RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Anybody Load 444 Marlin with Black Powder

Boolit Master

Anybody Load 444 Marlin with Black Powder

Anyone loading .444 Marlin with BP?? Thinking it is not quite rocket science, fill up the case and put the boolit on top and go. I've searched the forum but I am apparently not very good using the search engine.

I have 2F powder and 240 and 310 boolits.

Reason I want to try it is I purchased a .444 Marlin Handi Rifle barrel and the only frame I have that it properly locks onto is an SB1 frame so wanting to keep pressures low.

Any thoughts?

Handi rifles have very shallow rifling and most 44 bullets don't carry much lube so those two things will add challenge to your endeavor. You might consider duplex loading to reduce having to wipe between shots, or use something like APP that doesn't foul much. If you have something like Quickload you can also find decently performing smokeless loads that generate the same or less pressure than black powder loads if you're so inclined.

Boolit Grand Master

I have not loaded 444 with BP but used to load up .45-70 for my 1895 Marlin with BP for fun shooting. In my experience I found that FFFg worked better than FFg for bullets of 385 to 405 grain.

I read that the long range BP shooters like coarser granulations of powder but they are normally using quite heavy for caliber boolits too. I found FFg under the 385/405 gr. bullets was dirty and didn't seem to pack the same punch as FFFg based on our 100 yard gong "clang" and swing.

Not sure of the Handi Rifle receiver strength but if you are planning on sticking to trapdoor Springfield load levels there are numerous smokeless loads in that low pressure range too, I am currently loading for an original 1881 Marlin .45-70 and using mostly Unique which is working well.

As for your question, yes, I think you have it about right, a case full of BP with boolit seated to provide slight compression. You will want a good BP lube as well and/or a lubed wad or grease cookie under the boolit. I suspect that the 310 gr. will give you best performance over BP but no harm in trying both.

Longbow

I tried BP in .405 winchester M95 but the twist is too fast and you can't get enough velocity with black powder to suit the twist. I ended up with mediocre accuracy. I assume the .444 would be the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I tried BP in .405 winchester M95 but the twist is too fast and you can't get enough velocity with black powder to suit the twist. I ended up with mediocre accuracy. I assume the .444 would be the same problem.
    Marlin 444 is actually the opposite. They have 1:38 twist and don't work with anything heavier than about 265 grains.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a H&R rifle that started out a 44 mag ,I rechamberd it to 444 marlin and use light load smokeless 4198 and reloader 7 & 10 work real well shooting 310 gr.. cast bullets and it is more accurate than it ever was as a 44 mag . Was thinking of trying my homemade black powder but just haven't gotten around to it yet but am sure it will work just as good as black in a 44 mag pistol which I shoot regularly . In fact that was my intention of doing , getting more case capacity than a 44 mag with the homemade BP.

Boolit Master
    Fitz, is your rechambered 444 on an SB1 or SB2 frame? Thanks.

Plus, this one is a rebore by JES. Need to pull it out and see if he marked the twist rate.
    Last edited by RustyReel; 03-09-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Fitz, is your rechambered 444 on an SB1 or SB2 frame? Thanks.

Plus, this one is a rebore by JES. Need to pull it out and see if he marked the twist rate.
    its a SB1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I am puzzled ??? thought fast twist - long boolts - low velocity
    slow twist - short boolits - more velocity was how this worked ???????????????????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I am puzzled ??? thought fast twist - long boolts - low velocity
    slow twist - short boolits - more velocity was how this worked ???????????????????
    Longer boolit: "Short" (fast) twist.
    Short Boolit: "Long" (slow) twist.
    Velocity is determined more by weight than anything else, but since you can't change the twist rate you can load up or down to find a good speed for that boolit at that twist.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.