WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corrosion inside loaded rounds

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The powder in the cases I would dump. If the powder in the can smells and looks normal, it should be good.

I would also scrap the cases. Not worth the risk even though none of the ones you fired split.

But I am old and wary.
    Same here....
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240314_091117.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	324538
    This is that same case that I cut in half. I tumbled it (probably way too long) and you can see some pitting. This was one of the worst cases with a ton of blue corrosion. I have no way of accurately measuring how deep the putting is, but i can barely feel it whenscraping across it with my fingernail or a small tool. There are a couple of deeper pits that I can feel but overall it seems like it's mostly surface discoloration.

Of the batch of just over 200 rounds only about 30 were this bad. Maybe another 30 have some corrosion but not nearly as bad and the other 150+ seemed to be good.

Of the 30 that are really bad, most of them had cracked necks. That was noticeable as loaded rounds and I could have pulled the bullets out with my fingers. The brass had not been cleaned prior to reloading them, could that have anything to do with the corrosion more than the others? Dirty VS clean brass?

Also, of the badly corroded cases with cracked necks, about 25 of the 30 were made from 416 Rem mag brass. Actually, I think of all the non cracked brass only 1 or 2 pieces of 416 didn't crack, so at least I'm weeding out a third headstamp. I'm sure they cracked from never being annealed.

So of all the brass I currently have I feel very comfortable with 2/3 of it. The last 100 round box I pulled down had clean cases inside and out and some powder stuck to the bullets but no corrosion or discoloration.

All in all it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. I lose 30 pieces of brass, most of which were already cracked, and have 30 or so more that should either be marked for lighter loads or used for dummy rounds. All the bullets should be usable after some cleaning. Powder will be discarded.

Like Fredj338 said, that's why we don't shoot other's reloads. There are so many variables that are in our control when we reload and so many more that aren't.
    "The Gods cannot do for Man what Man must do for himself." ~ Athena
    -The Odyssey

Moderator Emeritus

well, that's some good news and very detailed investigation.
    Often, you can see more on a enlarged digital photo, than with naked eye. I see more than one serious pit, and I remember this was worst, but the fact there is a few pits, there could be pits in the cases that don't feel as bad, I'd only use the clean ones. I surely would not use any of the "416 Rem mag" marked cases.
    " I lose 30 pieces of brass, most of which were already cracked, and have 30 or so more that should either be marked for lighter loads or used for dummy rounds."

I wouldn't use any of these 60 for ammo, a few dummy rounds (or jewelry like previously mentioned) sounds like a good plan.

That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12