Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrosion inside loaded rounds

Corrosion inside loaded rounds

I recently got a rifle from an aging friend. It's a large wildcat he had built for an elk hunt that never happened but he kept the gun and loved it anyway. I got the rifle (minus the scope), custom dies, leftover powder, and 200+ loaded rounds and a few handfuls of fired brass.

I shot a few rounds of his handloads and about half of them popped the primers out... after doing some digging and comparing I found his handloads to be a bit... spicy... so for several reasons, I decided to pull down all the loaded rounds.

Here's the problem, most of the loaded rounds that I've pulled apart have corrosion on the inside of the cases and the bases of the bullets. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240311_052451.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	324416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240311_052311.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	324417

The powder was actually stuck to the bullets and the inside of the case. I had to scrape the inside of the case with a pick to break it off, you can see a granule still stuck inside though.

Should I be worried about this? What would cause this? Would the powder be safe to use for fireforming? Are the cases safe to use?

The powder is Accurate 3100, which was discontinued several years ago. The 1lb can he gave me has a price sticker with $18 on it and it was stored in his garage (in ND) so it could have been through several hot/cold cycles but I believe all of the loaded rounds were stored indoors.
    "The Gods cannot do for Man what Man must do for himself." ~ Athena
    -The Odyssey

Boolit Grand Master
    The powder in the cases I would dump. If the powder in the can smells and looks normal, it should be good.

I would also scrap the cases. Not worth the risk even though none of the ones you fired split.

But I am old and wary.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I don't think any of that stuff will kill you, unless you get a bullet stuck in the barrel and don't notice until the next shot. But it sounds like a lot of potential headaches. I might save the brass for very light plinking loads. If the cases separate and leave a big hunk in the chamber it might be a huge headache.

Boolit Master
    Occasionally, for no obvious reason, smokeless powder starts to decompose (or, to be more accurate, the natural tendency of the nitroester groups on the cellulose to come off and begin to attack the rest of the nitrocellulose chains overwhelms the stabilizers added to neutralize them and keep them from reacting with anything else). The nitrous and acidic species so produced can also corrode brass cartridge cases and jacketed bullets, if the powder has been loaded into cartridges.

I’m always on the scout for obsolete ammunition which I break down for the components and occasionally find cases like those. After cleaning with vinegar and tumbling, I’ve never found the corrosion has seriously weakened the brass for use, and some of the stuff I find dates back to the Thirties, at least. But I suppose it could happen. Break the stuff down, clean it out, inspect it and make the call.

I had an “as-new,” unopened plastic jar of one of the slow burning Hodgdon powders I bought at a gun show start to clump and smell acidic, even though I’d stored it in moderate conditions and had not broken the seal yet. I put it into my Weber grill and burned it, with spectacular results but no damage. This kind of decomposition reduces the strength of the powder, but could make it more sensitive to things like autoignition, so when I see clumping and smell nitrogen oxides and acid, the stuff gets destroyed. If it is still dry, flows well, doesn’t smell and has only gone so far as to generate rust flakes in the container, I separate the powder from the rust and continue to use it. Never have had trouble doing this, but past performance never guarantees future results, especially for other people.

I would recommend breaking down the loaded ammo, destroying the powder and checking the unused powder for clumping and sour/ozone smells, and proceeding accordingly.

The powder in the 1lb plastic container seemed fine but there was maybe 1/3lb left, not enough to be really useful. Thanks for the tip about vinegar, I'll give that a try. My plan was to pull them all down, separate the ones with corrosion, mark them somehow, tumble them, and keep them loaded but separate from the rest. Maybe I will load them a bit lighter too. I'll play it on the safe side and inspect every case.

I'm fighting myself, I want to salvage as much as I can from this project but I would like my face to stay attached and not get blow off because I didn't want to scrap a few cases. The round is based off of a 375H&H case, necked to .338, and blown out with an Ackley shoulder. At the last gun show a guy had some used 375H&H brass that he wanted $1.50 a piece for. Large rifle magnum primers are $0.12-0.15 a piece and ~85gr of heavy rifle powder isn't cheap either. Even with hornady bullets I'm at $3 per round...
    Last edited by Metroxfi; 03-11-2024 at 11:09 AM.
    -The Odyssey

Boolit Master
    You might check for 8mm Rem Mag brass along with your .375 H&H. Matt's Bullets has a 338 gas check that should work. Some Universal, Unique, TiteGroup, 5744 should work for mild loads that are fun to shoot. With mild loads and the occasional anneal, that tough Magnum brass should last a very long time. Should not cost more than a 308, 30-30 or '06 for fun shooting or killing pigs and whitetails.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroxfi View Post
    The powder in the 1lb plastic container seemed fine but there was maybe 1/3lb left, not enough to be really useful. Thanks for the tip about vinegar, I'll give that a try. My plan was to pull them all down, separate the ones with corrosion, mark them somehow, tumble them, and keep them loaded but separate from the rest. Maybe I will load them a bit lighter too. I'll play it on the safe side and inspect every case.

