WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Using an SKS barel to create a 327 Federal High Wall

Using an SKS barel to create a 327 Federal High Wall

Thirty-two caliber barrels for a Winchster 1885 are expensive, whereas I have the ability to get an SKS barrel for free. Is there any way I could make that work?

Boolit Master
    You might have to use an outer sleeve on the barrel to replace the journal you'll be cutting off with the chamber... I mean it could be done, but I can't say if your barrel's internal diameter will be large enough. .327 Federal has a .312 bore, where as the 7.62x39 barrels can range from .310 (which is spec) to .314ish May be too tight for standard ammo, or could be too large.... Might be right on.... You'll just have to see, and use it accordingly...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Also, you gotta remember, the SKS barrel is only 20" long. You'll have to cut off the chamber, and you'll loose a lot in the front end by taking off the barrel from the gas port forward. You may only end up with a 10" barrel after you turn it down....

So with that said, you gonna SBR that high wall?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I have my pick from a large number of partially-finished barrels. Most have no gas port; if there is one,I will simply plug it. My source is looking for one without a finished chamber, but that isn't guaranteed. I am aware that there is some variation in bore diameter, but for the money saved, I am willing to take a gamble. Besides, I do cast and reload for 32 S&W short, Long, H&R Magnum, and 327, so I can certainly make it work.

If the bore diameter is the right size, there is no reason it will not work.
    If the barrel is not long enough simply add an extension, easy enough if you have a lathe, just keep the inside diameter a bit larger than the bore diameter.

Boolit Master
    Why don’t you just have your original barrel Re Lined ?
    I am sure there are guys that can do that kind of work.
    Call Bobby Hoyt and see if he does those kind of barrels .

Boolit Master
    FYI, for a 327 I would not expect any problems running a 0.314 through even a 0.308" barrel. I have a couple of stub tube contender rounds that do well with 0.314" stuff down a 0.308" barrel. However, it is also pretty easy to source 0.312" boolits.

Aren’t SKS barrels chrome lined?
    That could be a problem.
    Are you starting with a shot out rifle or just an action?
    For an 1885 Winchester HighWall I would recommend a good barrel to start with and making it fit your action adds cost as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Aren’t SKS barrels chrome lined?
    That could be a problem.
    Are you starting with a shot out rifle or just an action?
    For an 1885 Winchester HighWall I would recommend a good barrel to start with and making it fit your action adds cost as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In have roughly thirty barrels to choose from (though not in person, unfortunately), in varying states of completion; some are chromed and some are not, but all are rifled and unfired. If they can be made to fit the action, then I think it would be worth renting a carbide chamber reamer, if necessary. The 1885 currently has a rusty 219 Zipper barrel installed, which I was considering removing myself (I got some excellent advice about that in an earlier thread here), but I am a little worried about potentially damaging the action; so far I have been able to get all the components for this project on a shoestring budget, and I am not sure if I can pull that off again. My friend took some measurements and the SKS barrels have an OD of .751" at the chamber end, which continues for a couple for inches, then steps-down a little bit. The smallest unfinished chamber, has an ID of .410" at the opening; others are a little larger. I am not sure those if are straight, or if they have any taper to them. That's still slightly larger than SAAMI specifications for a 327 chamber, but unless they already have a shoulder, couldn't I potentially sleeve then ream to spec?
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 03-05-2024 at 09:48 AM.

By the way, the 32 Spl is a great cartridge, could be loaded down to a 327 Mag velocity, etc. The old barrel has a 30-30 cartridge basic cut. So a rebore of the .224 barrel would or could put the old barrel to use and get you a .32 rifle, without loosing the old barrel. Just a thought.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers