Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: ordering Magma mold, question is with or without lube grooves

Boolit Mold

ordering Magma mold, question is with or without lube grooves

Not sure if this was a mold or powder coat question. Looking at ordering a mold from New West (or ?? suggestions) for light to medium 38 spec practice loads. Running the mold on a newly purchased Master Caster that will be automated. The old Magma 38-145-SWC-FB is pretty close. I have 6 people from our church that want to become proficient with a hand gun, probably thousand of rounds needed. I am currently PCing 30 cal 230 grain and 38 cal 140 grain from a Lee 6 cavity. An automatic feed sizer is in the works, no lubing capabilities. I do shoot a bit of 357 mag thru a Ruger and would see if this bullet would work around 1,100 fps.

I don't have a star, at this time just 2 450s and one 45 lube sizer. Really like the slickness of the PC when feeding thru a progressive press. I use to freeze my lubed bullets to reduce the stickiness.

Does it make sense to buy a mold without lube grooves? Thinking release from the mold would be smoother with out the grooves. The lee factory crimp dies seems to work pretty well even if no crimp groove is present.

Looking for suggestions. Thank

Mike

Boolit Master
    I would order a mold with grooves if it was the same cost. More options.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting post. What are the advantages of NLG? I do not see any but willing to learn.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

If you KNOW you will always PC why would you wand the grooves? A simpler smooth cavity will drop bullets without them getting stuck. Thats my experience. I like my stuff as simple as possible.

Boolit Mold
    Plate Plinker expressed my thoughts that a no lube groove bullet might drop easier from the mold. Making 800 an hour, the less potential issues the better. the bullet would look more like an electroplated copper bullet. it could be either a cone nose FP or a SWC. I have seen PC posts with bullets that are with out grooves. not sure if price is different w/ and w/o grooves but will ask when I submit for quote.

Boolit Master

yes let us know. I may be in the market for some 9mm MOLDS myself.