Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 410 Reloads?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Half Dog,

Sir, you asked a logical question and got very logical responses. What is your need? If it is home defense, I respectfully say, "Get a better gun." Why send a Boy (410) to deal with what may be multiple assailants? Why have "limited objectives" when your life and the lives of your loved ones are depending on you?

I have owned several 410 shotguns over the years and only have a neat "Snake Charmer" used only for rattlers. I prefer a 20, 16 or 12 gauge, Loaded Right, for any anticipated need. A 410 shotgun makes a good boat anchor, in my opinion.

Be well.

Adam
    Thank you for your response. My 410 is intended for skeet shooting and not self defense, I have a different plan for home defense. I saw a round that I was curious about and wanted to ask the group about reconstructing it, if feasible. And which situation it would best suited for. I can’t imagine a need for it but who knows. I learn something each day.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Snake oil. Best .410 defense load is 5-pellet 00 buck.
    BEST .410 Defensive Load is a 12 ga. Shotgun with Buckshot or Slugs. Don't be afraid of the Recoil, You'll only need to fire once or twice!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Could it, maybe, be used for stray cats?
    cream of wheat works on stray cats and bad dogs.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Well for those with a MEC press for loading 410 loads. There are two positions on the second crimp die for the cam over bolt to sit. The top hole is for 2-1/2" long hulls. The bottom hole is for the 3" hulls. I load mine separately and only have to change once per session.
    There are kits you can get that are one of each but you still have to remove the second crimp die off the press anyway so I don't see that being a time saver. I find I still have to adjust the center pin to get the fold I want. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	324614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240315_185814.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	324615

My parents gave me a .410 for Christmas when I was a teenager, I never found it lacking for any reason. I shot rabbits, coons, possums, squirrels and pheasants.
    Perhaps it didn't put as much lead in the pattern, but if you did your part, it did its.
    Now on the other hand these little .410 pistols give a bit to be desired, at least with small shot.
    I have a Bond Arms Cowboy, a well-made stainless-steel derringer that fires 2 and1/2 inch .410 shells, I was only able to find 8 shot 2 1/2 inch shells so that is what I used.
    This load out of a Bond Arms derringer seems pretty pathetic, at about 8 feet most pellets bounce off of a plastic water bottle.
    With the correct load these pistols may be effective, but on anything other than small snakes I would not expect too much.
    On a positive note, they are a hoot to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    cream of wheat works on stray cats and bad dogs.
    No such thing as bad dogs and cats, just the people that own them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    3" shells are doable on a MEC junior once you adjust the base and all the dies again. Instead of the hassle to switch back and forth between 2 1/2" an 3" shells a started roll crimping most of my 3" loads. MEC's biggest design flaw on the .410 is no hull support on the crimp stations.
    You need to have the 3 inch loading dies. I have both the 2 1/2 and 3 inch dies for my 600 jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12