Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I found my Best Farm Shotgun.

Boolit Buddy
    Concerning 22lr vs 22 magnum. The 22lr is .222 or .223 bore and the 22 magnum is .224. Not sure it would be a good idea to re-bore a 22lr to 22 magnum.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by besk View Post
    Concerning 22lr vs 22 magnum. The 22lr is .222 or .223 bore and the 22 magnum is .224. Not sure it would be a good idea to re-bore a 22lr to 22 magnum.
    For what 22Mag ammo costs...22 Hornet or 222, or even a 22-30 like I have...because we Cast and size...or .222 size Condoms are available..

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    In 1988 I bought a nice rural PA 60-acre farm. I retired in 1996 and happily reside on my acreage. I enjoy my resident deer, bear, coyotes and other critters. I have a Polaris Ranger for daily patrols and found out early on a .45 M1911A1 is not my best choice for a farm gun. My best farm gun is not a shotgun; it is BOTH a rifle and shotgun.

My wife gifted me a Savage .22 Magnum over a 20 gauge shotgun arm at Christmas in 1996. It is the best of both worlds for me. I carry it daily and have the very best of both worlds. The .22 Magnum reaches out and the 20 gauge handles aerial targets with no concern downrange.

I have whacked coyotes, porkys, skunks and rattlers without a hiccup to continue enjoying my farm. We do camp out in our West Woods lean-to often and the Savage and loyal hound keep the campsite just great.

Get a Savage O/U for a great camp gun.

Adam
    was in Mansfield 50 years ago - very nice + rural area - did they build the dam between the 2 mountains they proposed back then ? - is Ralph's sales + service still there ? was Ford car, truck, heavy duty truck + tractor dealer - also a gas station + wrecker service - the parts man also pumped gas + did the towing calls = also had a small plane with landing strip - fond memories of hunting there -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    was in Mansfield 50 years ago - very nice + rural area - did they build the dam between the 2 mountains they proposed back then ? - is Ralph's sales + service still there ? was Ford car, truck, heavy duty truck + tractor dealer - also a gas station + wrecker service - the parts man also pumped gas + did the towing calls = also had a small plane with landing strip - fond memories of hunting there -
    schutzen,

Yes, they built the Tioga Dam. Ralph's is gone. I do remember his business of years ago. I live 5 miles out of Mansfield toward Wellsboro.

Be well.

Adam

thanks for the reply - iirc the dam was to flood the entire valley to the dismay of the land owners involved - completely different area from the large farm i spent a good portion of my younger years on -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    My wife's family is from PA, I've heard that they lost the family farm to a lake dam, wonder if it's the same one, said that when the water levels drop part of the farmhouse comes up.
    I've always have had a soft spot for Savages 24, right now I have a .22 hornet over 12ga., have never tried to see how it groups but I know it's close to point of aim.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    My wife's family is from PA, I've heard that they lost the family farm to a lake dam, wonder if it's the same one, said that when the water levels drop part of the farmhouse comes up.
    I've always have had a soft spot for Savages 24, right now I have a .22 hornet over 12ga., have never tried to see how it groups but I know it's close to point of aim.
    tunnug,

Thanks for the reply. If it was Tioga County, then yes it was the village of Lambs Creek and nearby farms that were flooded back in about 1973. I like the Savage 24 and have two guns; a .22M/20 gauge and a .222/20 gauge with 4X scope. I prefer a .30/30/ 20 gauge, but went with what I found.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    tunnug,

Thanks for the reply. If it was Tioga County, then yes it was the village of Lambs Creek and nearby farms that were flooded back in about 1973. I like the Savage 24 and have two guns; a .22M/20 gauge and a .222/20 gauge with 4X scope. I prefer a .30/30/ 20 gauge, but went with what I found.

Be well.

Adam
    I lust after a M24 222/20ga...enjoy that... 55g cast FPGC over 8-9gr of Unique (or BE-86) gives me a Grin!!
    I load my 20ga with 7-1/2's just because... haven't had a Critter run off yet!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12