RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should you ever give in? give up?

Boolit Master

should you ever give in? give up?

Been thinking an awful lot about mortality recently since a call from a first cousin back in early January who is the same age and he said the doctor told him he should probably get his affairs in order he has untreatable stage 4 cancer and might probably be in hospice care in about 6 months.
    Thank god I'm still in fairly good health and able to be as active as possible but I sure aint 25 anymore. I sure have had my share of ailments that have put me spending more time on this or other web sites more than shooting, casting or reloading in the past few years and have been thinking should I maybe downsize or just do what I can when I can. Ive found myself sometimes on the computer reading or commenting about someone else's gun or reload and jumped up. grabbed a gun and went out back and put some lead downrange. then needing to refill those empty cartridges just got to it. but I sure dont do thing as fast or efficient as I did even 10 years ago.

Boolit Master
    None of us can do things as fast or as easily as we did them 20 years ago. Be grateful God is keeping you and enjoy what you can do - let go of what you can't.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master
    We are wired differently so no one right answer.

I love to shoot and will keep at it for as long as I can. But downsizing has been liberating for me. It generated a sizable amount of cash to stock up on components and freed up a lot of space. It is not a good option for someone who likes many different guns and calibers to play with.

I never really got into deer hunting and last season was my last. Will miss the guys but not nothing else. I live in the deep woods and do not need a reason to be with nature. And there are too many idiots out there for my liking.

I also started a small side business last year selling firewood. At 73 it keeps me active and generates some income. But the important part is getting me out and doing something.

I am not ready to “give up” yet.
    Don Verna

At 67 I also have been thinking about what lies ahead. Fairly healthy but a lot of aches and pains from parts I have either injured or wore out throughout the years. I should start thinning the herd but to me it would be sort of like giving up. I still hunt and am very active. One of the late Toby Keith’s last songs is “ Don’t Let the Old Man In”. When asked about what made him write it he responded at Clint Eastwood’s golf tournament he asked him how he keeps going at 90. Eastwood was about to leave for 3 months making the movie “The Mule”. Eastwood responded “I don’t let the old man in”. Eastwood actually then used the song in the movie. One great line is …how old would you be if you didn’t know the day you were born.

Boolit Master
    I am 73 years old. My get up and go has pretty much got up and went, but I am currently in the process of carving out some new steel targets made from scrap steel. I may or may not ever get them finished, but it gives me something to do.

Downsize?? Nah. I'll let the kids and grandkids divide up what they want and auction off what they don't want.

Boolit Master

I love growing and eating vegetables and have a manageable garden that occupies some time. It’s amazing how much produce I can get from a relatively small plot when intensely managed. Last week I planted cabbage and chinese broccoli. This week it’s english peas. Near the end of March it will be corn and green beans, then squash and tomatoes later. Accomplish a little each day and the fresh veggies are a great reward for my troubles.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I work in the hospital snd see life and death on a daily basis. Those who stop moving too soon end quickly. Even terminal cancer patients do much better when they stay active burning chemo out of their systems quickly where those who sit around suffer because it does not circulate out quickly.

My advise after treating 40,000 patients. Go/stay active until you drop dead. You'll be much happier for it and the end will be peaceful and quick rather than slow and horrifying.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    1st shortage I asked the wife how much ammo we should have on hand.
    She said, "When you die, you should have ammo left, so get lots."

Boolit Master
    Never

Boolit Master

I think the answer depends on the situation. If you have kin or kids that would enjoy the guns after you are gone I would get rid of the ones you will not be using in the immediate future.. I would feel better selling to them at a reduced value if I knew they were going to enjoy ownership. If there are ones nobody wants then sell them through normal means at the bet price the market will bear.
    In my situation, my wife or kids do not know the value of my guns. They would probably dispose of them through commission or bulk sales where they would receive 30-40% of market value. The same would apply to my reloading/casting equipment.
    At least have some knowledgeable person designated to dispose of them at reasonable market prices.

Boolit Grand Master

Sta y active at what you enloy work and play at your own pace dont push it but stay active. I tell people im just to stubborn to give up. You may have to think and plan a little more but do it.

