RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: rifle scope

Boolit Mold

rifle scope

I know they say to mount your scope low as possible on a bolt action rifle, My scope rings came with my scope but its a little high meaning from the objective bell to the barrel is 9/16 of a inch, thats not too much but a little more then I usally do. do you think thats ok or should I buy lower rings?

Boolit Grand Master
    I would. You can use it as is and make it work. You just have to lift you head when viewing the scope. Makes the cheek weld and stock weld less consistent.

Boolit Grand Master

The scope height depends on your stock and cheek. a heavy monte carlo cheek piece or high comb will raise your head more as will a fuller face. A to high scope is easier to work with than a to low one.

Boolit Master
    In addition to ergos of your cheek weld, you might also consider where you want your two zero points to be. Lowering your sight axis is more optimal for shorter range shooting. Higher will be better for longer range shooting. Idea is to minimize how much you need to dope for distance/drop through the ranges you want to be most effective.

Boolit Master
    If you use a lower set of scope rings make sure that the bolt handle clears the eyepiece bell. You want to have enough clearance that you can cycle the bolt fast in case you need to take a follow up shot.

I adjust a scope height until when I shoulder the gun with my eyes closed, the scope is at the right height when my eyes come open. The same as I do for eye relief.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

Buy lower rings.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

Before you buy lower rings, make sure you can open the bolt without the handle being blocked by the rear lens.