I'm fighting myself, I want to salvage as much as I can from this project but I would like my face to stay attached and not get blow off because I didn't want to scrap a few cases. The round is based off of a 375H&H case, necked to .338, and blown out with an Ackley shoulder. At the last gun show a guy had some used 375H&H brass that he wanted $1.50 a piece for. Large rifle magnum primers are $0.12-0.15 a piece and ~85gr of heavy rifle powder isn't cheap either. Even with hornady bullets I'm at $3 per round...
    If you get hurt or harm the gun $200 of brass will look like a bargain. That is almost a lifetime supply of cases for a big boomer like that. I have a .300 Win Mag that has less than 100 rounds through it. I bought it for an elk hunt that fell through, and I don't need to plink with a .300 Mag.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Save the bullets, scrap the rest. There could well be serious copper precipitation inside you can't see.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Also, since the bullets already started to corrode, even if you clean them you can expect them to continue corroding if reloaded and stored.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    You might check for 8mm Rem Mag brass along with your .375 H&H. Matt's Bullets has a 338 gas check that should work. Some Universal, Unique, TiteGroup, 5744 should work for mild loads that are fun to shoot. With mild loads and the occasional anneal, that tough Magnum brass should last a very long time. Should not cost more than a 308, 30-30 or '06 for fun shooting or killing pigs and whitetails.
    That's not a terrible idea, I wouldn't be opposed to finding a mold and having some milder stuff for it. In the loaded rounds he gave me are some 8mm rem mag and 416 rem mag headstamped cases. I did a short search for some 8mm rem mag brass and found one source for twice the price of the 375. I'll definitely keep my eyes open for anything though.

I do realize that I don't need a thousand rounds for something like this, it's not a 223 and I wouldn't be able to handle shooting more than a couple dozen rounds at a time. He had reported to me that necks would split pretty reliably after the second firing. However, that's with his very hot load and I won't be going quite that hot with it. Either way I would like to keep this gun going and if it's hard on brass I'd like to keep a decent amount on hand.

I'll try to pull down the rest of the rounds and get the brass all sorted out. If I clean a few pieces and they seem questionable at all I'll just make keychains out of them or something. If they seem serviceable I may do a mild load but I'll have to clean them and see. My dad has a lighted scope for opening safes that I could use to inspect a couple.

I'll clean the bullets up and save them for fireforming new brass, I'm not too concerned with them. They'll still be accurate enough to blow up 5 gallon buckets of water
    -The Odyssey

I would pull the bullets, toss the bullets and powder in the trash, then use my FART to clean the brass followed by my Hornady vibratory cleaner. I bet the brass is fine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    I would pull the bullets, toss the bullets and powder in the trash, then use my FART to clean the brass followed by my Hornady vibratory cleaner. I bet the brass is fine.
    I have NEVER tossed bullets in the trash!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The powder in the cases I would dump. If the powder in the can smells and looks normal, it should be good.

I would also scrap the cases. Not worth the risk even though none of the ones you fired split.

But I am old and wary.
    Cartridges are basically small bombs you intend to detonate inches from your only pair of eyes. Wary is called for.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Single base powder is hygroscopic. Could be when he was shut inside because of rain, he decided to load some ammo with the windows open.

Moderator Emeritus

SNIP>>>

I'll try to pull down the rest of the rounds and get the brass all sorted out. If I clean a few pieces and they seem questionable at all I'll just make keychains out of them or something. If they seem serviceable I may do a mild load but I'll have to clean them and see. My dad has a lighted scope for opening safes that I could use to inspect a couple.
    I have a couple thoughts...
    I would use a Citric acid bath to soak/clean the cases, instead of Vinegar, Citric acid also passivates the brass.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ht=citric+acid

Also, there is a common technique to use a dental pick, to "feel" inside a case, for the beginning of case head separation. That should also work to feel if there is any pitting (pitting like on the photo of your bullet.) When you find the worst pitted feeling case, I would cut it in half with a hacksaw or what have you, then you can really see what you have going.

I would be real picky about keeping any of these potentially corroded cases for ammo that could be loaded near 375H&H levels.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 03-11-2024 at 09:04 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

I wish you lived closer to Central MN, as I have a few cans of IMR7828 which I used in 375H&H, and no longer need. Also, I don't have a ton of Mag Large Rifle primers, but what I got, I'll never use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Wall hanger. Scrap components & ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Scrap it all. Get on the mailing list for all the suppliers and wait for the brass sales. If the necks are splitting after the second load it is because they were not annealed after die forming the case. That works the brass in the neck and the brass should be annealed. Never worth a few bucks to use up questionable components.
    I dumped about 8 - one pound cans of 1980's DuPont 3031 because of rusty dusty on the kernels. It makes good fertilizer as is and my roses were both prolific and beautiful that year....

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240312_202509.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	324481
    Got the last of them pulled last night and cut one of the the really bad ones in half. I have to say, it looked worse when I shined a flashlight in before I cut it. A lot of the blue corrosion was scraped off when I used a pick to scrape the powder off of the walls.

After taking the picture I soaked one half in vinegar and the other in hot water with citric acid, then wiped away the junk after 45 minutes or so. I'll try to tumble them today to reveal any pitting but I have to say I hardly felt any pitting/roughness after soaking them. If this was 'a really bad one' and it's really not that bad, most of the brass might be ok. I'll get them cleaned up and get more pictures.

My tentative plan is to deprime all the cases and anneal them, then tumble, resize, and load them with different bullets and different powder. I'll tumble and save the bullets for fireforming new cases in the future but I don't trust the powder, I don't even want it in the house.
    -The Odyssey

Well I woudn't worry, just pull all the ammo down. Something obviously caused the corrosion. Toss the powder & clean up the bullets, keep the cases, probably deprime them too. WHy we never shoot others reloads. Also why I dont load up 100s or 1000s of rounds.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast