Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 3D Printing Etiquette

Boolit Mold

3D Printing Etiquette

It's time to address a recurring issue that's been cropping up within our small reloading community, and frankly, there's no excuse for it. While I've been open in sharing many of my designs with the public, it's imperative that we all understand and respect the terms outlined in the licensing agreements associated with these releases. Using these designs typically does not automatically grant permission to sell the items produced.

If you're considering printing and selling items based on my designs, or those of others, I implore you to reach out directly to the creator and request permission. Recently, I encountered a situation where I granted someone permission to use my design for their store under the condition that they remove my logo from the item. Regrettably, despite my clear instructions, the individual has failed to comply, leaving the item listed with my logo intact.

Let me be crystal clear: I will not remove my logo from the items I post due to concerns of intellectual property theft. However, removing the logo is a simple request that I may have been happy to accommodate if asked respectfully. It's disheartening to witness my work misrepresented in this manner, particularly when it's been listed for over a year without accommodating a simple task.

Boolit Master

Unfortunately people take advantage of others and ruin generous opportunities.

Moderator Emeritus

There is no excuse for that. You were gracious enough to let someone use what you spent time and money designing and let them use it for personal use. Selling it is no different than stealing. We are better than that here folks.

Boolit Mold
    It seems that the individual I am discussing isn't a member on this forum or go by a different name, but their items for sale show behavior of trolling this forum. When they come across this topic, I hope they realize their actions impact others.

I am debating if I want to go the legal method and get a lawyer because I have been provided with name, address and phone number of said individual.

So shouldn’t you be addressing the issue with that individual because it seems he is the one who offended/wronged you? Since it’s a reoccurring issue perhaps you should request rules be established, or modified, that will resolve the issue instead of airing your disappointment to everyone.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Hate to say it, but this behavior is as old as the Internet (actually older). Been there had it happen to me decades ago.

Stopped my contributions in that area right quick. The hobbyist is the one that really loses out.

45_Colt

A lot of open source software only requires that one leave the acknowledgement of the original authors having created the original work. Am surprised at how often people ignore that simple request.

As more and more of us in reloading and casting invest our time and money into 3D printing and come up with solutions that we all benefit from a discussion on what individuals and a community think is acceptable behavior. Not a lot different than past discussions on drinking beer when at the range, their are differences of opinion, sharing those opinions respectfully is to everyone's advantage. It can help avoid unrealistic expectations or inadvertently and needlessly offending others.

My guess is the person selling the copy of the OP's work lacks the skill to edit the printer instructions to remove the logo. Programming for a 3D printer is non-trivial. Not up there with rocket science but when I wanted to edit a powder scoop program to change the size and the size label it took enough effort that I decided to just go the old fashion route. Grind down a spent casing and solder a wire handle on it. In my defense I don't have the printer so not able to test changes and working through them via email was sort of a pain.

Might be an idea for OP to remove logo portion of 3D printer file before sharing, although I can see where one would like to see individuals having items that acknowledge ones efforts and their usefulness with their logo.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Might be an idea for OP to remove logo portion of 3D printer file before sharing, although I can see where one would like to see individuals having items that acknowledge ones efforts and their usefulness with their logo.
    I see that as giving in versus those taking without permission accepting responsibility. Stealing is stealing.

Boolit Mold
    There is kind of two fold to that entire thing. Despite numerous polite attempts to reach out, he has consistently refused to respond. To add to the situation, it has come to my attention that this individual may also be stealing work from other creators on the forum. With some minimal digging, others may discover their own work being unlawfully used and sold without their consent. So kind of a rant and an FYI.

I also know at some point he will probably read this.

Quote Originally Posted by tanders View Post
    It's time to address a recurring issue that's been cropping up within our small reloading community, and frankly, there's no excuse for it. While I've been open in sharing many of my designs with the public, it's imperative that we all understand and respect the terms outlined in the licensing agreements associated with these releases. Using these designs typically does not automatically grant permission to sell the items produced.

If you're considering printing and selling items based on my designs, or those of others, I implore you to reach out directly to the creator and request permission. Recently, I encountered a situation where I granted someone permission to use my design for their store under the condition that they remove my logo from the item. Regrettably, despite my clear instructions, the individual has failed to comply, leaving the item listed with my logo intact.

Let me be crystal clear: I will not remove my logo from the items I post due to concerns of intellectual property theft. However, removing the logo is a simple request that I may have been happy to accommodate if asked respectfully. It's disheartening to witness my work misrepresented in this manner, particularly when it's been listed for over a year without accommodating a simple task.
    IF they leave your name on the design guess who is libel if something goes wrong? I will give you two guesses. That is why I no longer make gun parts. I used to make them for a buddy of mine who had a hard time finding some parts with the understanding that my name was not to appear any where. Well that didn't happen so I no longer make gun parts except for myself.

ACC

I infer from the place the O.P. chose to post this, that the stolen and marketed designs are 3D printable .stl files. TylerR puts his logo on everything he has created, and posted in the bullet feeder thread/forum, I don't doubt unscrupulous individuals have done the same thing to him. Don't know what the answer is, but I consider anything with his logo his......even if I improve one or two of them. I always email him first with such modifications, so he can update his database with the upgraded files, it he wants them, or delete them if he doesn't......but I NEVER remove the logos, and I never sell, or take ownership of even modded ones. Personal use he blesses, nothing else. I believe in treating people as I want to be treated.....too bad there are those who don't.....they will pay on the other side.

I freely share what I design....no logos.....but I'd rather share them than hoard them. I doubt the unscrupulous can get rich from any of them.....but if they do they saw an opportunity I wasn't smart enough to see! But they could share the booty with the creator..... Maybe the O.P. should suggest such a thing with his thieving friend......
    Last edited by GWS; 03-05-2024 at 12:53 AM.

Tander's is a good friend of mine, and I feel his pain. Once you share your design freely you are at risk of being taken advantage of. I have been fortunate with the collator because there are a lot of good people online who have helped me identify and shutdown individuals who try to sell it. But it has taken effort to make that happen. GWS is also a good friend of mine, and has contributed more to the collator project than anyone else. I trust him to the degree that he has all the source code to the design, and I have never been concerned with that. It basically comes down to the fact that some people have integrity, and others not so much.

Tanders if you do figure out who this individual is please let us know, as it should be called out.

Boolit Master
    Lets be clear about something VERY important when it concerns absolutely ANYTHING related to 3d Printing, or really anything posted to the internet for others to use, the licensing says it all. Most items are distributed under the Creative Commons licensing mechanic. And unless they have a non-commercial / no derivatives clause anyone can do whatever they want to do with it....for the most part. And from a legal standpoint, unless you were to actually license someone separately to make said product for their store, there is nothing to protect that individual in the event you decide to change your mind. For this reason, most licenses are Creative Commons-Attribution. If you REALLY want your works to stay non-commercial, you need to license it Creative Commons Non-Commercial.

But here is the catch.... There is nobody to enforce this. You would need to file suit against the individual using your intellectual property. And this is cost prohibitive for most people. So, in essence, if you put it out there, the best bet is to just accept that someone is going to steal your works...

Now for a personal example. For years I was very involved in hobby electronics. And actively shared some of my works online. I ran a website, and would sell circuit boards for some of my projects for almost nothing - basically cost. As for any relevant code I always provided this free on my website, or through Github. I also provided schematics diagrams for my projects, again either through my website or Github. However, I never provided gerber files for my circuit boards. Why? Well, in short, China and Russia. The Chinese and Russians are well known for effectively taking other's intellectual property and selling it on eBay or Tindie, often times undercutting the actual creator. In an effort to prevent them from profiting off of my work I simply provided everything except for the board layout. If they wanted to copy it, they'd have to work to do it - possible, but unlikely...

Eventually after my projects were dated, or superseded by new designs I would open source the previous versions. Something I still do today when I do work on anything related. I've also been VERY outspoken about certain individuals within that VERY small community for effectively stealing other's intellectual property. One individual unfortunately created a VERY VERY POPULAR version of another's work which became the standard for the community. As much as I pointed out this theft, lack of acknowledgement, and failure to open source his derivative, the community ignored me. Even though the licensing for the original works prohibited this, the community didn't care.

The point I am making is, although I agree with the OP completely. The fact is that if you open your design up for distribution, it will be distributed. There is no stopping it. You either have to learn to live with that, or keep your designs closed.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Mold
    I've thought about sending a pineapple and sardine pizza to his house along with a letter of please quit using my design.