I still do everything I did before just not always the same way as before. Welding is way different being in the chair as now I have to keep my legs out from under the work. I also have a welders blanket I put on my lap and belly just in case. The mill and lathe are the same I have to do things my way. I plan out cutter changes on the mill more. But it beats going brain dead in front of the TV.

Boolit Grand Master
    still do most of what I did when I was a youngin bit slower but still do it
    as for getting rid of thing I start that but then I fill with other things just seems to be a cycle
    firewood man I did that gig what a back breaker cutting, splitting, hauling and delivering man you can have it
    I do wish you the best though
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The only thing I would add is this is a question only the person in the mirror can answer and it's something that can only be answered over a period of months.

We've all had bad times. They rarely last.

Boolit Master
    Just keep going. As in, just do the things you enjoy that keeps the mind and body moving. Whole lot more fun that way.

Moderator Emeritus

Facing age myself... my spine is saying no way to sitting at the reloading bench anymore so probably going to thin that out next month... if it causes pain it has to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I think the answer depends on the situation. If you have kin or kids that would enjoy the guns after you are gone I would get rid of the ones you will not be using in the immediate future.. I would feel better selling to them at a reduced value if I knew they were going to enjoy ownership. If there are ones nobody wants then sell them through normal means at the bet price the market will bear.
    In my situation, my wife or kids do not know the value of my guns. They would probably dispose of them through commission or bulk sales where they would receive 30-40% of market value. The same would apply to my reloading/casting equipment.
    At least have some knowledgeable person designated to dispose of them at reasonable market prices.
    I know for sure that at least some of our kids will want my semi-autos, but they don't seem to be interested in my cowboy guns. One of my step sons really likes my Ruger snub nose .357, and I would give it to him right now, but his wife would just make him sell it to help finance a vacation or something.

Boolit Master
    My son is looking forward to inheriting my collections
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

That's a very interesting question. I read the obits every day and see who has bought the farm that I know.....too many of them I would add.
    I'm 75, still working 2 jobs (self employed for 40 years as software consultant and 15 years as a property manager for a 41 residential 5 commercial unit building).
    Am I slowing down? You bet. Do I hurt? You bet. Back, knees, shoulder, etc. I don't set an alarm clock any more and just let my body tell me when to get out of bed.
    Spring, summer and fall keeps me moving - yard work, gardening (35x35) stacking 9 cords of wood every year and putting food away every fall keeps me active.
    I am going to have to find a winter regimen to keep me limber and not make spring so darn hard to get back into shape. Probably going to walk the woods a lot this coming winter.....snowshoeing too.
    I have no intention of hanging it up.
    My late mother passed at 95....I hope I have her longevity genes.
    My son can't wait for me to croak so he can have my guns.
    He is particularly liking the NFA stuff.....
    My daughter just wants me around....no inheritance wanted there.
    I still, on the whole, feel pretty good.
    Eat well, sleep well, stay active. That seems to be the formula.
    One more thing - murder your TV...I did that 30 years ago and don't miss it a bit. You would be amazed how much you can get done if you don't have a TV.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Fishbugs, I hope the nfa stuff is in a trust with him on it.... otherwise he WILL have paperwork to fill out. Make sure he understands that.... no money, but he will have to get inherited NFA stamps. I think he has to surrender to a dealer with a license to sell NFA items.

But to farmbif, keep it going. Nothing is easy. I'm 65 and still working at self employed and I'm still buying guns and ammo. Daughter just bought her first pistol, not really interested in mine a lot, but they'll be hers at some point. No Grandkids. It'll all be hers to deal with.... but I'm gonna enjoy it all till then

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Fishbugs, I hope the nfa stuff is in a trust with him on it.... otherwise he WILL have paperwork to fill out. Make sure he understands that.... no money, but he will have to get inherited NFA stamps. I think he has to surrender to a dealer with a license to sell NFA items.
    I have navigated the intricacies of NFA and estates without a trust.
    The paperwork is already filled out so they will transfer to him upon my death with no tax paid.
    Need the original Form 4 and the Form 5 (tax exempt transfer).
    The only fly in the ointment is the wait time...usually 30 days or so upon an estate transfer. However, the NFA items need to be stored with the properly licensed dealer until transfer is approved.
    A pain, but I get it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast