WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found my Best Farm Shotgun.

Boolit Master

I found my Best Farm Shotgun.

In 1988 I bought a nice rural PA 60-acre farm. I retired in 1996 and happily reside on my acreage. I enjoy my resident deer, bear, coyotes and other critters. I have a Polaris Ranger for daily patrols and found out early on a .45 M1911A1 is not my best choice for a farm gun. My best farm gun is not a shotgun; it is BOTH a rifle and shotgun.

My wife gifted me a Savage .22 Magnum over a 20 gauge shotgun arm at Christmas in 1996. It is the best of both worlds for me. I carry it daily and have the very best of both worlds. The .22 Magnum reaches out and the 20 gauge handles aerial targets with no concern downrange.

I have whacked coyotes, porkys, skunks and rattlers without a hiccup to continue enjoying my farm. We do camp out in our West Woods lean-to often and the Savage and loyal hound keep the campsite just great.

Get a Savage O/U for a great camp gun.

Adam

Moderator Emeritus

We have the 22 mag/410 which is an accurate fun gun. We got it for my gf to shoot. So far so good.

Yes, love my 22/410.

That sounds like a good gun for that use. I had a Savage .222/20 gauge that was a good one until someone offered me 3x what I paid for it- so I let it go.
    Our Mule has a Maverick 20 gauge pump, a Ruger Wrangler, and a H&R 999 .22 revolver on it at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, the Savage/Stevens combination guns are long discontinued ( I had several different models) - and their replacements (Savage, Chiappa, etc, etc) are nowhere near as good ( I've owned them, too).

The older guns, in good or better shape, justifiedly bring a LOT of $$$ today.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I have the 222 over 20 and use it the same way.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I have the 222 over 20 and use it the same way.
    pworley,

I have a .222/20 gauge I bought a decade ago from a widow getting rid of guns in her home. I reload for the .222 and use it for coyotes on occasion. The .22Magnum/20 gauge is in my Ranger in a roof rack gun carrier at all times.

I always thought a rifle caliber over a shotgun bore was a great combination. The Germans are of the same mind since they have drillings with an assortment of interesting combinations.

For a camp gun, 4 wheeler patrol arm, or just a woods-walking companion, I prefer my .22M/20 gauge and loyal Blue Heeler hound. I put a butt stock 5-round shot shell holder on my Savage and slipped inside a .22 caliber shell holder for the upper barrel. I carry a slug, a #3 Buck, two #4 shells and a 7.5 shell for total coverage of any need.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I'm a big fan of those too, and have owned several. The one I have now is the last iteration in .30-30 over 12 gauge, with a screw-in choke tube.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I'm a big fan of those too, and have owned several. The one I have now is the last iteration in .30-30 over 12 gauge, with a screw-in choke tube.
    Tracy,

Yes the Savage Over/Under guns are the best for farm folks. In my 28 years on my land, I never needed more gun for farm business.

If I could go camp or trek, a Savage O/U would be in my pack. I am ambulatory, can drive my Ranger about and always have my Savage O/U.

Be well,

Adam

Boolit Master
    I have had a 357,222,223 over 20, never got anyone of them to shoot an acceptable group. I don't mean 4 inches at 100, more like 12 inches or more. Believe me I wanted them to shoot reasonably. There have been several front barrel attachments and it makes a difference.

On the other hand several 22 magnums were stellar. I want a 22/410 but at current prices it will not likely happen. I have always liked those guns but someone offered too much.

You have found a good one, wife and gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I have had a 357,222,223 over 20, never got anyone of them to shoot an acceptable group. I don't mean 4 inches at 100, more like 12 inches or more. Believe me I wanted them to shoot reasonably. There have been several front barrel attachments and it makes a difference.

On the other hand several 22 magnums were stellar. I want a 22/410 but at current prices it will not likely happen. I have always liked those guns but someone offered too much.

You have found a good one, wife and gun.
    beemer,
    Thanks for the great reply. Yes, I have been blessed with a great wife, several wonderful dogs and a farm that needs daily attention. Farm needs are easy to fix with a .22M/20 gauge. I never needed MORE gun.

Sadly, none of my kids want the farm or my iron. I am planning to aid folks in need. I am aware there are folks with farm desires. I pray daily for the Lord to make me an instrument of His will here on Earth. We are making progress daily.
    Be well.

Adam

I have had several. That is the one gun I regret trading for...it was a .222/20ga. I now have a 22lr/410 and a 30-30/20ga. I use them for a camp gun. I keep it at my cabin in northern Maine. When visiting there and doing chores, llike cutting a splitting fire wood, it may be grouse or rabbit season and of course coyote are open year round (even at night except for during deer season). They are very useful forearms. Love mine!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    I have had several. That is the one gun I regret trading for...it was a .222/20ga. I now have a 22lr/410 and a 30-30/20ga. I use them for a camp gun. I keep it at my cabin in northern Maine. When visiting there and doing chores, llike cutting a splitting fire wood, it may be grouse or rabbit season and of course coyote are open year round (even at night except for during deer season). They are very useful forearms. Love mine!
    hwilliam.

The best 26 years of my life were spent in NH and I hunted deer annually in Berlin, NH. Here in rural PA, the .22M/20 is a great tool for farm business. I cannot start my Polaris Ranger unless the Savage is onboard.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Stevens 22/410 with the barrel cut down to 19" with chokes installed. Love the gun. Even have a 16 gauge barrel fitted to the receiver and a 38 special/357 insert barrel for it.

But frankly most of the time I have a folding Yiltz 410 in the truck. My farm in SC is mostly wooded and the distances are short. Snakes - water moccasins, copperheads and rattle snakes are what I mostly run into.

Boolit Master
    I carry a Savage “Camper” .22/20 ga on my Ranger most of the time. Carry a few slugs in the glove box. I’ve killed quite a few rattlesnakes and several varmints with it, just because it was there. It has a compartment in the stock so I keep extra .22 ammo and a couple of shot shells in there.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was looking for a tractor gun I could not find one these at a reasonable price. They are not easy to find and a great concept.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

You are right about the best all around farm gun. I have an old beater Savage over under 22LR over 20 gauge. I take it on the tractor in an old folded carpet scabbard. Thought about running a 22 mag chamber reamer into the old beast to allow a little more reach for varmints. The 6X scope makes it difficult to use the gun for flying targets. You have to tilt the gun to the side to look down the shotgun barrel.

Boolit Master
    I lust for another Savage O/U, 222/20ga.. I can load the 222 down If I choose...But not too far.
    Until I find one again... My 20ga Bolt gun is just fine.. If I cant get close...welp, gotta go get another gun...for now!

back in the 1950's +196o's as a youngster i spent my summer vacations at my Aunt Kate's large farm that ten was Yardley, PA. [ now Lower Makefield Twp. ] - the only firearm on the farm was a long tom 12 ga. single barrel, when the needed a rifle they would borrow a Remington 511 from the gentleman farmer up the road on oxford valley road - farm was located on junction of Black Rock + Oxford Valley Road - area has seen massive changes now -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Guys,

Great responses! I carry the .22M/20 in my Ranger and on the John Deere 65 HP tractor. I see coyotes, chucks, porkys, etc. while farming and have a stock shell holder for a selection of 22M or 20 gauge ammo to fit the need.

Once the .22M/20 gauge was not fired, but made a few talking points CLEAR to 3 aggressive tresspassers. They "got" the message LOL.

Be well.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast