire FMJ cartridges and filing the tip off. They also claimed they expanded well.

So now a rehash where you just score the tip? For $600? I think i will have to look for my jigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    You can buy a lot of quality hunting bullets with known / predictable expansion for $600! I would like to see more about this but for now I am not impressed. Bullets going thru big hogs and others tumbling or exploding with no exit wound in the smaller hogs? Sounds inconsistent. Good hunting bullets should expand but still stay together.

Decades ago I made a jig out of wood where you could put 5-6 22lr cartridges in then file the tip of the round nose off to make a flat nose. There was a huge improvement on small game. Others were doing the same with centerfire FMJ cartridges and filing the tip off. They also claimed they expanded well.

So now a rehash where you just score the tip? For $600? I think i will have to look for my jigs!
    Guy said he has literal cases of this ammo he bought back when it was super cheap. And they go though a few 100 a night. Would be silly to not try and find some kinda use for all that stuff. Not a traditional usage.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    I still think he should just sell the cases of FMJ and buy some proper soft point rounds. Depending on who made it he can get a good price for the older 7.62x39 FMJ then buy some real soft point rounds that would work better for hunting. There is not that much of a difference in price and he can get a lot of cases of suitable ammo before he hits $600.

The video was interesting though. But the bullet scorer is just not for me.

I think this can be done with a drill doctor 750x on the side port.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I found it interesting, but not anything I would invest in. -06

Boolit Master
    Looking at his other gear and knowing how much he has in most of it, it would be just another tool in his box. Akin to someone here just buying another mold. If it works for them and their needs, roll on.

If it helps em put pigs on the ground I'm all for it. You can't kill'em all, they are like fireants or cockroaches. Sure is fun tryin though.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

That’s neat but expensive!
    As broke farm teens we just ground the tips flat to expose lead on our 8x57 fmj bullets and went hunting!
    We didn’t have a hog problem back then but they worked on deer and coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    As broke farm teens we just ground the tips flat to expose lead on our 8x57 fmj bullets and went hunting!

That's what I would do if I had thousands of FMJ laying around - just grind off the tip and be done with it. I gave my son some modified GP11 for our 7.5 Swiss and he has shot quite a few hogs with that stuff - kills them dead as hell.

In reality, you can ventilate a hog with most any FMJ and they will go off somewhere to die. A .223 through the body will go septic and kill one within a day or two.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I still think he should just sell the cases of FMJ and buy some proper soft point rounds. Depending on who made it he can get a good price for the older 7.62x39 FMJ then buy some real soft point rounds that would work better for hunting. There is not that much of a difference in price and he can get a lot of cases of suitable ammo before he hits $600.

The video was interesting though. But the bullet scorer is just not for me.
    The images above in post 1 are of hollow point?? It's a small opening.. but AFAIK..it counts as HP not fmj.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

That occurred to me also. My grandfather told me that once in a while the lead core would blow out and leave the jacket in the barrel. Wouldn't that be exciting>
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Yeah maybe a few years back but now.... A few cases ...yeah no and this just the steel cases stuff

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    For $600 you could buy a mini lathe to do this and lots of other things as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to take a file and flatten the nose of FMJ military .30 carbine ammo.

At close range on a hog, it would turn inside out and shed the jacket.

I don't know what that did for accuracy, but at the ranges I was shooting them (in the same palmetto patch with them!) it didn't matter.
    Last edited by Leslie Sapp; 03-15-2024 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    I used to take file and flatten the nose of FMJ military .30 carbine ammo.

At close range on a hog, it would turn inside out and shed the jacket.

I don't know what that did for accuracy, but at the ranges I was shooting them (in the same palmetto patch with them!) it didn't matter.
    That's what the Hornady 86gr .30 Mauser SPs do when loaded to 2500fps out of my .300blk.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast